Cambodian Belief About Suicide by Hanging

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Cambodian Belief About Suicide by Hanging

Post by Samouth »

John Bingham wrote:Sihanoukville is the city, "ville"means city or town. The province is Preah Sihanouk. Kampong Som is the old name that many still use, I usually do.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was thinking that you meant the ville was Khmer word. We actually have a word ville in Khmer language which means free space. Then I found out it is French word which mean city or town.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah i often call it Kampong Som, I find the locals understand Kampong Som straight away, closely followed by Sihanouk, when i call it sihanoukville, espeshially in PP the locals not always understand straight away what im saying
Yes, actually there are many people who still prefer calling it kompong som instead of Sihanoukville. The province was re-named after the name of the former king. Sihanoukville was a place where the king mostly spend time and chilled out. Down from ocheteal beach there is a place call Dom Nak sdach meaning a place where the king stay.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah i often call it Kampong Som, I find the locals understand Kampong Som straight away, closely followed by Sihanouk, when i call it sihanoukville, espeshially in PP the locals not always understand straight away what im saying
Yes, actually there are many people who still prefer calling it kompong som instead of Sihanoukville. The province was re-named after the name of the former king. Sihanoukville was a place where the king mostly spend time and chilled out. Down from ocheteal beach there is a place call Dom Nak sdach meaning a place where the king stay.
i think its also to do with kompong som being a lot easier to pronounce than sihanoukville, i do notice quite a few of my khmer friends struggle to say it,
i also like hearing tourists trying to pronounce it :popcorn:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks Samouth - very interesting.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone for reading it and all the given compliment. I now feel like it is a good idea to share more about Cambodia, not just people and places. I think i will try to write as much as i can about what i have been told and what i read in Khmer. I think next article will be about Chol M'lop.

@little salary, I always hesitated to tell people when they asked me where i am originally from, because everyone always expected that i am from the city of Sihanoukville. I originally from Sihanoukville province, but i grew up in a small village calls Smach Deng, Barang Doa Slae probably know it clearly since he used to live in Ream Beach, the Beach where i went to swim since i was young until now, i popped in sometime. Growing in the small village, i pretty much have seen and done a lot of things that children in the city probably don't know or have a clue about.
Sounds idyllic. Ream has the best beaches now. Is that the village one passes through before the toll booth?
Smach Deng is a small village near Sihanoukville Airport, in the direction from Sihanoukivlle city, you will pass Airport first then the village. It will take me only 1 or 2 minute to drive (motorbike) from my house to the airport.

There are a lot of beaches in Ream that are really clean and unspoiled such as Channe Sen Sok, Virak Brambei and Preak Chak.
I know preak chak very well as I planted 400 coconuts on the land I used to own just after the bridge.
However Sen Sok and Virak Bramei don't ring a bell even if I must have been and swam there. Could it be the beautifull long beach with a very small island at an arm's reach from the main land that locals also call channe koh sampouyt ?

There are about as much cumulative beaches length in ream as in SHV. Ream airport is well located, right in the middle.

On a side note, I went yesterday to see the coastal new road city hall is busy building that will eventually reach Ream. I have been waiting for this almost 15 years now :Yahoo!:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
i think its also to do with kompong som being a lot easier to pronounce than sihanoukville, i do notice quite a few of my khmer friends struggle to say it,
i also like hearing tourists trying to pronounce it :popcorn:
Really khmers have hard time saying Sihanoukville ? haha, i have never met anyone who have hard time saying it.

BTW, i am not sure how clear this information, i think i have been told long time ago and can't really remember it. So the word Kompong means port or seaport and som is the name of the tree. I think i will have to ask my grandparents about this one.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:Thanks Samouth - very interesting.
You are welcome, i am glad you like reading it. There will be more articles.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:Thanks everyone for reading it and all the given compliment. I now feel like it is a good idea to share more about Cambodia, not just people and places. I think i will try to write as much as i can about what i have been told and what i read in Khmer. I think next article will be about Chol M'lop.

@little salary, I always hesitated to tell people when they asked me where i am originally from, because everyone always expected that i am from the city of Sihanoukville. I originally from Sihanoukville province, but i grew up in a small village calls Smach Deng, Barang Doa Slae probably know it clearly since he used to live in Ream Beach, the Beach where i went to swim since i was young until now, i popped in sometime. Growing in the small village, i pretty much have seen and done a lot of things that children in the city probably don't know or have a clue about.
Sounds idyllic. Ream has the best beaches now. Is that the village one passes through before the toll booth?
Smach Deng is a small village near Sihanoukville Airport, in the direction from Sihanoukivlle city, you will pass Airport first then the village. It will take me only 1 or 2 minute to drive (motorbike) from my house to the airport.

There are a lot of beaches in Ream that are really clean and unspoiled such as Channe Sen Sok, Virak Brambei and Preak Chak.
I know preak chak very well as I planted 400 coconuts on the land I used to own just after the bridge.
However Sen Sok and Virak Bramei don't ring a bell even if I must have been and swam there. Could it be the beautifull long beach with a very small island at an arm's reach from the main land that locals also call channe koh sampouyt ?

There are about as much cumulative beaches length in ream as in SHV. Ream airport is well located, right in the middle.

On a side note, I went yesterday to see the coastal new road city hall is busy building that will eventually reach Ream. I have been waiting for this almost 15 years now :Yahoo!:
I have never been to Preak Chak for a long time. I am not sure if it is still beautiful. I think since your wife is from Ream Beach and you also have lived there, i am pretty sure you have been to Chhanne Sen Sok and Virak Brambei, but you can't just remember the name of those beaches. On the way to Preak Chak you will pass these two places first.

Virak Brambei is located in the navy base and Chhnne Sen Sok is close to PTT gasoline station.

Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

We are definitively derailing the thread big time...

Ok I know exactly what beaches you are talking about.
Sen Sok is in front of koh Sromaouyt (ant island) and is quite unique due to its strong slope. You just need to walk less than 5 meters into the sea to be submerged. Currents can also be very strong. I hate PTT being there and was pissed when their contract was renewed for 15 more years about 5 years ago. Move the fuckers to stung hao next to the other petrol depots where they belong :evil:

Virak. Brambei is much more spectacular being at the tip of Ream peninsula. I can go there as I hold a navy VIP sign on my car but access is otherwise forbidden. It could be a magnificent beach if not for the army warehouses etc..

I have an utopia for ream that would hugely benefit the province and country but like any utopia it can't happen.
I would love to see the military go elsewhere and the place being transform into a touristic harbor where cruise ships would dock and yachting marinas be set up. Cruise ships SHV stop is a surprising success (second biggest cruise ship in the world was here last week) but they have to dock in the commercial harbor and it is an ugly sight for the passengers.
Ream would be very close to the airport, golfs and mangrove scenery while enabling cafes and merchants galleries... Making it a major touristic attraction for SHV tourists too.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:We are definitively derailing the thread big time...

Ok I know exactly what beaches you are talking about.
Sen Sok is in front of koh Sromaouyt (ant island) and is quite unique due to its strong slope. You just need to walk less than 5 meters into the sea to be submerged. Currents can also be very strong. I hate PTT being there and was pissed when their contract was renewed for 15 more years about 5 years ago. Move the fuckers to stung hao next to the other petrol depots where they belong :evil:

Virak. Brambei is much more spectacular being at the tip of Ream peninsula. I can go there as I hold a navy VIP sign on my car but access is otherwise forbidden. It could be a magnificent beach if not for the army warehouses etc..

I have an utopia for ream that would hugely benefit the province and country but like any utopia it can't happen.
I would love to see the military go elsewhere and the place being transform into a touristic harbor where cruise ships would dock and yachting marinas be set up. Cruise ships SHV stop is a surprising success (second biggest cruise ship in the world was here last week) but they have to dock in the commercial harbor and it is an ugly sight for the passengers.
Ream would be very close to the airport, golfs and mangrove scenery while enabling cafes and merchants galleries... Making it a major touristic attraction for SHV tourists too.
haha, i always thought that you clearly knew that places as ream is not that big, plus your wife is from there. She must knows every places there even much better than me. I guess your wife is not from Sihnoukville nor was born there. As most of navies there are from other provinces.

I am not sure about Foreigners if they will be allowed to enter Virak Brambei, but local it is really easy. We are allowed to enter anytime we want to go. For Sen Sok beach, everyone can go.

I wonder if many Expats in Sihoukville have come or heard of these beaches.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic