Minimum Wage for Factory Worker Is $140 In 2016

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Minimum Wage for Factory Worker Is $140 In 2016

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The minimum wage for factory worker is $140 for 2016

Phnom Penh: According to Koh Santepheap Daily News, Finally the committee of labor decided to increase the minimum wage for factory worker up to $135 for 2016 following the result of the poll 24/28. Apart from it, the government decided to add $5 on that minimum wage meaning factory worker will get $140 per month as basic salary in 2016.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Minimum Wage for Factory Worker Is $140 In 2016

Post by General Mackevili »

At this rate, they'll be making more than English teachers by 2020.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Garment sector wage set at $140

Cambodia has officially set its minimum wage for garment workers next year at $140, a $12 increase from the current monthly wage of $128, according to the Ministry of Labour.

Labour minister Ith Samheng announced today that the government's wage-setting group, the Labour Advisory Committee, first decided to increase the wage to $135, after which Prime Minister HE stepped in and mandated an additional $5.

“We are so happy to announce as well that Prime Minister HE added $5 more, so we received $140 as the new minimum wage in 2016 for the garment and footwear industry.”

More at: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/g ... ge-set-140
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

that's almost half of what workers in Thailand get paid. I.e. 300 baht a day equals US$258. And just from the point of view of enthusiasm and work ethic I would prefer to employ a Khmer worker any day.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

obelisks wrote:that's almost half of what workers in Thailand get paid. I.e. 300 baht a day equals US$258. And just from the point of view of enthusiasm and work ethic I would prefer to employ a Khmer worker any day.
" I would prefer to employ a Khmer worker any day "

if you want to know what I mean by this comment you should read this thread today and see not only the original post but also some of the comments that follow :lol:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861 ... and/page-1
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they will not get many applicants at that rate.
the real sweatshop minimum is over 200 now
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thats good news for them! :)
i thought the factories only paid like $80 pm or am i a little outdated now?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:thats good news for them! :)
As far as I know factory workers have the only mandatory minimum wage for laborers, and it's been over $100 for a while. As previously stated, with penalties (such as selling your body and soul to the company) the norm is approaching $200. Personally couldn't do it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:thats good news for them! :)
As far as I know factory workers have the only mandatory minimum wage for laborers, and it's been over $100 for a while. As previously stated, with penalties (such as selling your body and soul to the company) the norm is approaching $200. Personally couldn't do it.
maybe the ones getting $80 are the ones staying in the factories housing/apartments??

heres what i watched....

it says that the minimum wage is $80 and at this factory the boss says he pays his staff above the minimum wage between $175-200, but they all deny it...

how corrupt this country is what the minimum wage is and what people actually get paid can be completely different, ive seen many sources that claim the factory workers get between $2-3 per day
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think a lot of media sources like to exaggerate facts. Maybe if accommodation is provided they can pay a lower rate, but the days of $80 are long gone. As stated, the minimum will be $140, but most workers manage to take home much more. Work in a factory isn't fun, but the ones who do it do it for the overtime. That's when you make the real coin (figuratively speaking)coin. Same as many other jobs in the west that only end up paying well with the overtime. Some can't cut it, but for those who can it isn't too bad. Still, working conditions can vary enormously from factory to factory and work is boring...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic