Reliable Moto/Tuktuk Driver To/From Work?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
somajunkie
Tourist

Reliable Moto/Tuktuk Driver To/From Work?

Post by somajunkie »

Hi everyone. I'm new in town and start my new job Monday morning. I live in BKK1 but have to commute to Tuol Kork.

Anyone know if it's possible to have a moto or tuktuk driver pick me up from home and drop me at work in the morning and take me home at night (and not totally gouge me on the price)? I've been living in Jakarta and this was very common there.

If this is possible, does anyone have the number of a reliable driver that would like the job until I get my bearings and buy a motorbike?

Thanks a bunch!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Reliable Moto/Tuktuk Driver To/From Work?

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Reliable is hard to come by but if you agree a price; I've never known a tuk-tuk or moto not to honour it. Ask at work how much you should pay on a monthly deal and for pity's sake - don't pay in advance... or reliability will become a complete pipe dream.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

BKK 1 to Tuol Kork is about Riel 2000 - 3000 one-way I'd say, or about $ 20 to 30 a month. Reliable ???? In my opinion there is no such thing as a reliable motodop. A motodop to me is more likely a synonym for a complete idiot, criminal, spy and police informant, but as I've said that's just my personal impression. This guy will know where you work, how many hours you work and where you live.........he could estimate your income (and he will), and then you wonder why you get robbed, and, and, and.........
If you stay for a longer period, it's probably better to buy a 2nd hand motorbike.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:BKK 1 to Tuol Kork is about Riel 2000 - 3000 one-way I'd say
How many hours would you spend walking the streets trying to get a motodop to go for that price? Most are going to want at least 5000 - 6000 riel. Tuk tuk drivers will want at least $3. Those quotes would not be unreasonable given the distance and traffic.

What the OP should do is walk out of his/her house, flag down a motodop/tuk tuk driver to go to work, negotiate a price, and go. Then do the same thing when walking out of work.

There is no shortage of motodops and tuk tuk drivers in BKK or Tuol Kork.

There's no reason to get into a long term committed relationship with a motodop or tuk tuk driver, especially not on your first day, when you don't know the proper price of anything. What happens when, on your second day, you walk out of your house and he's not there? How long do you wait for him, while watching other drivers could could take you go by? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

If you enter into a "deal" with him, you will feel obligated to honor it, but he'll only feel obligated to honor it if something more important doesn't come up.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Cam Nivag wrote:
Advocatus Diaboli wrote:BKK 1 to Tuol Kork is about Riel 2000 - 3000 one-way I'd say
How many hours would you spend walking the streets trying to get a motodop to go for that price? .
It became that expensive ?????? How much would you estimate is it now ???
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Hey maybe I'm an overpaying cashed up, wannabe schmuck ruining it for everyone, but I'd offer at least $1 to a motodop and expect to pay at least 5000 riel. And for a tuk tuk I'd just say $3 and try to hold to that. Its not easy to chisel down the drivers who hang out in BKK1, they are used to driving foreigners and make demands accordingly.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Cam Nivag wrote: Its not easy to chisel down the drivers who hang out in BKK1, they are used to driving foreigners and make demands accordingly.
Yes, of course....that's absolutely correct.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cam Nivag wrote:Hey maybe I'm an overpaying cashed up, wannabe schmuck ruining it for everyone

:mrgreen:
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Cam Nivag wrote:
How many hours would you spend walking the streets trying to get a motodop to go for that price? Most are going to want at least 5000 - 6000 riel. Tuk tuk drivers will want at least $3. Those quotes would not be unreasonable given the distance and traffic.

There is no shortage of motodops and tuk tuk drivers in BKK1.
those prices seem pretty much spot on to me.

a moto will be quicker but less comfortable than a tuk tuk.

for another couple of bucks on top of the tuk price you can get an aircon taxi.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Years ago I had a moto guy take me from St 222 to near Long Beach Plaza Hotel in Toul Kork.

In those days it was only 2000 riel each way, more now.

Anyway, to avoid the hassles associated with him not showing up, I'd pay him daily and I'd wait 10 minutes, then find another guy. I made him aware of this condition at the beginning.There were always guys trying to get a regular customer/oust him, so I didn't have many problems.

You may also want to consider the fact that rainy season is not finished yet. You save a lot of money by using your own transport.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic