American father filing citizenship for son

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Re: American father filing citizenship for son

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Make sure that you don't get married/child birth somewhere in the pampas. Makes it incredible difficult for authorities to authenticate docs if they have any doubts (and more expensive for you). Make everything happen in PP and make sure that everything is REALLY REGISTERED with the Cambodians.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:Also be aware that "hospital certificates of birth" are not accepted by Americans. You need an official one.
Yea, as AD stated, the hospitals certificate of birth is not an official document and won't be recognised by anyone, apart from the Commune Chief who will use it as a part of the verification process to issue the official Cambodian Birth Certificate.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
PBR STREETGANG wrote:You should submit an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to the U.S. Embassy once the child is born.
Exactly, and to get this in Cambodia is not only a pain in the ass, it's also very expensive (you got to pay all the Cambodian authorities)

Good luck - you need it.
Wow you guys get a diploma for a birth certificate ? :lol:
PBR STREETGANG
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by PBR STREETGANG »

There are many questions for the OP that will be asked throughout the process-assuming he needs to apply only for a CRBA-What is the status of his citizenship in the U.S.? Is he married? The marriage status is key, especially if planning a return to the States. If he can satisfy the U.S. Government that the child is his, it's just a matter of time, paperwork, and money until a passport is issued. However, if there is doubt or suspicion on behalf of the authorities...unmarried, bogus docs, will definitely be frowned upon.

Basically, if the OP is on the up and up, he'll just have to endure what any of us do.

Keep a daily log, take pictures and/or video, be present at the birth, etc.

It sounds as though he has a son on the way, so congratulations.
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'm on the up and up, and am fully expecting this whole process to have a few hiccups along the way. I plan to file the report of birth abroad and the application for citizenship as well. (Eventually want to make the move to the U.S., but that's another thread entirely.)

Good to know that the hospital birth cert. isn't "official". This might be a stupid question, but is there an "official" price for the commune chief to change the hospital copy into an official one? I don't imagine there are price lists anywhere, anybody at least know of a going rate as a frame of reference? We're in Shv, so we plan on everything happening here, as logistically planning a birth in Phnom Penh might be not be so feasible.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Mr. Yan wrote:This might be a stupid question, but is there an "official" price for the commune chief to change the hospital copy into an official one? I don't imagine there are price lists anywhere, anybody at least know of a going rate as a frame of reference?
There are usually official price lists posted at the Sangkat offices, but the price you actually pay will vary depending on how quickly you want the documents processed and you/your partner's negotiating skills, no matter what, you will still pay the inflated "Barang' price.

The father and mother must both be present, as well as the baby, so that the commune chief can make sure the baby looks like the parents (I kid you not!), must take both sets of parents ID (passport for foreigner), and Khmer parents Family Book...If this is her first child, then she can get a new family book started, foreign father can apparently be added to this family book, my friend managed to have this done but he said it cost him significantly extra.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Regarding birth certificate: Country side it's about $ 10 (with waiting period), Phnom Penh it's about $ 20 (also with waiting period). This would be the prices for a Cambodian. Foreigner in PP without waiting period about $ 50. You will not need a family book for US citizenship purposes, the official birth certificat will do it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PBR STREETGANG wrote:You should submit an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to the U.S. Embassy once the child is born. You can also apply for a U.S. passport to establish citizenship for the child. You will need your passport(s), birth certificate identifying both parents, a notarized translation of that birth certificate from an approved translation service, and...cash.

Search the Internet for CRBA and get the specifics.

Best of luck!

Almost
the Consular Report of Birth Abroad grants citizenship to the us child than with the report u apply for the US passport

Start now;

Make sure ur passport shows u were in Cambodia when she got pregnant :-)

document ur living arrangement with photos of the two of u as she gets bigger, visit to the dr together, the birth etc
than make sure ur name is on the BC
get it translated/notarized\
both parents need show citizenship via passports or id cards
go to embassy wit signed papers from 2 people stating they have known u xx months an its a real relationship ( if ur nor married) I wasn't when my daughter got her CRBA)

IF an ONLY if they feel its a shame they can request the dna , get that thru the states as much cheaper thna over here.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

Good advice guys. Happy to have a ballpark price for the official cert. Will keep on documenting everything with pics too. Phuket, I will definitely bring a couple of signed papers from friends and family. At least I won't have to argue being here for the conception, that would probably be pretty difficult one to win. Haha.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I have done it twice. The process is fairly simple and painless. Unless they doubt you...........there is no need for a DNA test. Make sure you do it straight away and get his passport and Social Security card.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic