Do you own a house back home?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!

Do you own a house back home?

YES
42%
NO
58%

Total votes: 12
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Do you own a house back home?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Samouth wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:Apart from PP, house prices in Cambodia are very cheap (compared to western countries.) :good:
That should include, the city of Sihanoukville, Kampongcham, Kep, Kampot, Siem Reap and Battambang. House prices in those provinces are incredibly expensive too.
You can't imagine how expensive it is to buy a home in most western countries these days, unless you buy something in an area where nobody wants to buy because it is too poor, too far from "civilization" or just not a nice place. (ie, dirty, polluted, full of crime etc.)
In comparison, cambodia house prices are relatively cheap by western standards. Even in beautiful cities like Kompong Som... :stir:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:Apart from PP, house prices in Cambodia are very cheap (compared to western countries.) :good:
That should include, the city of Sihanoukville, Kampongcham, Kep, Kampot, Siem Reap and Battambang. House prices in those provinces are incredibly expensive too.
You can't imagine how expensive it is to buy a home in most western countries these days, unless you buy something in an area where nobody wants to buy because it is too poor, too far from "civilization" or just not a nice place. (ie, dirty, polluted, full of crime etc.)
In comparison, cambodia house prices are relatively cheap by western standards. Even in beautiful cities like Kompong Som... :stir:
You are right. My uncle once lived in California then moved to Tenseness where he finally owned a house. He always said that his house is way cheaper than most houses in Cambodia. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Location is the key word. All over the US you can buy cheap houses in bad areas, but nobody wants them because they are not good places to live.
Samouth wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
Samouth wrote:
You are right. My uncle once lived in California then moved to Tenseness where he finally owned a house. He always said that his house is way cheaper than most houses in Cambodia. :)
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I don't have any house. I live with my parents. I want a house in the city but I prefer to live in countryside.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

prahkeitouj wrote:I don't have any house. I live with my parents. I want a house in the city but I prefer to live in countryside.
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I first moved abroad when I was 17, and after moving back and forth a few times I left for good when I was 21. I've noticed that kids these days seem to stay in their parents house till they are much older. Perhaps it's because accommodation is less affordable nowadays. I do find it strange how Cambodian kids are so dependant on their parents though. I would have been very embarrassed if I had to live with my parents when I was that old.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

John Bingham wrote:
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I first moved abroad when I was 17, and after moving back and forth a few times I left for good when I was 21. I've noticed that kids these days seem to stay in their parents house till they are much older. Perhaps it's because accommodation is less affordable nowadays. I do find it strange how Cambodian kids are so dependant on their parents though. I would have been very embarrassed if I had to live with my parents when I was that old.
I'm old enough to move and very embarrassed!!!!! But it's unusual for daughters to move if she doesn't get married yet. Moreover my parents live in the city and I work here too. I don't like the way Asians parents keep their children live with them too. But it's the norm. so I don't have any deal with it. I just think living with them I can save some money till I get married or have my own one. Or I should go abroad few years until my parents stop keeping me to live with them.
Ed Hammer
Expatriate

Post by Ed Hammer »

John Bingham wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I don't have any house. I live with my parents. I want a house in the city but I prefer to live in countryside.
I was told from a young age at 16 you leave the house.....okay I made some mistakes but ,this made me what I am. It wasn't like get out fend for your self,they helped me find a flat and bought me pots and pans etc.....looking back at I have to say thanks Dad. :hattip:
General Mackevili: I just don't want you littering our forum with your drivel.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote:
I also left home at 17, but I think the Cambodian norm is to stay at home unless you move away to work or marry. More and more western kids do this too because accomodation is so expensive. (And probably because Mum does the washing, cooking, housework etc.)
I have a friend who started buying her house at age 23 - 20 years later it belongs to her. Amazing what you can do when you really want to leave home.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

You guys luckier than me. I was born in a Country which full of complicated norms and culture.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I also started to live far away from my family when i was 17 years old too, that was because my school was far from my house. If not there was no reason or excuse for me to move from my family. As little salary and Anchor Moy mentioned, it is not really common for Cambodian to move away from their family, unless they have to study or work away from their house.

I am living by myself in Phnom Penh, because my family is not here, if they were living here, sure i would be still living with them. Little salary case is different as her family is living, so she has to live with her family for the reason that she is a girl and not yet married.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic