Sexpat Stereotype takes toll on daughters and fathers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sexpat Stereotype takes toll on daughters and fathers

Post by prahkeitouj »

I think barang_ doa_ sale and her father should talk to each other and then tell her. Everyone, it is not our business. I know she wants her father's reputation. barang_ doa_ sale and everyone want to make sure if it's rumor or fact.

Btw I really thank to your father and you that tried to help Cambodia. If people really do good they mustn't care about anyone's thought. I don't know how long you stayed in Phnom Penh. And I don't know people you've met, but Phnom Penh is not like what you said. You just saw a part of it and judged. Didn't you think it's too short to judge it?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Apologies in advance for reviving an old thread to those that hate that kind of thing. This was below that new thread on male breastfeeding, so I just read the whole thing.

I think its relevant to point out that this kind of thing is not necessarily rare even for fathers like myself of blonde haired blue eyed daughters.

When my Daughter and I were in Daytona Beach at Bike Week, my daughter stayed very close to me, weirdo's abounded at every turn and it was a bit of a sight to behold. I thought it was cute she held my hand, and she was 16 if I remember correctly. One guy was talking to us, and clearly thought she was my GF, and she asked him, "how old do you think I am?" And when she said "Im 16!" he looked at me, smiled and said "Dude!" and offered a fist bump. She recoiled in horror when she realized what he was thinking and said, "OMG, that's my Dad!

Around the same time, we were on a cruise, with her sibs and I. As cruises do, they set people up for photos. We were being posed, when it became apparent these poses were not appropriate for father daughter sets. Again, she set the record straight right quick.

So anyhow, the whole father daughter thing, in the absence of the mother, is rife for being misunderstood and not just in Cambodia.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

No offense RickyBobby, but I don't entirely believe this story. I think you manufactured it to have a discussion, which is fine as this is a worthwhile topic.

I know you were blasted in the past for reviving old threads, but there is no need to concoct an absurd scenario in order to have the discussion.
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 am One guy was talking to us, and clearly thought she was my GF, and she asked him, "how old do you think I am?" And when she said "Im 16!" he looked at me, smiled and said "Dude!" and offered a fist bump. She recoiled in horror when she realized what he was thinking and said, "OMG, that's my Dad!

Let me get this straight.

A guy was talking to you two and you allowed the conversation to develop so far that your daughter started to feel uncomfortable and had to step in to correct this man? Where were you?

I think most fathers would have shut this line of conversation down before our daughters were even aware of what was going on.
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 amWe were being posed, when it became apparent these poses were not appropriate for father daughter sets.
Became apparent? At what point? After how many untoward positions?

Again, I think after the very first inappropriate pose suggestion, most parents would have put a stop to it and clarified the circumstances for the dough-headed photographer.

What were the poses? Like this?

The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

just A 16 year old girl at Bike Week asking men how old do you think I am . . . Nothing weird going on here at all !
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Brody wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:51 pm No offense RickyBobby, but I don't entirely believe this story. I think you manufactured it to have a discussion, which is fine as this is a worthwhile topic.

I know you were blasted in the past for reviving old threads, but there is no need to concoct an absurd scenario in order to have the discussion.
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 am One guy was talking to us, and clearly thought she was my GF, and she asked him, "how old do you think I am?" And when she said "Im 16!" he looked at me, smiled and said "Dude!" and offered a fist bump. She recoiled in horror when she realized what he was thinking and said, "OMG, that's my Dad!

Let me get this straight.

A guy was talking to you two and you allowed the conversation to develop so far that your daughter started to feel uncomfortable and had to step in to correct this man? Where were you?

I think most fathers would have shut this line of conversation down before our daughters were even aware of what was going on.
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 amWe were being posed, when it became apparent these poses were not appropriate for father daughter sets.
Became apparent? At what point? After how many untoward positions?

Again, I think after the very first inappropriate pose suggestion, most parents would have put a stop to it and clarified the circumstances for the dough-headed photographer.

What were the poses? Like this?

Brody, I don’t need your approval or validation and won’t put effort into trying to convince you. If you don’t believe me that’s up to you. Why you would want to think I need to make up a story to contribute to a discussion is beyond my comprehension but I’m not gonna lose sleep over it.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:09 pm just A 16 year old girl at Bike Week asking men how old do you think I am . . . Nothing weird going on here at all !
She clarified her age for some reason I can’t remember exactly and it was just a very short exchange. The point is he thought my young daughter was my Girlfriend which is the point of the link in the OP.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I believe you RickyBobby, I can t imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of making up your two incidences simply to reintroduce an old thread. I was a single dad for many years and have two daughters, one notably mixed race and 14 years apart. I have been given some odd looks as people tried to figure out the relationship we had. Once walking with my mixed race daughter through the streets of Hanoi an American gent offered his opinion that I was a pervert as he walked by us.

The prick didn t even say "No offense" before he made his baseless accusation, he had the balls to admit he was being offensive.
Last edited by Anthony's Weiner on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 pm I’m not gonna lose sleep over it.
Care to address the substance of my argument rather than my tongue-in-cheek suggestion that you fabricated it?

Per your anecdotes, with both the bike week sleazeball, and the idiotic photographer...you stood by and did nothing whilst your 16 year old daughter grew increasingly uncomfortable to the point where she saw no other avenue but to confront these grown men herself?!?

Then I guess you won't lose any sleep over the fact that I think you're kind of a shitty father.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Brody wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm
Care to address the substance of my argument rather than my tongue-in-cheek suggestion that you fabricated it?

Per your anecdotes, with both the bike week sleazeball, and the idiotic photographer...you stood by and did nothing whilst your 16 year old daughter grew increasingly uncomfortable to the point where she saw no other avenue but to confront these grown men herself?!?

Then I guess you won't lose any sleep over the fact that I think you're kind of a shitty father.
Brody both incidents were over 10 years ago and I didn’t think it necessary to write a novel about it in explicit detail. Both incidents were also just little short events that began and ended in less than a minute.

The dude thought she was my gf and we both became aware of that at the same moment.

The photographer was suggesting romantic poses for a couple, again we both realized it at the same time.

Do you have children? I have three, and I have three grandchildren too. I haven’t always been the best father but I’ve tried. It’s a pretty low blow to call me a shitty father with nothing to go on as you have no clue who I am, who my children are, or what my relationship is with them. Again I will say that I’m not gonna let it trouble me because you are not qualified to make that judgement.

Also you’ve missed my entire point. Not sure who pissed in your bor bor this morning but perhaps you should direct your malice towards them.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:41 pm
Brody wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Brody both incidents were over 10 years ago and I didn’t think it necessary to write a novel about it in explicit detail. Both incidents were also just little short events that began and ended in less than a minute.

The dude thought she was my gf and we both became aware of that at the same moment.

The photographer was suggesting romantic poses for a couple, again we both realized it at the same time.

There you go! Now you addressed my argument directly.

I am now somewhat satisfied with your attempt to address my points and now see no further need to parry with you and belabor the issues.

That's how a spirited and lively bout of badinage is supposed to be conducted.

Carry on! :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic