ThaiVisa.com website has been sold!

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ThaiVisa.com website has been sold!

Post by 4000islandsguy »

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

One of the buyer's businesses, Inspire Media, had been filing items for months on the various Thaivisa forums. They were truly shitty promotional items, barely understandable and with vital information such as dates missing. Anytime I saw a post by Inspire Thailand, I ignored it.

Example I just dredged up, posted Dec. 19, 2014: "The festival is filled with joy and happiness with air. The time has come for boys Have demonstrated the ability of cute. The contest Little Christmas"

Yeah, inspiring ain't it?
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

I hope they leave the forum alone, it is fine just as it is. If they do change it and fuck it up they would be giving somebody else a huge opportunity to step up. I remember that happening once before in some other SE Asian country.
lakesidejunkie
Expatriate

Post by lakesidejunkie »

i am a moody fucker
cambodia is a shithole .......

but i like it here.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'm absolutely fascinated by this, the money side of things. Websites really sell for this kind of money? How does that work? Where does the money come from?

I've been reading about advertising revenues and such, but for the life of me (being a tech tard) I really don't understand any of this, nor the reason it can generate so much income. Someone care to explain it to me?
-insert signature here
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

AE86 wrote:I'm absolutely fascinated by this, the money side of things. Websites really sell for this kind of money? How does that work? Where does the money come from?

I've been reading about advertising revenues and such, but for the life of me (being a tech tard) I really don't understand any of this, nor the reason it can generate so much income. Someone care to explain it to me?
Ad revenues are on a pay-per-click or pay-per-view basis normally. So Thaivisa which, for all its faults, generates millions of hits per day - can generate a fair amount of ad revenue. They can also sell ads directly on the site and these are sold at a bigger premium than PPC and PPV ads.

But internet businesses rarely go for 36x monthly earnings, 3x is more common with exceptional properties like Thaivisa (because of its huge user base) going for more like 12x.

Lots of discussion on this today but the touted "reasonable" figure for Thai Visa would be about $500,000 with a realistic earning potential of $40,000 a month or thereabouts.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

figure batted around the sale was 40 million Baht or $1.14 million
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

4000islandsguy wrote:I hope they leave the forum alone, it is fine just as it is. If they do change it and fuck it up they would be giving somebody else a huge opportunity to step up. I remember that happening once before in some other SE Asian country.
Agree with you, no need to change a winning formula just build on its success.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

TheGrinchSR wrote: Ad revenues are on a pay-per-click or pay-per-view basis normally. So Thaivisa which, for all its faults, generates millions of hits per day - can generate a fair amount of ad revenue. They can also sell ads directly on the site and these are sold at a bigger premium than PPC and PPV ads.

But internet businesses rarely go for 36x monthly earnings, 3x is more common with exceptional properties like Thaivisa (because of its huge user base) going for more like 12x.

Lots of discussion on this today but the touted "reasonable" figure for Thai Visa would be about $500,000 with a realistic earning potential of $40,000 a month or thereabouts.
Thank you for an explanation, so much I have to learn about this world. I still have a black and white screen phone...
-insert signature here
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

Does anybody here think a no holds barred version of TV would gain any traction? I know many people are sick of their moderation teams. It will largely depend upon how the new company does TV but I am somewhat convinced that if a new forum isn't needed because TV does have current alternatives that many users in Thailand would at least welcome a new second place.

Let's face it many guys in Isaan that support somebody that is a life support system for their favorite vagina could hear their own opinions twice. I would only have one rule and that would be that profanity isn't allowed in areas other than the rap war section.

It would have to be hosted somewhere there is impunity and by somebody that doesn't care about what the relevant authorities can or can't do with in Thailand's borders.

I nominate GM, Saudi is the ideal base for IT jobs now that their oil won't help them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic