Feel dementia coming on ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Feel dementia coming on ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Drink more red wine ! Unfortunately, you need to drink about 1000 bottles a day for it to have an effect. I do my best but I don't remember any more why I have to drink so much. :crazy:
Never mind, i'm having fun trying.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/re ... 98719.html
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Feel dementia coming on ?

Post by Sailorman »

I take Resveratrol pills. Healthy stuff in red wine.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Grapes and shit.
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

BOFH wrote:Grapes and shit.
Essentially on the money BOFH:

For what it's worth:

Resveratrol: Don't Buy the Hype
Stephen Barrett, M.D.

You can read the whole article here:
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... atrol.html

Last paragraph:

The Bottom Line
Epidemiologic studies can find associations between the consumption of foods or dietary supplements and various health outcomes. Animal experiments can demonstrate what can happen in the species tested. However, only humanclinical trials can determine whether supplementation is useful for humans. Most clinical trials of other antioxidants have failed to demonstrate the benefits suggested by preliminary studies. Some substances—most notably beta-carotene—have even produced adverse effects. Prior to 2010, resveratrol had not been tested in clinical trials. Since that time there have been some, most of which were small, short-term (a year of less), and designed to evaluate possible therapeutic effects rather than disease-preventive effects. A trial to evaluate preventive effects would need to be large and lengthy and would therefore be extremely expensive [23].

My advice is to ignore the hype surrounding resveratrol and eat a balanced diet that contains adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables.

-- Stephen Barrett, M.D.

BTW, my degree was in biochemistry so I understand the skepticism of the research literature here BUT I still take supplements (vitamins, nootropics, etc) when I can afford them in the event they discover that they do work in humans. Science in the area of dietary supplements was/is an ongoing discovery process and rather murky because of relaxed FDA supervision when I was in the states; not sure what the regulations are now.

Actually from the FDA site:
Dietary supplement manufacturers and distributors are not required to obtain approval from FDA before marketing dietary supplements. Before a firm markets a dietary supplement, the firm is responsible for ensuring that

-the products it manufactures or distributes are safe
-any claims made about the products are not false or misleading
-the products comply with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and FDA regulations in all other respects

Eat your fruits and veggies boys and girls.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic