Some Hotels Charge $5/$10 for Food/Drinks Brought to Room?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Some Hotels Charge $5/$10 for Food/Drinks Brought to Room?

Post by General Mackevili »

Is this normal? I've never heard of it.

I was staying at Queen Wood Hotel last week and I noticed this sign in my room. I can understand not being able to lounge out in their lobby having a party or bringing a picnic to their restaurant, but surely you'd be allowed to eat and drink whatever you want in your room without having to pay extra.

Just to make sure I was reading it right, I asked them about it and they said it was the rules. The lady at the front desk was finally kind enough to say, "if it's just a little bit of food, don't worry, I not charge you."

How kind.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Some Hotels Charge $5/$10 for Food/Drinks Brought to Roo

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

WTF! Do they have their own bar and restaurant at the hotel, if they do then they're probably trying to discourage people bringing their own food and booze so that guests will spend money on the hotels rest/bar. Still, that's pretty fkin rude, I've never come across that sort of policy before.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Never heard such rubbish. You will have to slip your kegs under your T-shirt to get them through the lobby with no charge. :dragonchase:
(A keg loooks more natural than a case of beer IMHO).

Actually, i think I know the people who run that place. Are they still charging $2 for crap coffee ?
If it's the people I know, they are great when they know you, but otherwise as tight as...
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Establishments intentionally put surcharge on fat people, especially desert Ninjas.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
GIA
Tourist

Post by GIA »

It's utterly abnormal!!! Maybe only in Phnom Penh? Never encountered such
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Food can make the room smelly. As I know it's not only in Phnom Penh or Cambodia.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that this rule is meant to apply to outside food/drink consumed in the hotel's restaurants/common areas or something like that, and that the rule is just written in an unclear way. I can't imagine that they actually charge people for bringing food up to their rooms. I don't know though.

A couple of guests at that hotel have died this year, it really is ground zero for sex tourists. More than a third of the tripadvisor reviews of the hotel rate it "poor" or "terrible."
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

It's probably a way to prevent guests like GM turning their rooms into KTV halls :beer3:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

prahkeitouj wrote:Food can make the room smelly. As I know it's not only in Phnom Penh or Cambodia.
Nothing to do with the smell; there are signs all over Asia that prohibit taking Durian to the room and I have no problems with that.

I do have a problem with a hotel charging corkage for foods and drinks brought to the room and I would move out immediately.
Ed Hammer
Expatriate

Post by Ed Hammer »

flying chicken wrote:Establishments intentionally put surcharge on fat people, especially desert Ninjas.

I wondered why my hotel bill in PP was so high, the charge by circumferences .
General Mackevili: I just don't want you littering our forum with your drivel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic