Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to a facebook post posted by a local man who witnessed rip off toward foreigner and decided to take action. This posted has gone viral and has got a lot of shares.

The whole story

Today i went to buy coffee at a shop that i always go, however today it was closed, so i went to buy at a shop nearby. I ordered 3 plastic glasses of coffee. Then, there was a foreigner came to buy one coke and one sting. He asked seller, how much, in English. The seller replied 2 dollar. Then the foreigner handed her 5 dollar note to her helper. Then, the helper passed it to the seller and the seller told her helper to give the foreigner 3000 riel (0.75 dollar) changes. However, her helper didn’t follow what the seller said. The helper asked back, this is 5 dollar note, why give him only 3000 riel changes. The seller replied, it is not your business, just give the change to him. I (OP) asked the seller, why only 3000 riel changes. She didn’t reply me and she took 3000 riel and handed to the foreigner by herself. The foreigner was doubt and refused to take the changes. So I (op) asked her why she did that and finally she told her helper to give the foreigner 12000 riels (3 dollars) changes.

Note, this happened near Toul Tom Pong or Russian Market

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Post by frank lee bent »

good work op.
vietnam has a really bad reputation for this.
it stops people from visiting.
one of the great assets of Cambodia is the friendly people, and honesty seems to be a well developed trait among young people here who have an education.
it sets Cambodia apart from some other countries in the region- in a good way.
6EQUJ5
Expatriate

Post by 6EQUJ5 »

frank lee bent wrote:one of the great assets of Cambodia is the friendly people, and honesty seems to be a well developed trait among young people here who have an education.
Hahahaha! :ROFL2:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I went to the shop round the corner from my place about a week after I'd moved in. All I wanted was a couple of cans of Coke... the fat sweaty bastard at the till asked for $4. I was just in the middle of telling him where to shove the cokes when his wife arrived, apologized and asked for $1. Never been back since. They've lost out on around $1,500 of business because of it... (we go through a lot of coke with our friends Jack Daniels and Jim Beam here).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i would have refused to pay $2 for a sting and a coke! what a rip off!!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I remembered, i was doing the same thing at Pich Nel. I bought a piece of pineapple for $0.50, then when a barang went to buy it, the price went up to $1. I then talked to the seller and he got the same price as me. I actually hate it.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i would have refused to pay $2 for a sting and a coke! what a rip off!!
Yeah, today a streetside lady charged me 2500 riel each for two Cokes and I thought she was somewhat taking the piss. I won't be back.

Coke plus sting should be $1 I would think.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:i would have refused to pay $2 for a sting and a coke! what a rip off!!
Yeah, today a streetside lady charged me 2500 riel each for two Cokes and I thought she was somewhat taking the piss. I won't be back.

Coke plus sting should be $1 I would think.
considering 2 cans of beer from a street vendor would come to a dollar you would have though so lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
GonzoBobH
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GonzoBobH »

frank lee bent wrote:good work op.
one of the great assets of Cambodia is the friendly people, and honesty seems to be a well developed trait among young people here who have an education.
Seldom have I experienced anything close to this in Hanoi. Perhaps a HCMC thing?
It's all foma ~ kv
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

frank lee bent wrote:good work op.
Remind me again why Khmers hide behind gates and barbed wire. Or why so many people here have been robbed by freshy boys on bikes. Or why most of us who have had businesses have been endlessly ripped off by our friendly and educated staff (while the "honest" ones look the other way) . Or why "educsted" Khmer kids pray in pagodas that they can get away with cheating rather than studying. I forget. Petty theft is a big problem in HCM but honesty as a core Khmer trait? How deluded can you be. Face and personal/family self-interest ranks way way ahead of honesty, educated or not. .

Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic