Vietnam visa run...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
justincase
Tourist

Vietnam visa run...

Post by justincase »

wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Vietnam visa run...

Post by wackyjacky »

If he thought that was "a nightmare", he should try Koh Kong. He'll have a nervous breakdown !
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

wackyjacky wrote:If he thought that was "a nightmare", he should try Koh Kong. He'll have a nervous breakdown !
I thought it didn't sound overly bad either. But, his point was that this can be a very off-putting experience for tourists, and may be one of the reasons for the drop in visitors to Vietnam. Since most tourists will only visit once, I don't really agree. There is probably a more negative attitude toward individual travellers also, so this would not affect the tour groups.

However, that's no reason not to improve the border crossings. Most of them are a painful process. The immigration officials in the region have made scowling a work of art.
Anyone want to nominate a "good" land border crossing ?
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Walking or driving into Tijuana.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

He should try to bring some goods from Vietnam into Cambodia or from Cambodia into Vietnam. Even with the help of a customs broker it will take a full day, not to mention a minimum of $100 as tea money.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I think a lot of tourists will admit they like Vietnam and want to come back because there's a lot more to see or to just enjoy the likes of Saigon and, well, everywhere. In the next sentence they vow not to come back because of the miserable visa situation: dealing with a third party, waiting for email, waiting and waiting and waiting at SGN VoA window with no discernible queue or organization.

Many people cross the land borders too. I spent a lot of time on the Phnom Penh-Chau Doc boat and in An Giang province. Lots of foreigners find the boat service appealing and cheaper. But I always heard the complaining about dealing with Viet officials. There was always a long wait even though there were only 8-10 non-ASEAN people. Anyway, since I crossed on land a lot, I was informed by a Viet that if I drop 50,000 in the passport, things would move swiftly and without trouble. It was true. Those dong turned those frowns upside down. Every time.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

ExPenhMan wrote:I think a lot of tourists will admit they like Vietnam and want to come back because there's a lot more to see or to just enjoy the likes of Saigon and, well, everywhere. In the next sentence they vow not to come back because of the miserable visa situation: dealing with a third party, waiting for email, waiting and waiting and waiting at SGN VoA window with no discernible queue or organization.

Many people cross the land borders too. I spent a lot of time on the Phnom Penh-Chau Doc boat and in An Giang province. Lots of foreigners find the boat service appealing and cheaper. But I always heard the complaining about dealing with Viet officials. There was always a long wait even though there were only 8-10 non-ASEAN people. Anyway, since I crossed on land a lot, I was informed by a Viet that if I drop 50,000 in the passport, things would move swiftly and without trouble. It was true. Those dong turned those frowns upside down. Every time.
Do they take $US ? We don't all have dong.
justincase
Tourist

Post by justincase »

Yeah I thought he should try Koh kong for his next article..
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

justincase wrote:Yeah I thought he should try Koh kong for his next article..
Laos is not bad either.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tbh i used the koh kong border, i found it a breeze tbh, although i have done cambodian border runs millions of times so know the crack, i didnt like the countless different journeys to get across though getting from koh kong and Trat then onto my destination, i much prefer the border of doom (PoiPet) i get through in about 20minutes even in high season either direction, its handy knowing the khmer people working there also, come in handy sometimes when its busy
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic