British English Vs American English

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: British English Vs American English

Post by Samouth »

GonzoBobH wrote::beer3: Samouth, congrats again.

To refer back to earlier posts and to explain how British and American English came to be different, here's a bit about Noah Webster, an American Revolutionary, who following America's (then colonists) war with Great Britain, from April 19, 1775 – September 3, 1783, call it a successful act of treason or fight for independence (truth be told, a bit of both) wanted to make America different and did so by changing the spelling of words and then having these changes taught to school children. This I read he believed would help the new nation stay a nation and help it feel superior to England (and reading posts here, it's hard to argue it didn't work).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

Cheers!
Thanks for the link. I actually have been told like this too, but i have never managed to find the reference.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

GonzoBobH wrote::beer3: Samouth, congrats again.

To refer back to earlier posts and to explain how British and American English came to be different, here's a bit about Noah Webster, an American Revolutionary, who following America's (then colonists) war with Great Britain, from April 19, 1775 – September 3, 1783, call it a successful act of treason or fight for independence (truth be told, a bit of both) wanted to make America different and did so by changing the spelling of words and then having these changes taught to school children. This I read he believed would help the new nation stay a nation and help it feel superior to England (and reading posts here, it's hard to argue it didn't work).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

Cheers!
LOL, why do Americans say 'barks' when referring to a box?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:LOL, why do Americans say 'barks' when referring to a box?
And what's up with people from Boston?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

and why do they say 'W' like 'dubya'
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Don't forget 'Z' aka Zeeeee

and route.

Did you know that Americans will say "Take this route to get to ..." (route pronounced as in 'out'),
but,
when it comes to 'Route 66', they pronounce it like 'root'.

or, so I was told or heard.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:^^ Don't forget 'Z' aka Zeeeee

and route.

Did you know that Americans will say "Take this route to get to ..." (route pronounced as in 'out'),
but,
when it comes to 'Route 66', they pronounce it like 'root'.

or, so I was told or heard.
haha they do n all, i need to make their bloody mind up lol
hoodedviper
Expatriate

Post by hoodedviper »

To say that all Americans say route so that the dipthong makes that word rhyme with "out" is of course wrong. Some do,but where I come from it sounds exactly like "root." There are many regional variants just as there are in England, but far fewer in the US. Frankly, most dialects from northern England sound more like speech impediments to me than a proper language.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Jamie, that's obviously a challenge...
hoodedviper
Expatriate

Post by hoodedviper »

Actually I saw it more as a rebuttal to some of the amateurish cheap shots proffered by snobs on the other side of the pond. I don't care for cheap shots, but I respect damn good ones.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

haha really? I say old chap, Americans still think we speak in the old 1700's tongue they do, jolly good, smashing i say squire

the worst thing about living in south east asia is that no one understands northern english and i have to speak broken asian-english to not only the locals but to the expats too, even when i moved to melbourne for a few months, i had the same problem, having to speak in broken english in an english speaking country is frustrating lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic