Cambodian University Student Arrested for Facebook Post

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian University Student Arrested for Facebook Post

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

An anti-government activist has been imprisoned over a social media post in which he called for people in Cambodia to join him in a “colour revolution”, though critics of the arrest say he enjoys no political influence.

Kong Raiya, 25, was captured on Thursday outside Phnom Penh’s Khemarak University, where he was about to sit his foundation year final exam, and taken to Phnom Penh Municipal Court for questioning over a statement he had published on August 7.

...continued...

http://phnompenhpost.com/national/stude ... revolution
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cambodian University Student Arrested for Facebook Post

Post by StroppyChops »

As good a way as any to avoid exams... I've worked through the odd exam-day bomb hoax in my teaching career.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmer Times/Taing Vida Friday, 22 July 2016
Facebook Sentence Upheld, No Bail for CNRP Man
A university student who was sentenced to 18 months in prison by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court over Facebook comments had his conviction upheld by the Appeal Court yesterday.

Khemerak University first-year student Kong Raiya was convicted on charges of incitement on March 15 and sentenced to 18 months in prison by Phnom Penh Municipal Court judge Heng Sok Na. Mr. Raiya was arrested after calling for a so-called color revolution on Facebook last August.

“Who dares to do color revolution with me? Some day in the future, I will do color revolution to change the regime from Khmer society, although I will be imprisoned or killed, I must do,” one post read.

Appeal Court presiding judge Sin Visal said this message as well as others insulted Cambodia’s king and government.

During his trial earlier this year, Mr. Raiya denied intending to incite chaos, saying he had not understood the exact meaning of his words when he used them. He apologized for doing so before asking the municipal court for leniency.

“This message didn’t cause instability in society, but it shows about human rights violations and my concern as a citizen. I thought the word ‘revolution’ was similar to the word ‘protest.’ Protests are allowed by law, and the ‘change’ does not mean the overthrow of the government,” Mr. Raiya said during yesterday’s hearing...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/27547/ ... -cnrp-man/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The appeal of Cambodian student, Kong Raiya, before the Supreme Court, was denied yesterday as the court upheld the ruling of two years prison for his Facebook post.
The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the conviction of a first-year political science student for inciting people to protest and join him in a color revolution against the government.

The Supreme Court also upheld his 18-month jail term over posts on his Facebook account in 2015.

Mr. Raiya was charged with incitement to commit a felony. He was convicted by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in March and sentenced to two years in jail, with six months suspended.
He took the case to the Appeal Court which upheld the municipal court ruling.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33782/ ... rm-upheld/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:The appeal of Cambodian student, Kong Raiya, before the Supreme Court, was denied yesterday as the court upheld the ruling of two years prison for his Facebook post.
The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the conviction of a first-year political science student for inciting people to protest and join him in a color revolution against the government.

The Supreme Court also upheld his 18-month jail term over posts on his Facebook account in 2015.

Mr. Raiya was charged with incitement to commit a felony. He was convicted by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in March and sentenced to two years in jail, with six months suspended.
He took the case to the Appeal Court which upheld the municipal court ruling.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33782/ ... rm-upheld/
so the lesson is....'just say no to facebook'.

sell now.

cheers

bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic