Foreign language for your Cambodian friends ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Foreign language for your Cambodian friends ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Samouth wrote:
Hotdigr wrote:I would suggest he learn Chinese. Their influence in this country/region is huge and second to no one . And its growing bigger day by day.
Yes Chinese is a must language for Cambodian to learn for the fact that there are more and more Chinese came to invest in Cambodia, however i personally don't like working with Chinese people. I have never worked with them, but just feel like i can't work with them. I prefer working with Westerners.
Russian ?
Or even more difficult ... learn Australian. :dragonchase:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Samouth wrote:If You were asked by your Cambodian friends to give him or her some suggestions on what foreign languages beside English that she or he should learn, what language would you suggest and why ?

... BTW, Are there really many German companies in Cambodia?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Spanish and French are good for travelling, but not for much else (though French is quite useful here, because of the high number of French businesses and expats). German is a business language more than anything. Given tbst there are relatively few German companies here that I know of, I wouldn't say it's a very useful language for a Cambodian to learn. ..
I think it then depends if you are learning a language to use in Cambodia, or if you aim to work overseas or for an international company.[/quote]

I think i will just use it in Cambodia, but my aim is to work with international companies where speaking other language than English is a bonus. BTW, i also do think about working oversea, but i don't think i can work somewhere else than Southeast Asia. So, just speaking English should be fine.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Hotdigr wrote:I would suggest he learn Chinese. Their influence in this country/region is huge and second to no one . And its growing bigger day by day.
Yes Chinese is a must language for Cambodian to learn for the fact that there are more and more Chinese came to invest in Cambodia, however i personally don't like working with Chinese people. I have never worked with them, but just feel like i can't work with them. I prefer working with Westerners.
Russian ?
Or even more difficult ... learn Australian. :dragonchase:
haha but there are some Russian who don't consider themselves as Westerner if they are from the Asian part.

Yes. I can speak Australian a little bit.

G'day mate? Do you know where is the dunny ? :lol:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ Agree with BKL. Those were the languages that came to mind for me.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

How about Esperanto?
I think learning a language we have to have a goal.
I want to study English, Thai , Chinese and Fench.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

prahkeitouj wrote:I want to study English, Thai , Chinese and Fench.
And, how about Esperanto? :whip:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Username Taken wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I want to study English, Thai , Chinese and Fench.
And, how about Esperanto? :whip:
No! I like Europe but I'm not interested in it. Only learning English is enough for me.
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Post by qinjingyou »

prahkeitouj wrote: I want to study English, Thai , Chinese and Fench.
That should keep you busy for awhile.
在见
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

qinjingyou wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote: I want to study English, Thai , Chinese and Fench.
That should keep you busy for awhile.
I learn English only. Others are just my attempt.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Esperanto is not limited to Europe in any way. It has a notable presence in 120 countries via The Universal Esperanto Association. The Cambodian Esperanto Association was founded in 1993: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/e ... s-cambodia

Anybody should learn the language that they want to speak. If they do not want to speak the language then they will never learn it. There is no point in advicing people what to learn. They will learn what they want to learn either way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic