Fire at Key Club last night, Killed 5 and Injured 2

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: According to Koh Santepeahdaily News, there was a fire at Key Club which killed 5 people and seriously injured 2. The Key Club is located along national road number 3, Toul Roka Village, Chak Angre Krom commune, Mean Chey District, Phnom Penh.

This incident happened around 8:30 pm on 7, September, 2015 at Key Club. Police confirmed that five people have died in this incident.

1. Ke Lyna, 16 years old
2. Sao Mesa, 19 years old
3. Teoun Sreyroth, 17 years old

The identities of other victims were not known.

According to two of the victim name Kong Narin, 17 years and Both Bunda, 17 years who witnessed this incident, they said before the fire started, they were preparing to welcome guests. Then they saw the fire started burning into flame from the DJ desk.

Police added, last year, there was a fire at this club too which killed 3 people including the owner’s wife.

Video (Graphic)

Engrish:
Spoiler:
he fire burned the club Key (KEY) exclusively men - 2 5 people injured

Enter the text: the sun

Tuesday, September 8, 2015, 08:00

Phnom Penh: a terrifying blaze killed 5 men and 2 others were seriously injured in club entertainment club cookies which lies along the National Road 2 Tuol Roka village Angre Krom commune, Phnom Penh.

The incident took place at about 08 and 30 minutes the night of 7 September 2015 in a disco club brand cookies competent club scene claimed the dead included staff 1. 16-year-old Elijah accommodation block 1 Village neighborhood net 2nd Black died Saturday aged 19 accommodation block 1 Village neighborhood are black grille factory 3 Sothoeun 17-year-old girl accommodation block 1 Village neighborhood are black mesh group died, while the bodies of the victims 2 and victim 2 others Resort serious injuries jurisdiction does not know the identity yet.

According to Kong's 17-year-old Narin and infrastructure advances Bun, 17, has lived commune Prek drought black grille Province as victims in the incident, said that before the incident is currently preparing to open Reception know How intense fire from music DJ.

He said he tried to knock on the door staff who were lying on the mezzanine room as the fire intensified, but no response with him. Then I decided to escape out the back gate. Post Angre district police officer said that he saw thick black smoke Huy but no flames he and citizens as much a surprise to the authorities immediately after the intervention saw this happen.

Neth Vantha said that the fire incident occurred about 2 hours, firefighters extinguished by police intervention used cars Many firefighters and prevent spread to the neighboring houses. But what should regret the incident shocking, killing a boy and 4 female employees in this club.

Authorities added that the above victims who died was caused by inhalation to lose oxygen and air fire one side is also sent to the hospital died.

It should be noted that a year ago, on November 6, 2014, at 9 and 45 am this brand cookies ever blaze happened at the club that has killed 3 people, including a wife, a boss. Opportunistic, competent municipal office of fire prevention and also appealed to the people in the capital who have a business, big or small craft be caution in the use of gas, electricity, fire, incense, candles and all the public and private sectors are equipped with fire extinguishers in the workplace. Moreover, citizens and local authorities shall cooperate intervention First of all, when the fire occurred and fire brigade 666.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Fire at Key Club last night, Killed 5 and Injured 2

Post by juansweetpotato »

Fuck! Nasty. Now, will someone believe me when I say Khmer's are generally shit at electrics. I even offered my services at that Christian Don Bosco school. The 'Electricians' running the course said no volunteering in their department - they were making too much money from their reputation. A lot of people used them around Otres etc. I saw their work ........ Another symptom of why Cambodia will take longer than it should to reach standard.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Just yesterday I saw the Prakas stating that it was illegal for under 18's to go into clubs amd Karaokes.

Good to see that the fire safety regulations were rigorously enforced after the last lethal fire.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Good to see that the fire safety regulations were rigorously enforced after the last lethal fire.
Police added, last year, there was a fire at this club too which killed 3 people including the owner’s wife.
Well, if that didn't get him to fix the electricity properly ... :x

On a side note, are there places (technical colleges) where you can learn about electricity, or are all the "electricians" self-taught / apprentices ? I have seen some really bad work, but I never knew if it was because the trained electricians were useless, or whether it was because the boss was hiring cheap labour that didn't have a clue.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Nothing here is grounded. An accident looking for a place to happen. Also the fire dept's are useless. No turn out gear to wear, no scott air-packs (SCBA), little or no training, no adjustable nozzles (stream, semi-fog, fog) which makes them useless.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Sailorman wrote:Nothing here is grounded. An accident looking for a place to happen. Also the fire dept's are useless. No turn out gear to wear, no scott air-packs (SCBA), little or no training, no adjustable nozzles (stream, semi-fog, fog) which makes them useless.
No water and if you don't pay USD 800 up front, they won't even get off their trucks.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

There is an NGO is Siem Reap who train electricians. The NGO is called Grace House and the electrical project is called Sparkies I believe. They turn out electricians of a high standard who know how to earth stuff.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:
hanno wrote: Good to see that the fire safety regulations were rigorously enforced after the last lethal fire.
Well, if that didn't get him to fix the electricity properly ... :x

On a side note, are there places (technical colleges) where you can learn about electricity, or are all the "electricians" self-taught / apprentices ? I have seen some really bad work, but I never knew if it was because the trained electricians were useless, or whether it was because the boss was hiring cheap labour that didn't have a clue.
On a side note, are there places (technical colleges) where you can learn about electricity
Yes, there are. I only know of Don Bsco, but there may well be others?
are all the "electricians" self-taught / apprentices ?
They are a mixture of self taught apprentices. Not quite the same standards as in the west. Too much reliance on overcompensation for insecurity brought about by a lack of knowledge/ skills plus a need to make as much money as possible. Barang are just as bad as Khmer when it comes to hiring cheap. But Barang don't get it cheap!! :facepalm: Still they think they do. I have pulled a lot of burnt supply cables out from under grass huts !!
but I never knew if it was because the trained electricians were useless, or whether it was because the boss was hiring cheap labour that didn't have a clue.
I think you have covered the 2 most common scenarios. What shocked me is the Bosco teachers have no desire to learn modern methods or train their Khmer students with these practices . They seem to use 1950's French ideas (wire twists instead of connector strips or junction boxes, but without the twist caps) mixed with saving money to make more profit ( joining lengths of wire with aforementioned twists (no insulation tape where the work can't be seen, eg 25 mtr cable may well have 5 pieces of cable connected together, and not all the same size or spec!) They have no idea of circuit design / loading fr safety, and shockingly, no interest in learning. It was after discovering this and other things I decided to give up trying. They are just too 'special' for me. (electricians and customers).
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Sailorman wrote:Nothing here is grounded. An accident looking for a place to happen. Also the fire dept's are useless. No turn out gear to wear, no scott air-packs (SCBA), little or no training, no adjustable nozzles (stream, semi-fog, fog) which makes them useless.
Grounding is good. Extra layer of safety, but not strictly necessary unless it's for a generator. RCD's and MCBs have been around for ages.$28 for genuine Hager RCD, but why install them? After all they have only been law in the west for the last 15 odd years. It was probably the DJ plugging in his Chinese straightening tongs anyway.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

There is an Australian NGO that trains Firefighters or at least they say they do. My guess its like the rest of the NGO's which are just a money scam. I volunteered to teach (for free), have the documentation/certificates/experience, but was told thanks, but no. My guess is I was getting into their rice bowl. Lucky, everything here is made out of concrete.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic