Borrowed words

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: Borrowed words

Post by flying chicken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:See above. Jesus are you that dense? We're not saying Chan, ongkieh etc are French words... Did you fail second grade or something?
We're just saying some given names come from French:
Lundy is a Khmerization of Lundi (which means Monday in French). Marady (mardi, Tuesday), Jeudy (Jeudi/Thursday), Diamong/Diamond (diamant=diamond) and so on... I'm pretty sure I also recall a few French adjectives being used as names. It's the same as naming your kid Chan or Makara, but using the French word instead because it sounds special/a bit different.

I also said a lot of words were borrowed from French:
tou-ne-vii=tournevis (screw driver), tu-yo-(teuk)=tuyau (pipe) etc.
Nevermind, I miss read what I quoted above...but if you start reading from my original post you might get the story. Are a french btw? Or someone trying to be pretentious on the cyberspace when at home eating the 700 riel pork flavored Mama''snoodle...wait, thats me! Hahahahaha
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
flying chicken wrote:And did you even read my final question above?.......Before the colonization.
I saw it, but:
1. I'm not a Khmer language scholar. The language was likely quite different from modern Khmer.
2. I failed to see the relevance of that question with the issue at hand (your confusion about some words having French origins).
flying chicken wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:See above. Jesus are you that dense? We're not saying Chan, ongkieh etc are French words... Did you fail second grade or something?
We're just saying some given names come from French:
Lundy is a Khmerization of Lundi (which means Monday in French). Marady (mardi, Tuesday), Jeudy (Jeudi/Thursday), Diamong/Diamond (diamant=diamond) and so on... I'm pretty sure I also recall a few French adjectives being used as names. It's the same as naming your kid Chan or Makara, but using the French word instead because it sounds special/a bit different.

I also said a lot of words were borrowed from French:
tou-ne-vii=tournevis (screw driver), tu-yo-(teuk)=tuyau (pipe) etc.
My older sister's names Longdi follows by Rithy and Sophak. By your impeccable logic those names come from France too.
I don't think it's my logic that has a problem, but your comprehension skills... Where did you see myself of Joon say that ALL khmer given names come from French?! That's obviously ridiculous. Rithy and Sopheak certainly don't have French origins (they even have meanings in Khmer).

What we said is that SOME names have French origins. Ask anyone called Diamond what their name means and they'll tell you it's French for diamond. So their parents could have given them the traditional Khmer name Pich, but instead chose Diamond/g because they like the ring it has or whatever. That's all... Not sure why you're talking about pre-colonial days of the week and assuming all given names are French or something...
My reading comprehension is fine, even 3 days of sleep deprivation. I know many friends and acquaintances with their first name with the Pich.....i.e. Pich-sokmonony, Keo-sopich etc. But I doubt and truly doubt you that it came from the French influece. Why? Because the word existed long before French colonization.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

No problem, there was obviously some confusion because Stroppychops was also confused at first. And no, I'm certainly not French!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Ah man... LOL. Try reading that again. I CLEARLY SAY that Pich is a Khmer name... It means Diamond. But the name "Diamong/d" means Diamond in French. Pich=Khmer. Diamond=French. Got it?
So their parents could have given them the traditional Khmer name Pich, but instead chose Diamond/g because they like the ring it has or whatever. That's all...
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Let me put it this way...gold, diamond and salt etc...how do they trade and communicate a millennia ago?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Ah man... LOL. Try reading that again. I CLEARLY SAY that Pich is a Khmer name... It means Diamond. But the name "Diamong/d" means Diamond in French. Pich=Khmer. Diamond=French. Got it?
So their parents could have given them the traditional Khmer name Pich, but instead chose Diamond/g because they like the ring it has or whatever. That's all...
No
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Flying Chicken, I need to sit down with you and explain to you.

Did you ever meet people whose names are Lundy, Marady/Mardy, Jeudy, Samedy, Dimanche, Soley, Lalune, Unique, Deeyamorng, Belle, and Jolie?
Those names are borrowed from French.
Got it, now?

By the way, I'm the French chick who brought that up about the given names, after Lexus mentioned that Khmer borrows several French words.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

You and Beetlejuice should sit on somewhere on St214 and discuss in secrecy. As for the name Long di, you will find that many start with the word Long, di means good or go in Thai depends how you pronounce it, but dont know its origin in Khmer. So Huk Lundy who got assassinated (which he is still alive according to my research, well the story didnt add up anyway) his name must of given due to the French influence too in the 1950s. Hmmmm?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Dude, I only answered your question and share the tidbits I know of. Why are you fucking defensive?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Am I being defensive? Ok, maybe I do. Care to help out letting the later generations know of the actual truth and write about it. I dont think my questions are that complicated, it is a straight-forward inquiries in my latter posts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic