Roundabouts vs traffic lights

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Roundabouts vs traffic lights

Post by phuketrichard »

we had 3 roundabouts here in phuket, every one is closed now
Thai's will NEVER yield right of way.

Put anyone behind a wheel and its THEIR ROAD an they are number 1
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Anchor Moy wrote:According to this article, the UK is going back to intersections with traffic lights, while the US is starting to build more roundabouts. I like roundabouts myself, since you make your own decisions.
Roundabouts promote more fluid traffic circulation and are supposed to reduce bad accidents because they decrease speed, but traffic lights give equal time to traffic on all roads at the intersection, which is important with heavy city traffic.
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/ ... ts-way-out

As for Cambodia, would it help to have more roundabouts and less traffic lights, since nobody pays attention to red lights anyway, or would that make things even worse ?
Well, lets take the Golden Lion roundabout in SNVL as an example; People drive both ways round that roundabout. One needs to be extremely alert when traversing it. I prefer traffic lights and something to stop cars from driving the wrong way down the road, it's bad enough that tuk tuks do it on Monivong let alone a badly driven Lexus or Land cruiser. Seeing as people often drive the wrong way at speed at night with no lights on, it seems to render traffic lights or roundabouts as a moot point.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I remember a busy four way junction in the UK controlled by lights. Always snarled up as the lights were never synced (long queue one side short in the other) and it'd take 10 mins to get through.

One day the lights were out and there was no queue! People just seemed to react better having to decide what to do.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

SinnSisamouth wrote:I remember a busy four way junction in the UK controlled by lights. Always snarled up as the lights were never synced (long queue one side short in the other) and it'd take 10 mins to get through.

One day the lights were out and there was no queue! People just seemed to react better having to decide what to do.

I like the Vietnamese Idea of traffic lights. 30 sec delay ether way. Keeps the traffic flowing and frustration low. PP traffic lights are the pits. Glad they seem to have changed the timing on the Monivong/ Russian boulevard section to a minute and a half as opposed to the 2.5 minutes they used to be. But they could certainly do with a few more on the southern half of Monivong, People cutting-in and crossing from all the side streets into speeding traffic.

One things for sure, you need to stay alert, and don't forget the lucky 2 dollar note under the seat!.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Gotta love the service I get on CEO:)
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

haha in the UK a lot of round abouts actually have traffic lights on now lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic