Japanese Retail Giant To Open Second AEON MALL in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Japanese Retail Giant To Open Second AEON MALL in Phnom

Post by phuketrichard »

went in there once back in Dec, looked in the supermarket, some other stores and the restaurants

made Thailand super cheap
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

phuketrichard wrote:went in there once back in Dec, looked in the supermarket, some other stores and the restaurants

made Thailand super cheap
Really Richard ? I didn't look at prices much at Aeon since I knew they would suck. You may be right, but I doubt it. Stuff in the malls in BKK is at least double what it is in the States or worse. Who the fuck in PP could afford prices higher than that ? Even MBK ain't cheap anymore. I was looking for work out wear there and all the prices were crazy high. Like 1200 for polyester t-shirts ! I bought a Henckel's chef knife as a gift for my friend's wife after bunking at their place for 4 nights. I had purchased the same a year previously in a department store for $90. I looked around and the cheapest available was 6000. Here's another example. The Croc's store across from Emporium wanted 4000B for a pair that I paid $25 for in the US at Macy's. Inside Emporium they wanted 5000 ! I bought another pair online for $20 and a friend muled them to me. Rents and labor are much higher in Thailand. No clue about duties, but few imported items are cheaper in Thailand. The problem is that you just can't get certain things here.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the stuff i looked at ( most of the items in the supermarket) were all cheaper here in Phuket, and i was comparing Aeon and here not the states.
even my gf said so.

I dont buy much stiff here but the prices i saw at the expensive stores in Aeon were more than i see them for here, I dont
get to Bangkok so cant compare

True for most items the states is cheaper ( prices on sporting goods stuff here is crazy, which makes them unreal in Cambodia compared to here
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

In the supermarket you may have a point, except alcohol. I love me some wine and the prices for 'farang juice' over there made living in Thailand a no-go for me.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wackyjacky wrote:In the supermarket you may have a point, except alcohol. I love me some wine and the prices for 'farang juice' over there made living in Thailand a no-go for me.
I dont drink so no big deal :beer3: :beer3:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

wackyjacky wrote: The Croc's store across from Emporium wanted 4000B for a pair that I paid $25 for in the US at Macy's. Inside Emporium they wanted 5000 ! I bought another pair online for $20
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^^^ Ha. True enough back in Barangland, but we ain't there. I'm almost never not in a beat up t-shirt either, but here I'm a 'hansum man'. Back home I doubt that I could get laid at a woman's prison with a fist full of pardons anymore anyway. I like Crocs. They're comfortable, drain well, and most importantly cover the toes when riding the bike. I like my toes and want to keep 'em around.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

vladimir wrote:LOL, blame Google translate, my Japanese is limited to two words: Asa Akira :lol:
Haha, I don't know why people think she's attractive...I think she has a really weird pointy face reminiscent of a witch or something.
-insert signature here
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The place fills up on weekends. Some buying happening, but not much. The only real visible winners in that place are Major Cineplex and perhaps a few food courts. I suspect the rest are hurting.

I suspect it's mostly a ploy to hike up the land prices in that particula area, which surprise surprise, is owned by some Oknhas. At the same time, it's a ploy to push development north of the city, near Camko and perhaps the very slow "HE City". Better to build malls outside of the city centers anyways, so I think its a good move.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AE86 wrote:
vladimir wrote:LOL, blame Google translate, my Japanese is limited to two words: Asa Akira :lol:
Haha, I don't know why people think she's attractive...I think she has a really weird pointy face reminiscent of a witch or something.
Ah well. horses for courses:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic