PO Box at Sihanoukville Post Office?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

PO Box at Sihanoukville Post Office?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anybody have experience using a PO Box address at Sihanoukville PO ?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: PO Box at Sihanoukville PO ?

Post by General Mackevili »

I have a feeling someone has a nightmare story about this to share with us.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: PO Box at Sihanoukville Post Office?

Post by Sailorman »

Have had one for almost 4 years, almost no problem. I have things shipped EMS, track it and when I go to pick it up I give them a copy of the computer printout out so they can't say its not there. I did have a recent problem with the PP customs jerks, but an official for the post office was very helpful as the Sihanoukville PO employees were not, so I made a complaint. PO official from PP got right on the problem. (very unusual for a Cambodian official.)
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I have had one for 10 years without a single issue, less than when I had one in PP for close to 10 years before that.
Sailorman: why do you assume the postman would want to fuck you up ? I had hundreds of registered letters and hundred of parcels filled with goodies and none went missing without the need to be an arse with him...
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I get 90% of my deliveries. The lazy fucks only work about 4 hrs/day though. They're closed like 11 - 2:30. It appears that they don't have any sorting system either, as they always have to go through about 10 boxes to find my shit. They've got stuff piled up on desks and all over the floor. Often tracking will say that a package has been at the PO for a week, yet I'll get no notification, and they can't find it. They don't appear to be particularly larcenous, just lazy and incompetent. So far I've gotten about 17/20.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Barang: Once again you assume what the facts are. When you assume, you make an ass out of whom?

The one package I had trouble with was an EMS one from Thailand. It was packed in a box with a motorcycle company logo on the side. Customs held the box in PP. When I took my tracking sheet to the Snookyville PO all they said was "In Phnom Penh." I finally got a phone call from customs in PP, but they guy spoke very little English. I went back to the PO and asked them to call the customs number, and they would not until I made it clear I wasn't leaving until they sorted it out. The PO guy made a half hearted try and I told him to tell the customs to send it to the Snooky PO and I would pay the duty even though it was personal items. I went back for two or three days (with computer printout) asking about my package. It finally showed up and I paid the duty (bribe.)

I went on line and complained to the Post Office in PP. A very diligent PO officer got hold of me and said it was duty and the PO and customs really don't talk to each other. I let him know I knew it was a bribe and that the Snooky PO got a cut. He actually traveled to the Snooky PO and I believe had a come-to-jesus talk with them and I haven't had a problem since or paid any "customs fees." BTW/ The guy at the Snooky PO is the one in years past that would say my EMS package wasn't there, when they had actually put it in the back room. (thus the tracking printout.) Even with the tracking sheet they have tried to tell me its not there, but I point to my package and say "its right there."
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

There's a dark jockey sized Viet looking guy who seems like he works hard and knows what's going on. If I'm lucky enough to interact with him, everything goes pretty smoothly. It seems like he does about 3/4 of the work around there. I hope he's the boss, since he deserves to be.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

wackyjacky wrote:There's a dark jockey sized Viet looking guy who seems like he works hard and knows what's going on. If I'm lucky enough to interact with him, everything goes pretty smoothly. It seems like he does about 3/4 of the work around there. I hope he's the boss, since he deserves to be.
You bet !
About 8 years ago when the PO was very little busy and the staff comprised only the jockey and an assistant I was quite impressed by the cleanness of the place.
A few weeks of observation confirmed me it was the jockey wife that was cleaning it everyday as only about 10% of the locals manage to do successfully.
As my own very competent cleaning lady had quitted her job a few months before, I was in dire need of another professional one since I was only presented cleaning ladies that had no clue about the task and that never passed my week probation period. So I asked the post office lady if she would be willing to work half a day for a good salary in my nearby home. She was very enthousiastic with the idea but had to ask her husband first.

Of course it all went downhill from there with the jockey forbidding her to take the offer and giving me jealous stares for many months after that :lol:

I had to work hard to have him forget my stupid idea and come back to his usual helpful attitude :oops:

Ps: in case the readers cared, I of course finally found a really good one that is almost as good as an English butler and who have been working for me ever since :bow:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for the feedback. I will look out for the "jockey". :beer1:
steevee
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by steevee »

a related question:
Where can I find the postal rates to sent EMS package or normal postal package from SHV to Thailand?
- Is there a price per grams or kg?
- Can I pick up the empty postal boxes in the post office in SHV?
Thanks for the help guys.
(perhaps does the SHV post office have a website with the tariffs on?)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic