Anyone Been Robbed or Burgled?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mr Londo
Tourist

Anyone Been Robbed or Burgled?

Post by Mr Londo »

I was wondering who may have had the unfortunate experience of being mugged,robbed or burgled and the situation you had to deal with.

My only experience was when living in Lombok having my house broken into twice, the second time me being in the house and grabbing an arm as it came in through the window. I fared better than a Swiss guy who had a safe built into the floor of his newly constructed home with only he and the builder of his house knowing it was there. The Swiss guy went on holidays for two weeks returning to find someone had broken into his house and chiseled the safe out of the floor, the builder was never heard of or seen again.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anyone Been Robbed or Burgled?

Post by prahkeitouj »

No and don't want too.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Hi Mr Londo,

I guessed the end of the safe story before I even read all the post. Sad but a bit predictable.

Many years ago I had to get a floor safe drilled out with electric jackhammers. It took one guy 4 hours to get it out because of all the steel in the concrete. However I'm sure the one here was a lot quicker...

As far as being robbed, been pick-pocketed here twice, once sober once slightly pissed. Had a burglary back home in Oz once, but so far avoided it here.

Anyway, nice to see you posting over here.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Not burgled yet (knock on wood). Got pick-pocketed once, around $40 gone, a Dutch ATM-card and both Dutch and Khmer driver's licenses. It happened in a very crowded place, I felt something on my right leg and was too late.....
Kept my stuff in lower pockets of my shorts, now I keep them in higher up pockets.

Welcome to CEO, mr. Londo.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Burgled once in Brisbane about 20 years ago. They were just kids and took my kids Sega games console and a couple of games. Cops caught them at the local train station about 1 hr later and we got everything back!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, thanks.
just recently.
now i have doors, dogs, sharp pointy fence and many locks.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Burgled once in my bar in 2011.

Partly my fault; I had five padlocks but they were the shite ones. Thieves had obviously been watching the place as they hit 30 minutes after closing on a Monday night around 1.45am. I had stopped at the Cavern for a bite on the way to home in chruoy changavar and just as I had got from there to home and smoked a spliff I got a call from my neighbours telling he to come quickly.

Got there to discover Sinan, pretty woman with a small cafe across the road had heard them busting my locks and screamed at them, causing them to flee, then she and Che Deth Navy's family blocked the entrance until we got back.

Very, very lucky. Had around a grand in cash, visa, passport, Xbox 360, LCD TV, two dirt-bikes, all my stock and some jewellery there; but because they were disturbed they just grabbed a $300 computer and fled, leaving flipflops behind, but taking the broken locks.

We almost caught them, in fact, through police/tuk-tuk grapevine but lost the trail near central market.

Spent $150 on high quality locks next day, never had a problem since.

Robbed here once, very skilfully, by a former crooked Naga croupier/ bar cashier named Nara. Skinny skanky bitch managed to take a silver band off my finger during a handshake so craftily it was an hour before I realised it was gone. Too late to accuse at that point.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

If you haven't been burgled and/or robbed yet, you haven't been here long enough.

Burgled at least twice, first time was the worst as at nighttime by a weaponized burgler that came up to my bedside table (never heard a thing but found weapon and evidence in the morning).
Robbed or pick pocketed : at least 4 times but none attempts were ever succesful.
Stolen because of my own stupidness : countless times
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Robbed here once, very skilfully, by a former crooked Naga croupier/ bar cashier named Nara. Skinny skanky bitch managed to take a silver band off my finger during a handshake so craftily it was an hour before I realised it was gone. Too late to accuse at that point.
Holy crap...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Only once was I robbed here. I lived near Wat Botum about 8 years ago, down a small lane way but in a nice enough place. I stayed up late and then neglected to close the balcony door. I thought we were safe enough, and it would take a spiderman to reach there. Unfortunately a spiderman climbed up. He managed to grab 2 phones (one expensive Motorola flip phone, they were popular then), a $400 camera, a couple of hundred dollars and various other stuff. What freaked me out about it was realizing how close they had been to where me and the misses where sleeping at the time. A friend had been stabbed to death when he disturbed a burglar about a year before. My house now is a lot safer, more razor wire, a big dog and good neighbors etc. Take care out there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic