Some Hotels Charge $5/$10 for Food/Drinks Brought to Room?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Some Hotels Charge $5/$10 for Food/Drinks Brought to Roo

Post by hanno »

wackyjacky wrote:^^^^ Why do ***** hotels put 5 or 6 restaurants into a property then, if it's just a convenience ? Resort hotels make good money on f & b, especially those with beach front. Plus a big trend is to remodel a frumpy hotel and install a famous chef downstairs to give the property some panache. I don't know what about the local market, but I do in the States, and it's at 30% there and the trend has been going up for a long time. For the lower end of the market, your statement is 100% correct. LINK: http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/Article/143 ... fitability
This is what I said: 30% F&B revenue. But don't forget that operating costs are much higher than in rooms and thus the margin is lower. Most hotels have failed miserably when installing a star Chef. I don't know about you but when I am on a holiday, the only meal I will have at the hotel is brekkie unless I am in a game lodge or something and the next restaurant is 200 Miles away.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Yeah true, I don't buy anything at a resort either. At a luxury joint I'll walk 2 km down the beach to avoid it. If I am at a 5*, I am there on points. Most guests have a lot more cake than me ad a lot less time. Many visitors are scared shitless to eat at local restaurants in the 2nd and 3rd world too. In the States, the luxury chef scheme usually works. Look at Vegas, the Kimpton Chain, or the rise of Joie De Vive Hospitality for example.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

dont forget insects, them pesky ants get everywhere! never really come across a charge before though, just some places just say dont bring food or dont leave food in the room, but its not very often as most places i stay either dont give a fuck or offer room service
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

wackyjacky wrote:^^^^^No need for US to be shy at LS. I could see why GM would want some anonymity when he's dragging his 'trollope des soir' through the bar...
Bingo.
phuketrichard wrote:its not going in that matters;
its the leaving in the morning
when that "beauty" you brought home was not.......LOL
Bingo.
phuketrichard wrote:as above PLUS there very few rooms at lonestar
not like a 300 room hotel :-)

Nothing funnier on the eyes than seeing some guy at breakfast with a girl dressed up for the bar the night before
Bingo.

I'm eating here at Lone Star right now, and the hell if I had wanted to have stumbled outta here with a random lady on my arm an hour ago, LoL.

Damn, this one already wants to come back at 3 o'clock. Walk-of-Shame-athon.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

rubberbaron wrote:Having been in the business for 30 years I have never come across such a thing either. But here is a little enlightenment for the uninitiated. Resort Hotels make more money on bar sales than on the rooms. The restaurant and bar mark-up should cover your monthly payroll. So good hotels hate nothing more than guests bringing in their own food and drink but if guests still do they won't say anything either. City hotels is a different matter. Our seven associated hotels in Phnom Penh,though, do a very good restaurant business and guests usually don't bring their food/drink. Most guests who spend $40 to $80 on a room have no problem eating at the hotel restaurant once or twice.
We have a page in our hotel information asking guests to refrain from bringing in food or drink pointing out that we do have a restaurant and room service available. This does not keep some guests from doing it anyway, especially the Russians who also usually stay longer. Sometimes guests even ask us if they can bring something in from outside, e. g. crabs, etc. as we don't serve them. A hotelier''s perspective is if you want to travel on the cheap go to budget hotels which often don't have a restaurant to begin with. The hotel in question probably is not in the 3-star category despite their say-so.
Good info, but I feel when I pay for a room, any room, I'm renting a home and can pretty much do what I please, as long as it's no bother to others, etc.

I often eat where I stay if the food is good. But if I want to order a pizza, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to.

All that said, I strongly feel hotels/guesthouses/landlords can have any rules they want, and if I'm informed of them upfront and don't like them, nobody is forcing me to stay there.

Of course places would prefer I spend all my money there, but I think that's a shitty rule to not allow outside food/drinks in my private room.

I remember getting huge discounts in Indonesia if we said we'd eat there. Our Chinese friends would often get charged double the Barang prices, as the guesthouses knew they'd pack 6 in a room, cook their own noodles in the room and even bring their own huge jug of drinking water, LoL.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

awww cute roses GM ;)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Jamie_Lambo wrote:awww cute roses GM ;)
Ha! Fuck off, I didn't send that crap! !

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ But, you did give her your number.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Username Taken wrote:^^ But, you did give her your number.
Meh, maybe she guessed it. Image

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Username Taken wrote:^^ But, you did give her your number.
Page one of "Rules for Whore-mongers" (I do not mean you, GM:-): Never, ever, under no circumstances give a lady of the night your phone number. NEVER!!!!!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic