Would the poor support a revolution?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Would the poor support a revolution?

Post by frank lee bent »

privileged western kids may be revolting, but they do not revolt.

OP was talking about poor ppl.

occupy members are not- at least in world terms.
back OT, how could the poor support a revolution when they cannot support themselves?

how would they eat?

when it was tried in this country in the recent decades, the outcome was poor.

it nearly always is.
one set of psychopathic rulers is exchanged for another.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:We will need some of Sailormans guns first i think
I'll invite you on my Ream hill land. With your muscles a concrete bunker bearing cal12 machine gun mounts will be done in no time while I can provide the hardware 8)
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Cam Nivag wrote:
vladimir wrote: But it is an undeniable fact that most of humanity is WAY fed up with the way things are going
I don't think this is true at all. Most human beings are reasonably content and don't angrily obsess about everyone who has more money than they do.

This is easy to lose sight of though when the angry 1% are making 99% of the posts on a given internet forum.
:plus1: Only vlad seems obsessed by it
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

TheGrinchSR wrote:
vladimir wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:What would people take part in a revolution for? Swap capitalism for communism? It's been tried and didn't work very well... a revolution requires something to believe in. I'd bet on WW3 and soon rather than global revolution too...
The poor do not read history, and do not care about long-term results. The rich and powerful have taught them that, at least.
Sadly, Vlad throughout history the poor have only ever become involved in a revolution because some middle-class (or higher) toss pot encouraged them to. The middle-classes are the ones you need to convince to get your revolution going and they aren't convinced at the moment.
Historically this is true; revolutions need the support of middle-class to succeed. When I say succeeding, I mean really changing the status quo, and not changing one band of dictators for another.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
I'll invite you on my Ream hill land. With your muscles a concrete bunker bearing cal12 machine gun mounts will be done in no time while I can provide the hardware 8)
Sounds like a plan... you can call me "Jamie Rambo" Former Green Beret, theyve made a few movies based on my exploits :hattip: 8)
Last edited by Jamie_Lambo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:
Sounds like a plan... you can call me "John Lambo" Former Green Beret, theyve made a few movies based on my exploits :hattip: 8)
Oh you mean the "Ream revolution" ? Cool. Give me a call. I have some really old Anchor cans that will take out anyone drinking Angkor. =@
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:
Sounds like a plan... you can call me "Jamie Rambo" Former Green Beret, theyve made a few movies based on my exploits :hattip: 8)
Oh you mean the "Ream revolution" ? Cool. Give me a call. I have some really old Anchor cans that will take out anyone drinking Angkor. =@
haha yeah were fully stocked up on ABC-47's and some B-52's & M-150's =@
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Anchor Moy wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
vladimir wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:What would people take part in a revolution for? Swap capitalism for communism? It's been tried and didn't work very well... a revolution requires something to believe in. I'd bet on WW3 and soon rather than global revolution too...
The poor do not read history, and do not care about long-term results. The rich and powerful have taught them that, at least.
Sadly, Vlad throughout history the poor have only ever become involved in a revolution because some middle-class (or higher) toss pot encouraged them to. The middle-classes are the ones you need to convince to get your revolution going and they aren't convinced at the moment.
Historically this is true; revolutions need the support of middle-class to succeed. When I say succeeding, I mean really changing the status quo, and not changing one band of dictators for another.
The French revolution was about the middle class exchanging places with the aristocracy, all marxist and communist revolutions are about exchanging places between the middle class and the ruling class, on the long march Mao and his buddies endured the heavy path in palanquins, carried by the lesser mortals who collapsed and died in their thousands. Man of the people. The poor are oppressed unless they get money, ad then they become the aspiring middle classes, look at all footballers, John Terry's mum and sister, or aunt or some immediate family shit, got caught shoplifting after he was captain of England. His entire family are thie**** Gy*** bast**** and now he has been elevated to the elite he spends his time fucking his buddies' missues.

The poor want money, more than you do, and they want gold taps and fucking savage pet dogs, an Adidas tracksuit for our Russian friends, chunky gold watches and gold chains from Argos.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cam Nivag wrote:
vladimir wrote: But it is an undeniable fact that most of humanity is WAY fed up with the way things are going
I don't think this is true at all. Most human beings are reasonably content and don't angrily obsess about everyone who has more money than they do.

This is easy to lose sight of though when the angry 1% are making 99% of the posts on a given internet forum.
Perhaps you are right. Maybe I should take up a healthier obsession, perhaps trawling 3rd world newspapers for dead people, or trawling 3rd world countries for mad hookers because no female in her right mind will spend time with me even if I pay her.

What do you think? Healthier?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: :plus1: Only vlad seems obsessed by it
Yeah. That explains the tanks and the attack helicopters, fortified homes and police states, right? Oh, wait they're for flood relief. Clown.

I'm not trying to start a revolution. I just see the state of many countries, and the growing discontent, and I've read history. It doesn't matter what the outcome is, we all know most end up in a mess, but hungry people don't think that far.

I don't think Sailorman's anger at his government is unique, and I also don't think he's joking about being willing to change things if push comes to shove.

In fact, even privileged honkies don't think that far. Look at the mess America has created in meddling in so many countries.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic