American father filing citizenship for son

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American father filing citizenship for son

Post by prahkeitouj »

Is your son Cambodian or American ?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

I am an American citizen, and my son's mother is Khmer. He will be a Cambodian citizen being born here, but I plan on aapplying for American citizenship for him also.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Once he has aquired U.S. citizenship, you'd better bring him back to the U.S for at least a period of 5 years (physical presence), two after the age of fourteen otherwise it wouldn't be possible for him to transfer U.S. citizenship to his own children (if these children were born abroad, too).
Difficult ? Here an example: You are an American citizen, right? So let's say you were born in New Zealand to an American father, but you have never lived in the U.S.
Now you live in Cambodia and have a child........in this case you couldn't transfer your U.S. citizenship.

Further information here: http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/ ... broad.html
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

We paid 5 dollars at the sangkat for a Cambodian birth certificate (our daughter was born in Bangkok)
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

So if the kid is born in Cambodia, he can't apply U.S citizenship later?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

Just in case this helps anyone else, I figured I'd update my experience. The wife, myself, and the baby all went together to get the certificate. We both got the impression that the baby really didn't need to be there, as nobody even really glanced at him. We were about a week past the supposed thirty day window in which you are supposed to report it, but there was no mention of it. She just went to pick it up after three weeks and no phone call of it being ready. When she asked the price she said the officer joking replied "just give a lot", she said she gave him $12. 50 because he was real helpfull, and didn't try to extort an exorbitant amount. (Several Khmers have since insisted that it's absolutely free) but I was pretty happy with how it all turned out.
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

May have spoken too soon, just re-read the US embassy website that states they need both the original hospital birth cert, and the new Goverment one. The officer kept the hospital birth cert and said it's their standard procedure. Anyone been to the embassy with only the Government issued birth certificate? It's clearly stated they want to see both, wondering if the hospital would re -issue a lost one for a few bucks?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: American father filing citizenship for son

Post by General Mackevili »

Mr. Yan wrote:May have spoken too soon,

Thanks for the updates though! :good:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

Alright, last post on this topic. Went to the hospital and asked for another birth certificate, had to wait five minutes and it was issued free of charge. I guess everyone's experiences are different, but all said and done this cost me $12.50, a few hours of my time, and very little hassle.
steelyRon
Expatriate

Post by steelyRon »

Mr. Yan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:16 pm Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'm on the up and up, and am fully expecting this whole process to have a few hiccups along the way. I plan to file the report of birth abroad and the application for citizenship as well. (Eventually want to make the move to the U.S., but that's another thread entirely.)

Good to know that the hospital birth cert. isn't "official". This might be a stupid question, but is there an "official" price for the commune chief to change the hospital copy into an official one? I don't imagine there are price lists anywhere, anybody at least know of a going rate as a frame of reference? We're in Shv, so we plan on everything happening here, as logistically planning a birth in Phnom Penh might be not be so feasible.
Can any one explain what this requirement means when applying for a CRBA, and why is this required?

3. Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent(s)' physical presence or residence in the United States prior to the birth of the
child. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to affidavits, school, employment, tax, bank, and medical records,
utility bills, rent receipts, or other official public documents. Evidence of time spent abroad working for the U.S.
government, U.S. Armed Forces or qualifying international organization, or as a dependent child of a person working
abroad for such entities prior to the birth of the child is also acceptable in some cases.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic