Couple Hacked and Stabbed Each Other to Death

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Couple Hacked and Stabbed Each Other to Death

Post by John Bingham »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:agreed there seems to be so much of this about, has cambodia always been like this? is it just because were becoming more aware due to the internet/smart phones?
I think Cambodia is always like this and really violence. The reasons that you don't see kinda stories because most of English news papers in Cambodia don't cover all of these stories.
There have always been plenty of incidents like these. For a long time the only way most foreigners would learn of them would be from the Phnom Penh Post Police Blotter. The availability of smart phones and the fact that many Cambodian newspapers have websites now mean the stories/pictures spread a bit further.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

prahkeitouj wrote:Some people are really violent. I think they have mental problem but they just don't notice that it is illness and then it becomes serious. Maybe most of Cambodians don't know what is mental illness.
:thumb:
Even in developed countries mental illness is a big problem. In any country, it is particularly difficult to get help when you are poor, uneducated and have nobody to help you get the help you need.
John Bingham wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:agreed there seems to be so much of this about, has cambodia always been like this? is it just because were becoming more aware due to the internet/smart phones?
I think Cambodia is always like this and really violence. The reasons that you don't see kinda stories because most of English news papers in Cambodia don't cover all of these stories.
There have always been plenty of incidents like these. For a long time the only way most foreigners would learn of them would be from the Phnom Penh Post Police Blotter. The availability of smart phones and the fact that many Cambodian newspapers have websites now mean the stories/pictures spread a bit further.
Better get all this stuff out in the open where people can see IMO. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It's hard to deny that there's a problem with violence when stuff like this is out there almost every day; and that includes the fact that something should be done to address the lack of mental health care. Where are the NGOs ? Where is the govt ?
(I know...and where is Father Xmas and the tooth fairy ? Sigh.)
Username Taken wrote:^^ Lucky we have CEOCambodiaNews to keep us informed.
LOL Thanks, :bow: ...I think.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I think what the difficult thing to deal is when people don't accept that they have mental illness and they need to be cured.
I've read this site tonight and I saw some action that we should do when we have conflict.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/be ... ign=FBPost
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

prahkeitouj wrote:I think what the difficult thing to deal is when people don't accept that they have mental illness and they need to be cured.
Prahkeitouj ,
Admitting or recognizing mental illness is important for patients and also health care professionals but from my observations in asia it's always been an area of least concern—the low man on the totem pole.

You start with things like basic hygiene all the way to advanced micro-surgery, but mental healthcare seems to be far behind in asia even in the more developed countries. And there is a negative moral and social stigma attached to it, along with a philosophy of asian stoicism and fatalistic acceptance. These unscientific attitudes here in asia hinder the progress of treating mental illness which includes everything from mild depression to schizophrenia and PTSD.

In South Korea a private company can deny someone employment if he/she has ever visited a psychiatrist. Although as of 2015 some think tanks ranked ROK as the most developed nation in Asia, what would it matter if South Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the OECD and some of the most stressed-out, overly-competitive and unhappiest citizens in the world?!?

Prahkeitouj , Cambodia and the Khmer people have survived tremendous horrors and I have no doubt mental health issues are serious and pervasive, but I sadly think present and future Khmer health professionals will focus first on raising the level of competence in all OTHER areas of allopathic medicine before focusing on mental health and psychiatry. Just my opinion, but I think you will know better.

Reading about so many of these types of incidents is informative but troubling.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Switzerland: 45 psychiatrists per 100,000 inhabitants.

Cambodia: 0.16 psychiatrists per 100,000 inhabitants.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

hanno wrote:Switzerland: 45 psychiatrists per 100,000 inhabitants.

United States: 10 psychiatrists per 100,000 inhabitants.

United States: 85,000 guns per 100,000 inhabitants.

Sounds reasonable to me. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

General Mackevili wrote:
hanno wrote:Switzerland: 45 psychiatrists per 100,000 inhabitants.

United States: 10 psychiatrists per 100,000 inhabitants.

United States: 85,000 guns per 100,000 inhabitants.

Sounds reasonable to me. Image
Wow, I didn't know the numbers were so low in KOW!
And of the Khmer psychiatrists in Cambodia I ponder how many have completed
their internship, residency, and post-doctoral training properly? :unknown:

I think SOME Americans would rather keep their guns and remain kah-razee rather than
give up their guns and attain some sort of zen-like contentment.

And, of course, there should be more psychiatrists in Cambodia
and that’s just for the expats. ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

John Bingham wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Agree with that. That's why i said Cambodia has been always like this.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

This is the Cambodian version of Romeo and Juliet.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Therapist wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I think what the difficult thing to deal is when people don't accept that they have mental illness and they need to be cured.
Prahkeitouj ,
Admitting or recognizing mental illness is important for patients and also health care professionals but from my observations in asia it's always been an area of least concern—the low man on the totem pole.

You start with things like basic hygiene all the way to advanced micro-surgery, but mental healthcare seems to be far behind in asia even in the more developed countries. And there is a negative moral and social stigma attached to it, along with a philosophy of asian stoicism and fatalistic acceptance. These unscientific attitudes here in asia hinder the progress of treating mental illness which includes everything from mild depression to schizophrenia and PTSD.

In South Korea a private company can deny someone employment if he/she has ever visited a psychiatrist. Although as of 2015 some think tanks ranked ROK as the most developed nation in Asia, what would it matter if South Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the OECD and some of the most stressed-out, overly-competitive and unhappiest citizens in the world?!?

Prahkeitouj , Cambodia and the Khmer people have survived tremendous horrors and I have no doubt mental health issues are serious and pervasive, but I sadly think present and future Khmer health professionals will focus first on raising the level of competence in all OTHER areas of allopathic medicine before focusing on mental health and psychiatry. Just my opinion, but I think you will know better.

Reading about so many of these types of incidents is informative but troubling.
Do they need to let the company know about history of their health?(in Korea).
In Cambodia, it is secret if you go to see psychologist. A friend had mental problem, spent many years and a lot for her illness. she was really hard to stop using the drug. Finally she could overcome it by reducing taking pill without let the psychologist know about it. Another colleague was s chocked of stamping at Pich bridge during Water Festival. She went to see psychologist but had same problem like my friend too. I think psychologists are only for people who have money and admit that they have metal illness. But how can we find the reliable one? How can the poor can have this service if they have it?
At least the way of suicide in Cambodia don't bother the public property like in Korea and Japan.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic