Male Teacher Strips 11 Year Old Female Student as Punishment

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Male Teacher Strips 11 Year Old Female Student as Punish

Post by LTO »

And just to make the story a bit more twisted, change the teacher from Khmer to a foreigner and imagine the hue the cry over his multiple sexual offenses against children, the media outrage over him trying to buy her family off, the accusations of pedophilia, the indignation over trying to excuse it as 'mental illness,' the usual gaggle of NGOs jostling to be involved in busting the guy, rescuing the girl and get quoted in the Daily and the Post for their heroic efforts to take down this evil pervert, protect the child and find justice for her. But the perp is Khmer so he can't be a pedo, there are no international fund-raising headlines in busting Cambodians, and that is where NGO interest in protecting Khmer children ends.

So we are left with the Cambodian officials openly pressuring the child to drop the charges and dickering over the price because rapists get off cheaper than what this poor family is willing to accept to forego justice.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LTO wrote:And just to make the story a bit more twisted, change the teacher from Khmer to a foreigner and imagine the hue the cry over his multiple sexual offenses against children, the media outrage over him trying to buy her family off, the accusations of pedophilia, the indignation over trying to excuse it as 'mental illness,' the usual gaggle of NGOs jostling to be involved in busting the guy, rescuing the girl and get quoted in the Daily and the Post for their heroic efforts to take down this evil pervert, protect the child and find justice for her. But the perp is Khmer so he can't be a pedo, there are no international fund-raising headlines in busting Cambodians, and that is where NGO interest in protecting Khmer children ends.

So we are left with the Cambodian officials openly pressuring the child to drop the charges and dickering over the price because rapists get off cheaper than what this poor family is willing to accept to forego justice.
This. In a nutshell.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:please:
The teacher agreed to pay 2000 dollar as compensation, but she had to change her accusation from stripping off skirt to threatening and withdraw her lawsuit. The prosecutor told her that if she changed something in her lawsuit, she would become defendant. So, she neither refused to change her lawsuit nor withdraw her lawsuit. Until now, there is no development in this case.
Having comprehension problems I think - the teacher agrees to pay out $2000 if the girl's family drop the charges. BUT the prosecutor is pressuring(threatening) her with subsequent prosecution if she changes her story/drops the charges against the teacher/accepts the payment. So, he is the one who wants to push on with the conviction of the teacher? Right ?

All this is crazy of course; it should not be EITHER get convicted OR pay - the teacher should be convicted, lose his job AND pay damages to the girl.
I was just wondering about the role of the prosecutor here.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

If I had been there, you would all have been reading about a murdered Khmer teacher.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I read somewhere - I think it was in Alex Hinton's Why did you kill?, but I've lost the file and can't get access on the net - that traditional teaching methods in Cambodia were largely constructed on shaming pupils in order to teach them to keep to their "place" and not to question authority.

Unfortunately as I say, I'm not sure where this comes from. Does anyone have a copy of Why did you kill?? Even if it's not the document I'm thinking of, it is fascinating reading about Cambodian society and mentality.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:

Then, Mr. Eng Ra, deputy commune chief, relative of the teacher said 300 dollar compensation is too much, because there was a case about rape and the compensation wasn’t that much. Her granddaughter just had her skirt stripped off and requires 300 dollars compensation that is too much.
This guy is not deserved with this position. He should go home and learn more about child's right. I'm sure that his mouth couldn't say this word if it happened to his daughter.
Last edited by prahkeitouj on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote:I read somewhere - I think it was in Alex Hinton's Why did you kill?, but I've lost the file and can't get access on the net - that traditional teaching methods in Cambodia were largely constructed on shaming pupils in order to teach them to keep to their "place" and not to question authority.

Unfortunately as I say, I'm not sure where this comes from. Does anyone have a copy of Why did you kill?? Even if it's not the document I'm thinking of, it is fascinating reading about Cambodian society and mentality.
That would be 'Why did they kill?'

Tis here: http://booksaboutcambodia.com/home/hist ... jay-lifton

:beer3:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thx UT. :beer3:

Back OT, things become clearer in this PPP article - the family are going to trial and now APLE are involved there are sexual abuse allegations to answer to: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... hild-strip
...However, the victim’s family has refused further negotiations, insisting on legal action.

“Let the court solve this case,” said the victim’s grandmother, Roath Saron. “The act of the teacher has damaged the reputation and dignity of my granddaughter, who will suffer for the rest of her life.”

Children’s rights groups have confirmed that the act constitutes sexual indecency and should be dealt with through the criminal code...
Would be good if this case gets the message out that this is all totally unacceptable.

Also be good if it was a sign that the days of payoffs is over,but one thing at a time...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

where are the NGO's ?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Anchor Moy wrote:Back OT, things become clearer in this PPP article - the family are going to trial and now APLE are involved there are sexual abuse allegations to answer to: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... hild-strip ...
Not sure we can say yet that APLE 'is involved,' but at least the Post called them and got a quote out of them. So if nothing else, they know people are looking now. Though they seem unsure as to whether a Khmer teacher stripping children naked constitutes 'sexual abuse.' I wonder if that would be a question in APLE's mind if the teacher was a foreigner.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic