Worst airports - HCMC Vietnam makes the list.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Worst airports - HCMC Vietnam makes the list.

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Yeah, I saw this and couldn't understand HCMCs appearance - it's a pretty decent international terminal and a much better national one than Hanoi. Worst airport for me is Moscow, what a dump and the most expensive beer in history. Manama, Bahrain is my favourite - great lounge and so efficient when you want to get out too.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Qatar has been good for 3 years now. I'd say whatever airport Southern China flies to (Guangzhou) is the worst ever. DMK is terrible in how they handle taxis. Huuuuge line. They basically designed it in a terrible way on purpose so that people take the non-metered taxis.
At DMK, I just go up top to Departures and flag one dropping off. They don't do anything to prevent it like the cops and barriers at BKK. It saves you the 50B fee as well. The taxi queue has always been horrible at DMK. Favorite ? Other than the usual HKG and SIN, that would have to be ICN. It's underated and treats Economy folks better than anywhere. Best small (USM) Koh Samui. It's just gorgeous.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Qatar has been good for 3 years now. I'd say whatever airport Southern China flies to (Guangzhou) is the worst ever. DMK is terrible in how they handle taxis. Huuuuge line. They basically designed it in a terrible way on purpose so that people take the non-metered taxis.
Sydney is none too good either. Easily spend an hour waiting for a hugely over-priced cab.

God, we are a cosmopolitan lot.....
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I recently flew to Hong Kong via HCMC. We didn't have to check-in again and just walked through easily. My return flight was delayed due to a typhoon so we ended up sleeping there after arriving at 3am. Not my favourite airport but nothing in particular wrong with it either.
Scarier than malaria.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I must be using the wrong airline then. ):

People also said they were hit for bribes at HCMC. I haven't experienced this, but that might explain the bad rating.Anyone seen this ?
Numerous survey respondents reported that customs officers ask for bribes in order to move through the process faster, and those that declined paying quickly faced problems with their paperwork.
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/2015/ ... s-asia.htm
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

20 years of flying through HCMC and have never been asked. But, like Cambodia, this might happen only to certain nationalities...
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Yeah, 6 or 7 years ago I flew BKK-SGN and they told me that I was going to have to fly back because my visa started the next day. I was taken to the supervisor's office and bargained him down from $120 to 40. I figured that I had fucked up the form and had gotten off cheaply. Approximately a year later, I'm picking up another visa at the VN Embassy in BKK and I actually check it this time. Low and behold it starts a day late again - Ah ha ! I've talked to 8 or 9 other guys who done got did like me and they all got their visas in BKK on Wireless Rd like me. Stickman ended up writing a warning about the scam a couple years later.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Only got the visa 2-3 times from the BKK embassy; never had a problem
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

wackyjacky wrote:At DMK, I just go up top to Departures and flag one dropping off. They don't do anything to prevent it like the cops and barriers at BKK. It saves you the 50B fee as well. The taxi queue has always been horrible at DMK. Favorite ? Other than the usual HKG and SIN, that would have to be ICN. It's underated and treats Economy folks better than anywhere. Best small (USM) Koh Samui. It's just gorgeous.
Last flight into DMK and the taxi queue was 2 hours long and getting longer. Private cars were backed up by three hours. The Chinese were naturally queue-jumping, and westerners were too polite to stop them. We ended up taking a local bus to the nearest transit station and riding the train into the city.
hanno wrote:I fly through HCMC every other week and do not find it all that bad. A/C works, immigration is reasonably fast, and 3 Dollars for a beer is OK by airport standards.
Picked up some guests from PP airport on Monday and grabbed a couple of cold small bottles of water for them (it was a rugged day) - $3.40 for two 25c bottles at Dairy Queen. That "s.e." grin on the staff said it all.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Stroppy was smart to take the A1 to Mo Chit BTS. The other thing you can do at DMK during the evening clusterfuck is to take the walkway over to the Amari and have a couple happy hour beers by the pool. When it calms down you can get a cab from the hotel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic