Koh Rong Samloem Day Trip

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Koh Rong Samloem Day Trip

Post by rozzieoz »

I took a trip to Koh Rong Samloem yesterday and thought I would share some pics. I am quite pleased with them :)

Koh Rong Samloem, also spelt Sanloem and Saloem, is situated eighteen kilometres due west of Sihanoukville in the Gulf of Thailand and is reachable in about forty-five minutes by fast ferry or about two hours using one of the slower converted fishing boats, depending on the conditions.

I went with SUn Tours and paid the off-season rate of $20, which included a buffet lunch onboard, with about 7 dishes. Everyone in our party found something they loved and went back for seconds.

The day also included snorkelling, which I wouldn't recommend unless you are a strong swimmer. This was the only negative of the day.
They provided mask and snorkel, but no flippers. The staff did absolutely nothing to help the people who were obviously struggling in the water (what can they do when they can't swim??) and thank GOD there were some Aussies on the boat who took control of things and got everyone back onboard.

And then on to the island, where we went for a walk to a waterfall and had plenty of time for a swim, jumping off the boat (YES I went from the top!), having a few drinks at the bar etc. It was a stunning day, I would highly recommend the trip to anyone.

One thing that I REALLY loved was seeing a pristine beach- no rubbish in sight- WHAT A PLEASURE!!!!

Enjoy the pics!

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Koh Rong Samloem Day Trip

Post by rozzieoz »

I don't know why the one image is the wrong way, sorry!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Great post, Rozzie
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Hey Rozzie, did anyone do any fishing?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

they charged $20 as an off season rate? i know last season some of the tours bumped up their prices to $25 but can still get them down to $20, when i went a few years ago it was only $20 in peak season, i know some tours were doing boats for $15, you can get "backpacker" rates for the slow boat $1 one way $5 return, think them rates went up a bit during the peak of high season though

glad you enjoyed the trip though its one of the most beautiful beaches ive ever been to
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Saracen beach is very nice, but if they continue building bungalows at such a rate they seemed to be doing earlier this year, the entire shoreline will be lined soon with them, & probably without the necessary sewage facilities for such numbers I would imagine
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I never been there before. I wish I could go there soon.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I would visit sooner rather than later. The increasing building & development work & higher levels of visitors is not going to improve the islands beauty unfortunately.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

No fishing, no
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Thanks for sharing, rozzie.

@ admin: why are the pics so small? Is this a default setting? Or did rozz use hobbit function?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic