Cambodian Belief About Suicide by Hanging

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Cambodian Belief About Suicide by Hanging

Post by Samouth »

Personally i still believe that depression and stress is still a new topic for so many Cambodians, especially those who live in the province and remote areas. They really don't believe that depression and stress is an illness that need treatment. It is really hard to explain some of them that people killed themselves because they felt upset, stress and depressed, since some of them believed that there were some other things that urged the person to hang him or herself.

Most Cambodians believed that there was a bad spirit inside the person that hung him or herself. That spirit urged and drew the person to do it. Normally that bad spirit led the person to hang him or herself in the forest. Interestingly, Cambodian believed that before the spirit led the person to kill him or herself, the spirit would gave some hints or did something to let people around that person to notice something, such as the person might had been seen walking with no head. However, if no one didn't see all these hints, the person will end up hanging him or herself. If someone had seen the person walking with no head. She or he will go to tell the person's parents or relatives. Then the parents or relative will go to invite the priest, monks and police to do the ritual (ceremony) to help that person. One thing that they have to be careful is that they have to hide it from that person. No one will allow that tell that person that someone saw him or her walking without head. This will destroy the whole plan and ceremony to help that person.

How to help that person (ceremony) and why do we need police to involve in that ritual

First, parents go to talk to police (normally the one that used to involve in such ceremony), then that police will go with his pistol and arrest that person by accusing him or her of stealing someone properties, killing someone or raping someone. Then police will threaten that person and will tell that person that she or he will be executed by shooting. Note, from the arrest until the ceremony finish, that person will be blindfolded the entire time and no one will allow to talk to that person even parents and relatives. Therefore, that person will be crying the entire time and will be asking to meet his family or wife/ husband or children. It pains to see it but we have to do it to save his or her life.

Police will walk that person from his or her house to the forest where monk and priest are waiting there already. At that place, they will dig a tomb hole and have a scarecrow made up from banana tree. That scarecrow represents that person. When everything already prepare, police will order him to stand near the hole and shoot the gun next to his or her ear. Why shooting the gun near the person ear, because we do it to scare the bad spirit and hope that it will leave the person body. After that the priest and monk will cut the scarecrow into half and toss into the hole. Then the monk will give blessing to the person and bring him or her home.

While doing it, not many people especially children will be allowing to see it as we believe that when that bad spirit leave that person body it might goes into another person body.

I have seen it a few times when i was young and every time i came back home, my mom always blamed and ordered me to wash my face with water, flower or perfume to bring me luck. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Belief About Suicide by Hanging

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Thank you for sharing that - really interesting stuff. :-)
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Fascinating
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I heard it when I lived in the province with my aunt, but I never see this ceremony because I grew up inthe city which people don't believe much about it.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fascinating stuff. I wouldn't imagine being kidnapped and dragged to a shallow grave is a great cure for depression though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

great post Samouth, thanks for sharing brother
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Thanks everyone for reading it and all the given compliment. I now feel like it is a good idea to share more about Cambodia, not just people and places. I think i will try to write as much as i can about what i have been told and what i read in Khmer. I think next article will be about Chol M'lop.

@little salary, I always hesitated to tell people when they asked me where i am originally from, because everyone always expected that i am from the city of Sihanoukville. I originally from Sihanoukville province, but i grew up in a small village calls Smach Deng, Barang Doa Slae probably know it clearly since he used to live in Ream Beach, the Beach where i went to swim since i was young until now, i popped in sometime. Growing in the small village, i pretty much have seen and done a lot of things that children in the city probably don't know or have a clue about.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone for reading it and all the given compliment. I now feel like it is a good idea to share more about Cambodia, not just people and places. I think i will try to write as much as i can about what i have been told and what i read in Khmer. I think next article will be about Chol M'lop.

@little salary, I always hesitated to tell people when they asked me where i am originally from, because everyone always expected that i am from the city of Sihanoukville. I originally from Sihanoukville province, but i grew up in a small village calls Smach Deng, Barang Doa Slae probably know it clearly since he used to live in Ream Beach, the Beach where i went to swim since i was young until now, i popped in sometime. Growing in the small village, i pretty much have seen and done a lot of things that children in the city probably don't know or have a clue about.
Chol M'lop, is that the "into the darkness" thing where upon a girls first period she has to stay in the house for like 6-12months and learn how to become a good housewife being taught by the mother/aunts, and is only allowed to leave the home during the night time and has to do discreetly or something, cant remember everything but i did research it a little a couple of months ago, is it so she becomes more appealing as a wife to a future husband or something? its a bit of a crazy tradition
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone for reading it and all the given compliment. I now feel like it is a good idea to share more about Cambodia, not just people and places. I think i will try to write as much as i can about what i have been told and what i read in Khmer. I think next article will be about Chol M'lop.

Chol M'lop, is that the "into the darkness" thing where upon a girls first period she has to stay in the house for like 6-12months and learn how to become a good housewife being taught by the mother/aunts, and is only allowed to leave the home during the night time and has to do discreetly or something, cant remember everything but i did research it a little a couple of months ago, is it so she becomes more appealing as a wife to a future husband or something? its a bit of a crazy tradition
You are right Jamie. It seems like there are a lot of articles in English about this subject already. I think i will write about something else. Recently you don't see many people do it (Chol M'lop).

Here is the actual translation of that term http://dict.antkh.com/dictionaries/%E1% ... 9F%8B.aspx

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

You are right Jamie. It seems like there are a lot of articles in English about this subject already. I think i will write about something else. Recently you don't see many people do it (Chol M'lop).

Here is the actual translation of that term http://dict.antkh.com/dictionaries/%E1% ... 9F%8B.aspx
you should still do it, it will be interesting to hear your perspective on the subject coming from an actual cambodian also, i learnt about it not long after i was learning about the Chbab Srey
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic