Install rear disc brakes on a honda click

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
james ten
Expatriate

Install rear disc brakes on a honda click

Post by james ten »

Hi, to those that know about scooters/bikes, is it possible to convert rear brakes on a honda click to disc breaks? Anyone know a shop that will do it?
Thanks!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Install rear disc brakes on a honda click

Post by beaker »

It would be rather expensive and on the back you aren't really going to gain much additional stopping power. If your drum brake is operating properly it should be able to lock up the rear wheel and put it into a skid easily enough.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
james ten
Expatriate

Post by james ten »

Thanks for your response. I stopped by a random moto repair shop to have them change the rear brakes and tighten it up as it is not that great at the moment, but it still feels almost the same (maybe a little better). It will skid but I have to press it really hard, and I am finding I need to use my front brakes half the time to help me come to a stop.

I thought maybe because the front breaks were disc was the reason they are so good, I might try another mechanic and have them look at the rear ones again.
Thanks.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

You are suppose to use both brakes to stop the front brake has more stopping power than the rear. You need however to learn when and how much front brake to use. If you are traveling quickly and slam on the front brake it could send you right over the handle bars. You also have to be light on the front brake when in a turn especially on dirt, gravel or wet pavement as the front wheel will slid out from under you. That is why they are separate instead of like a car where both go on at once you need know how much pressure and when to apply it to the front. There should be plenty of instructional websites that can teach you the proper techniques.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

If you have been only or most of the time just using the rear brake then it may be all glazed up so would need more than adjusting the cable.
jimi hendrix
james ten
Expatriate

Post by james ten »

Right... OK thanks.
As you can tell, first time riding a scooter. I watched a youtube video where the guy goes through how to start the scooter, etc, and he mentioned something about not to worry using the front brakes, it's only for when you need to make sudden stop and then you use it as well. All other times, just use the rear brakes.

I've only been riding it a couple of days, so I don't think I've worn anything out too much.
I know how to use them in conjunction properly, been doing it for many years cycling on push bikes, which I should have applied here... I'm not sure why I threw all that sense out and listened to a youtube video instead... pretty stupid of me :shock:
james ten
Expatriate

Post by james ten »

I'm just going to tack on another question while I am at it-
Should the scooter noticeably slow down upon releasing the throttle, or is there something wrong with my scooter?
For example, if I am in a car, and I take my foot of the pedal, on a flat road, I still maintain most of my speed, but not noticeable enough to feel like the brakes are being applied.

On this scooter, when I release the throttle, I slow down noticeably, almost like the brakes are being applied when it isn't.

When going down a steep decline (like down the preah monivong bridge), I expected that even letting go of the throttle, I should be accelerating, no?
Last edited by james ten on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Yes, it should slow down just like you describe. That is another thing you should do in conjunction with braking using the engines compression to slow while or before braking if you have the distance to safely do so.
There isn't much to those little brakes not sure about your particular model but I wouldn't be surprised if someone only used the rear brake and was not decelerating with engine compression and riding the brake could produce considerable wear to the pads.
One of the reasons I ride a maxi scooter here is because of the brakes which are anti-lock discs front and back with combined braking meaning on my bike I can use the rear brake lever and it applies both rear and front brakes.
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have no experience with motorbikes, however in the ''old days '' it was well known that cars with bad brakes, eg morris minors, always had brake shoes relined with a '' woven '' lining which was softer and gave more grip. Only disadvantage was they did not last as long.
Maybe there are brake shoes for your moto that have a different type of softer composite material.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I am thinking the brake lining is worn down past it's service limit, but just a guess. A new rear drum isn't that expensive, but then again I am not sure if the useless Honda dealer network has those drums in stock or not.

As for the scooter slowing down, it's completely normal. Here's the reason why, hope I don't lose you here.

Automatic transmission vehicles use a torque converter to transfer power from the engine to the wheels, but the scooter uses a simple belt (with clutches). The torque converter (grossly oversimplifying) disconnects from the engine when the throttle is released, but the belt is just attached the engine and there is no disconnect (until near idle speeds). So when you release the throttle, now the back wheel is effectively running the engine (not the petrol) and you are going to feel that drag.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic