Genuine Khmer Dishes

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Genuine Khmer Dishes

Post by Samouth »

Let alone Amok and Lok Lak Sach Kor that you guys might probably see on the menu of every restaurant in Phnom Penh that you have been to. I am pretty sure that many of you guys have never tried all of these foods unless you are living in the rural areas of Cambodia or have got a khmer wife or you have tried any restaurants that locals normally go. Don't ask me about the names of all these foods and i have never eaten most of them. Little salary might has some clues about the name of them.

បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Genuine Khmer Dishes

Post by Mr Curious »

most of it looks boiled or deep fried to me. And why don't they know about seasonings beyond kampot pepper? All I can figure is they're expensive and the Khmer have developed a taste for the ingredients themselves. I've never seen a pepper in anything I ordered. I bring spices with me when I come. It would seem healthy tho. I did lose 20 lbs during a 2 month stay once. But it might have been the boringly bland everything started out as a soup thing in my area. Student ghetto in KC. I used to call the main lady there the "bone soup" lady. I suspect her family got the good meat and we all got the bits left tossed in a pot of water with some cauliflower and zucchini n such. Also it seems odd to me they use black eyed peas as a kind of garnish in desserts, but on one things to cook em up with some pork fat and throw em over rice. There are few more perfect foods than beans in my book. Next trip I'm gonna concentrate on my chili making skills.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Many of those dishes look familiar to me as my missus cooks a lot at home, plus we spend a lot of time at her family house and out in the provinces...I have never come across amok or lok-lak outside of tourist oriented restaurants, I feel that they are a poor representation of Khmer cuisine.

I regularly hear tourists and expats saying that Khmer cuisine is bland and boring, but I have found the exact opposite outside of the touristy restaurants, Khmer cuisine doesn't use much chilli, but it is always offered as a condiment so that you can spice it to your liking.

My gf regularly makes a soup similar to this, the green tomatoes are stuffed with seasoned minced pork, it's a very tasty dish and one of my favourites.

She also makes a pork-bone soup that I am a massive fan of, it is very similar to what we call a boil-up back in NZ which is in my top 3 favourite meals.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

@ PSD-Kiwi, as i mentioned above you would have tried all these kind of foods if you have a khmer wife or girlfriend who like cooking and not have been spoiled by you guys which always brought her to western restaurant. I think you should show her all of these pictures and let know chose her favorite one and cook for you. For some soups above, you might not be able to find the ingredients in Phnom Penh.

You are right that Amok and Lok Lak are not the best representation of Khmer cuisine. I have never eaten amok until i moved to Phnom Penh.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

ក្ដាមប្រៃ I like it the most. :))
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

សម្លម្ជូរដើមចេក ( banana tree) :thumb:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:Image
យេស​​ ឌីសវ័នអ៊ីសស៊ីក្រែប ឌឺវ័នយូហេបហ៊ាអ៊ីនភ្នំផេនអ៊ីសណតហ្វ្រេស។ ខាមធូម៉ាយហាវ ឌែរអាអឺឡតអបឌែន អែន រៀលលីហ្វ្រេស។

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
យេស​​ ឌីសវ័នអ៊ីសស៊ីក្រែប ឌឺវ័នយូហេបហ៊ាអ៊ីនភ្នំផេនអ៊ីសណតហ្វ្រេស។ ខាមធូម៉ាយហាវ ឌែរអាអឺឡតអបឌែន អែន រៀលលីហ្វ្រេស។
ក្រញាញ់ខួរ! Hehehehe.. Yes, next year I'll. Hope you will help me how to choose fresh crabs.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
ក្រញាញ់ខួរ! Hehehehe.. Yes, next year I'll. Hope you will help me how to choose fresh crabs.
hahaha i hope UT can read it too. No worry i will teach you. :)

wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

This stuff looks great and the vegetables don't look as overcooked as what I usually run into. I wish Khmer food used as many chili as in the photos.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic