Banks in the Kingdom

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Banks in the Kingdom

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Guys and Gals, few questions as im wanting to open a bank account in Cambodia....
How easy is it opening an account, what documents do you need?
which is the best bank to go with, personal recommendations?
whats the likely cost of transferring money into them from an overseas bank account?
do any offer online banking?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Banks in the Kingdom

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I currently have accounts with Acleda, Canadia and ABA...I highly rate ABA Bank and would definitely recommend them. https://www.ababank.com/

Only requirements to open account are valid passport, with valid MEEV E-Type Visa, local phone number and/or copy of lease, plus minimum opening balance ($10 or 20, can't remember exactly but will be on their website).

Internet banking service is fantastic. Because I work outside of Cambodia this is very important for me, I do a lot of online banking and have had no complaints so far with this service. I can transfer money into local and overseas accounts with ease. Get the crypto card.

If you have any problems/queries whatsoever, they also have an online chat help service (kinda like messenger/skype), with competent English speaking staff that will assist you efficiently and promptly.

Inward/outward remittance rates can be found on their website. https://www.ababank.com/personal/money- ... transfers/

They also issue Visa/Mastercard debit cards which you can use for online payments/purchases, and use overseas (which I often do) without any problems.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Thanks so much for the response, i saw someone mention ABA on the other forum, I'm going to go with them i reckon...

when i was in Oz for a couple of months earlier this year, i opened up an account with ANZ, thinking that id be able to use the ANZ Royal ATM's without charge, turned out it didnt work lol
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sweet as bro! Forgot to mention, I have found their in-branch staff to be very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful at all times.

FYI re some of the other banks from my experience...

ANZR require a letter/contract from your employer in Cambodia or Business license in order to open an account, you are also required to maintain a minimum balance of $500 at all times or will be charged fees for having below the minimum balance. They have only recently started issuing Visa debit cards.

Canadia banks internet banking is absolutely useless, don't bother! Also they don't issue visa/mastercard debit cards, only credit cards of which you can only spend credit of up to 80% of your account balance (weird?), and ATM cards. I have found their customer service to be satisfactory.

Acleda have recently upgraded their internet banking, I haven't signed up for it yet but I haven't heard many positive reviews. When I was opening my account with them, they informed me that a letter/contract from my employer in Cambodia or Business license, were required in order to open an account, I went to 3 or 4 branches before I found one that would allow me to open an account without. At the time I opened my account, they informed me they were no longer issuing Visa debit cards, but have since started issuing them again, I haven't applied for one yet. I have found their customer service to be below average.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sweet, yeah ABA ATMS are everywhere and easily recognizable, and the internet banking is a key factor for me as i do most my banking online
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ANZR and ANZ are not the same bank, and you will pay big big dolla to transfer money between them. Source: butt hurt.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:sweet, yeah ABA ATMS are everywhere and easily recognizable, and the internet banking is a key factor for me as i do most my banking online
http://www.rationalfx.com/
This is a link for FX transfer all online. There is still a small fee but the rates are usually much better than bank rates.
Make sure you open an account when your in the UK using your UK info.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

CJM555 wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:sweet, yeah ABA ATMS are everywhere and easily recognizable, and the internet banking is a key factor for me as i do most my banking online
http://www.rationalfx.com/
This is a link for FX transfer all online. There is still a small fee but the rates are usually much better than bank rates.
Make sure you open an account when your in the UK using your UK info.
how would you get the money once its been transfered?
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

You'd need a bank account over here.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

[quote="PSD-Kiwi"]I currently have accounts with Acleda, Canadia and ABA...I highly rate ABA Bank and would definitely recommend them. https://www.ababank.com/

Only requirements to open account are valid passport, with valid MEEV E-Type Visa, local phone number and/or copy of lease, plus minimum opening balance ($10 or 20, can't remember exactly but will be on their website).
/quote]

A bit more info to add on ABA.
To open an account at ABA Bank SV you need:
-your passport with E visa of 6mths or longer
-an address and phone n°- no proof asked
-$10 to open the account
The card takes a few days, but your account is operational immediately - you get a bank book, can transfer money from overseas etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic