Farewell to an Era: Phnom Penh International Airport Set to Shut Down to Make Way for New Airport Next Year

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Farewell to an Era: Phnom Penh International Airport Set to Shut Down to Make Way for New Airport Next Year

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): The Phnom Penh International Airport, also known as Pochentong Airport, is set to close its doors once the new Phnom Penh International Airport officially opens next year. In a recent interview with a local television station, HE Sin Chanserivutha, spokesman for the Cambodian Civil Aviation, confirmed that the capital city will not maintain two airports simultaneously. The fate of Pochentong Airport remains uncertain, with decisions regarding its future to be made at a later date.

Pochentong Airport, Cambodia's first airport, was constructed in 1957 and commenced operations on April 1, 1959, under the management and investment of a French company. The airport underwent a name change on January 20, 2003, becoming known as Phnom Penh International Airport.

The new Phnom Penh International Airport, which will be named Takhmao Techo International Airport, is a joint venture between the Overseas Cambodian Investment Company (OCIC) and the Cambodian government. With an investment of approximately $1.5 billion, the project is now more than 65 percent complete.

As the opening of Takhmao Techo International Airport approaches, the aviation landscape in Cambodia's capital is poised for a significant transformation. The new state-of-the-art facility is expected to enhance the country's aviation capabilities and accommodate the growing demand for air travel in the region. However, the impending closure of Pochentong Airport marks the end of an era for the historic gateway that has served Phnom Penh for over six decades.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Farewell to an Era: Phnom Penh International Airport Set to Shut Down to Make Way for New Airport Next Year

Post by Tootsfriend »

So glad that is was not operating today . This morning I waited one and a half hours at the bus stop for a bus to Takhmau. Ended up catching a Tuk-tuk.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Farewell to an Era: Phnom Penh International Airport Set to Shut Down to Make Way for New Airport Next Year

Post by Alex »

The current one will be missed, at least by me. It's definitely one of VERY few airports that I like, and that's because you get through so fast without fail.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:31 am So glad that is was not operating today . This morning I waited one and a half hours at the bus stop for a bus to Takhmau. Ended up catching a Tuk-tuk.
The city bus operates at a very limited capacity (if at all) during big public holidays because the buses are used for people to go to the countryside.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:31 am So glad that is was not operating today . This morning I waited one and a half hours at the bus stop for a bus to Takhmau. Ended up catching a Tuk-tuk.
The city bus operates at a very limited capacity (if at all) during big public holidays because the buses are used for people to go to the countryside.
Great, tell that to the international travellers wanting to catch their plane after the new terminal opens.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm
Great, tell that to the international travellers wanting to catch their plane after the new terminal opens.
Yeah, there's a suggested income requirement to be considered an international traveler, if your relying on a developing nations VERY EARLY developing busline

Maybe find a new place to see?
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I already miss the previous iteration when it had 12 check in desks and a cute water feature by the entrance.

I wonder if they'll do anything interesting with it. It could become a bus station, park and shopping mall with minimal renovation or will they fence it off for 10 years and eventually build a bunch of flats that will be bought by people with no interest in living there?
Scarier than malaria.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

ali baba wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:01 pm I already miss the previous iteration when it had 12 check in desks and a cute water feature by the entrance.

I wonder if they'll do anything interesting with it. It could become a bus station, park and shopping mall with minimal renovation or will they fence it off for 10 years and eventually build a bunch of flats that will be bought by people with no interest in living there?
My guess is they lease or hand over the land to OCIC, and they build apartment buildings. Constructing a park or something similar would make too much sense. In Siem Reap, they leased the old airport land to the developer who built the new airport, and now they are planning to construct an 'entertainment hub for tourists'—who knows what that means. :popcorn:
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Golf facility perhaps ... ?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:18 pm
ali baba wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:01 pm I already miss the previous iteration when it had 12 check in desks and a cute water feature by the entrance.

My guess is they lease or hand over the land to OCIC, and they build apartment buildings. Constructing a park or something similar would make too much sense. In Siem Reap, they leased the old airport land to the developer who built the new airport, and now they are planning to construct an 'entertainment hub for tourists'—who knows what that means. :popcorn:

I think it was already reported that the old airport will be still used for international cargo flights and local flights within Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic