Alice's Pub Big Breakfast Review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Alice's Pub Big Breakfast Review

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Name: Alice's Pub
Address: 92 Street 144 (near the corner with 19).
Telephone: 017 229 084

Ok so I was craving another roast last Sunday but there was a slight hiccup in my plans, so I decided to get a late breakfast instead. I've known about this place for quite a while. I think it opened almost a year ago, but I'd never bothered dropping by. However, I'd been wanting to try out Alice's Pub for a while after having it recommended by a few people. Otherwise I highly doubt I would have thought of venturing inside for some food. From outside the place is kind of weird. It kind of looks like a hostess bar (especially at night), and I was never sure what to make of it during the day, but don't let that fool you: it's just a regular shophouse pub which attracts its own crowd of regulars.

I kept it simple and went for what had been recommended: the Big Breakfast for 5$. I was told the food takes ages to come out here, but that definitely wasn't the case when I was there. The grub came out piping hot within a few minutes.

As you can see from the picture, the Big Breakfast comes with a full pot of hot tea (standard Lipton lemon tea, but a full pot of it) and two slices of toast with butter. There are also two eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, fried mushrooms and tomatoes, some potatoes and two slices of blood pudding.

Now, for the taste. The potatoes were ok. Nothing special but not bad either. I love fried mushrooms and these were good. The picture doesn't really do them justice as there were some extra ones lying beneath the potatoes. I like mine a bit softer usually but they were still good. One thing I really liked were the eggs. I literally eat eggs every single day, and I'm pretty picky as to how I like them. I hate it when the yolk is “punched” then cooked hard (as most Cambodians cook them). But I also don't want the yolk too runny. Yes, I'm picky... Cavern always seem to deepfry their eggs in a huge skillet. Despite specifically asking for runny yolks several times, I always end up having eggs with fully cooked yolks sitting in a bed of oil. Not enticing... Anyways, these were cooked to perfection. It doesn't mean they'd consistently cook them how I like em', but I was happy to see they could fry eggs...

The black pudding was great. I'm not a black pudding expert, but it certainly hit the grease spot and was a nice addition. I think a lot of people will find it nice as relatively few places consistently carry black pudding. The tomatoes were fine as well and the bread was standard sliced bread, but I didn't expect anything else for the price. The sausages were good. Not huge, but quite filling. I thought they tasted better than breakfast sausages (of which I'm not a fan). I'm pretty sure they were standard pork sausages (not Cumberland). Either way they were nice. The bacon was equally good. It was the English style bacon (obviously), but it was nice and crisp around the corners. In my mind, bacon shouldn't be all soggy, so I was quite pleased with it as well.

Service was a bit spotty. Or maybe it was just unobtrusive... Hmmmm. Not sure if it's supposed to be one of those places where you place an order at the bar yourself, or if you just holler at staff for them to come over. Given the number of staff, I assumed it was the later, but they generally left me alone, even after I'd finished my breakfast and tea. Then again, I also hate it when I'm asked every two minutes if I want another beer. “No... My glass is still half full”. So let me change my opinion and say that the service was good. Yes, it was good.

Despite the plate not looking that big, the breakfast is quite filling. English breakfasts always leave me a bit queasy though, as they seemingly manage to condense one's required weekly fat intake into a single meal, but it was nice to eat a breakfast slowly and have a beer to wash it down (it was past twelve, don't judge me!). I certainly wouldn't call the food gourmet or anything, not would I write home about it, but for the price, it's a very decent gut-filling fryup. Staff are nice and I'll likely make another visit in the future.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Alice's Pub Big Breakfast Review

Post by StroppyChops »

Nice review. Which one's Alice?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Any other decent breakfast options on their menu other than the English breakfast? Can you substitute a mug of coffee for the pot of tea?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Yeah, tea is for poofters, here at Brokeback Mountain us men drink coffee!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

That's a damn good looking breakfast for $5!

Most of the places I go for a cheap breakfast have REALLY gone down in quality over the past year or so.

Will likely hit this place up this Saturday morning (aka 2PM).
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And thanks for such a great review! Very nicely formatted with excellent pictures to go along with them.

:good:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Soi Dog wrote:Any other decent breakfast options on their menu other than the English breakfast? Can you substitute a mug of coffee for the pot of tea?
Yeah, one could get a pot of coffee. They had a few options, but I didn't look at the menu to be honest. I think most of their other options looked a bit backpacker-ish (omlette+baguette, that kind o stuff). They have a website though and their menu lists a few interesting things. To be honest I'm not a huge English breakfast fan. I typically find them way too oily, but this one wasn't bad.

General Mackevili wrote:That's a damn good looking breakfast for $5!

Most of the places I go for a cheap breakfast have REALLY gone down in quality over the past year or so.

Will likely hit this place up this Saturday morning (aka 2PM).
Yeah I'd say for 5$ it definitely rivals Cavern's 5$ breakfast (which I've never had, I always go for the 7$ one. I think I tried the 10$ one once). The addition of blood pudding probably gives a few poms a boner. As I said, nothing spectacular but definitely good grub for a fiver. I still remember when one could get a decent western breakfast for under 4$. Seems those days are long gone!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

i went today at half eight and it was closed!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

What is the burnt offering nearest the camera on the plate?

Is it Khmer fish that they cook in oil for hours because they hate fish-ghosts?

Scary.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic