Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Post by phuketrichard »

juansweetpotato wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:6 years of hearing that moronic bullshit over and over and over again. Bout time I snapped I think. :hattip:
It doesn't concern you that it's apparently way more important to you than it should be?
Listen pal, if getting ripped off doesn't concern you, you must be one in a few. Unfortunately they do seem to amalgamate in Cambodia. I often wonder if the average Khmer view barang like the prostitute here does. Good man = doesn't know anything. Bad man = knows the scams. Solution? Get rid of the clever ones. lol

I really don't appreciate consuming low grade shit and paying 2- 6 times more for it. I'm not going to explain it anymore. It's too obvious.
IN thailand they say Farnag roo mahk, mi dee

foreigner that knows to much is no good

if u all cant afford the "white man Tax" buy in the supermarket
let the locals make a small profit, u dont need ( we call it jewing) the locals down

TO make u all HAPPY
we pay 10 baht ($.28) for a small bottle of freshly squeezed cane juice poured into a plastic bag with ice

I usually got sugar cane around the kandal market an it was 1,000
BUT when i lived across the river in 2008/09 it was always 500 , same price as the ferry
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:Greed and stupidity = watching your former customers walking past with their purchases from your competitor.
I did that with the tuktuk drivers when we first arrived and were living at Murray's. The mafia out the front thought they'd sewn up a price between them and would stand their ground, so I'd walk through to the main street and grab a tuktuk, and would then ALWAYS ask the driver to "chuck a blockie" (Australian slang for being really cool) and drive past the mafia munts. They soon learned, and would aggressively then insist we ride with them at the real price, only to get really annoyed when we continued to pass them by. Eventually one of the young guys did the right thing and we used him as a regular driver - sadly I saw him take a punching from the 'men' for doing so.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sugarcane juice is 500r from the walking sellers at Orussey, but they're buying a cup at 750, splitting it into two bags and adding water - hard way to make 250r.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I've just been watching the top ten westerns of all time over the last week. Maybe that's why my sense of justice is so keen. Samoth's AV reminds me of The Ox-Bow Incident. There's a real sense of truth, honesty and justice in those old pioneering movies. Along with some pretty nasty characters.

@ John Bingham - here comes the Calvary. Root ta toot ta root ta toot ta toot!
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

juansweetpotato wrote:Ok less vitriol more philosophy. Jamie does seem to have fitted in well and after reading his posts he does seem to be in that different category that I often muse about. I wonder if it is those that seem powerful and strong are more attractive in the Khmer culture as in certain African cultures. I also wonder that if the Khmer women like you, then you are accepted especially if you are married or going out with one.
:hattip: :good:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

StroppyChops wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:6 years of hearing that moronic bullshit over and over and over again. Bout time I snapped I think. :hattip:
It doesn't concern you that it's apparently way more important to you than it should be?
Listen pal, if getting ripped off doesn't concern you, you must be one in a few. Unfortunately they do seem to amalgamate in Cambodia. I often wonder if the average Khmer view barang like the prostitute here does. Good man = doesn't know anything. Bad man = knows the scams. Solution? Get rid of the clever ones. lol

I really don't appreciate consuming low grade shit and paying 2- 6 times more for it. I'm not going to explain it anymore. It's too obvious.
Would you like to edit your earlier post a few more times now, "pal"?

Whether you're going to explain it more is moot - your concern that others pay too much for a coffee seems a little too passionate to me, but hey, each to their own. I pay the same price for a Khmer iced coffee as the Khmer do, and the 'average Khmer' I know treat me with the same respect as I treat them - including the one Khmer guy that posts here that I've met in person. Your experience may (and clearly does) vary.
A serious discussion about that variance is what interests me.
My 'having a go' at people is much more about making a firm point than not enjoying your / their posts BTW.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Bhodi
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Bhodi »

I learned my lesson along time ago regarding being overcharged and not getting my proper change now I tell the Business owners what bill I will be using and to bring me my change for it first before I pay for my items, paying barang taxes is one thing but getting shortchanged is another matter entirely so it doesn't bother me if I seem a bit rude to them it's really the only time I can think of where I am a bit stern all of this is done with a nice smile and friendly demeanor.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

StroppyChops wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:Greed and stupidity = watching your former customers walking past with their purchases from your competitor.
I did that with the tuktuk drivers when we first arrived and were living at Murray's. The mafia out the front thought they'd sewn up a price between them and would stand their ground, so I'd walk through to the main street and grab a tuktuk, and would then ALWAYS ask the driver to "chuck a blockie" (Australian slang for being really cool) and drive past the mafia munts. They soon learned, and would aggressively then insist we ride with them at the real price, only to get really annoyed when we continued to pass them by. Eventually one of the young guys did the right thing and we used him as a regular driver - sadly I saw him take a punching from the 'men' for doing so.
Bit late seeing this as I've not been on too much lately. Sad, but, I suppose, predictable outcome for here - might is right, except for when you're white. Something like that.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:Bit late seeing this as I've not been on too much lately. Sad, but, I suppose, predictable outcome for here - might is right, except for when you're white. Something like that.
...and many forget that you look less white in a darkened alley at midnight, and take a stupid risk that they'd never take in other countries.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic