What is the benefit of living in Cambodia, instead of Thailand or Vietnam?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

What is the benefit of living in Cambodia, instead of Thailand or Vietnam?

Post by La Quenta »

I would love to know because I am struggling to see it.

Against Thailand and Vietnam there is:

- poorer healthcare system
- higher corruption
- out of control development that would make even Vietnam blush
- less diversity in things to do and see
- worse driving
- the expats (this is not ALL, but many) are more difficult people
- local people are nice, but are very disengaged and aloof in comparison
- the job opportunities are smaller

Am I missing something?
This is not meant to offend, I have visited many times and I really like aspects of the country.
But compared to a life in Vietnam or Thailand it just can't compare on multiple levels.

Happy for people to prove me wrong.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What is the benefit of living in Cambodia, instead of Thailand or Vietnam?

Post by Alex »

The "easy visa" is certainly an important factor.

In Vietnam, unless you work there or marry a Vietnamese, it's tourist visas and visa runs.

In Thailand, unless you work here or marry a Thai or are 50 years old, it's tourist visas and visa runs. And Thai immigration won't tolerate that for as long as Vietnamese immigration.

Cambodia? Pay and get your next 1 year extension.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Cambodia beats Vietnam for eating out. I don't mean Viet & Khmer food but other options.
Phnom Penh beats Saigon in terms of quality, choices & prices....probably service too.
May PP continue to be a great destination for scoffing my face.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's a much more chilled out place than the neighbours. I never once even considered living in Thailand or Vietnam. They are fine countries that are great to visit but I would hate to live in either.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

It's a good question, one that I sometimes ask myself.

I've lived in all three of these countries plus Laos.

Thailand started off well, living in Bangkok was heaven every night and hell every day of the week. I felt really alive there. Then, the 1997 Tom Yang Kung crisis occurred and the long downward slide began.

Tried HCMC post-Y2K, and the longest I lasted there was a year and a third. It was like purgatory. Spent time in PP, which I didn't like, and Vientiane, which I did, but it's not great long term.

Back to VN, this time to Vung Tau aka Geezerville, which I mostly liked but again, you can only spend so many years in a place like that. Wasn't knocked out by much else in VN although it is easy to find good Japanese food.

So, I guess for me I have a 'been-there-done-that' feeling for T-land and VN, and living in small-town Cambodia is at least a somewhat new experience. Plus, as mentioned it's easy, and it feels like it's a good time to be here (positive vibes).
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Having the benefit of not being directly snitched to Interpol or else when arriving there in a hurry (for whatever dark reasons) ?

I put a question mark because although i gathered this from what i heard, i'm not too sure about it's effectiveness ^^
Art
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Art »

Alex wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm The "easy visa" is certainly an important factor.

In Vietnam, unless you work there or marry a Vietnamese, it's tourist visas and visa runs.

In Thailand, unless you work here or marry a Thai or are 50 years old, it's tourist visas and visa runs. And Thai immigration won't tolerate that for as long as Vietnamese immigration.

The Thai visa for 50+ comes with some money requirements: USD 21,787.41 into a Thai bank %) two months before getting a visa.
I spent most of my time in Cambodia simply because of their visa process. The older I get the less hassle I want. %)
Travelbassman
Tourist
Canada

Post by Travelbassman »

I've visited Seam Reap prior to COVID and plan to visit all the SEA countries upon retirement in October 2025.

For me the "pro" of retiring in Phnom Phen would be the option to play gigs as a musician without a work permit (or so I'm told).

The "con" would be the substandard health care system. I've worked in Canadian hospitals for 30+ years and a good health care system is increasing important as you age. Many of Thailand's hospitals are US accredited and their medical school system was created by the US over the last 50+ years.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Art wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 am
Alex wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm The "easy visa" is certainly an important factor.

The Thai visa for 50+ comes with some money requirements: USD 21,787.41 into a Thai bank %) two months before getting a visa.
I spent most of my time in Cambodia simply because of their visa process. The older I get the less hassle I want. %)
OR use an agent!!! No Money in Bank, Pattaya prices are 1 year extension, $345/year
so.....

I've lived in Cambodia twice, ( 8 months in PP back in 2008/09, 16 months 2021/22 in Kep) and i saw zero benefit to living in Cambodia, hence why i am back in Thailand.

Personally, i find Phuket fits better for me than the places i lived in Cambodia, ( PP & Kep)
even after 35 years
I dont drink or smoke cigs ( the only things cheaper in Cambodia than here)

everyone is different
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I have lived/worked in all three ... I can be happy in all, because they are quite similar if you think about it.

My big con for Vietnam is the crime and scams.

Thailand my big con is the visa and political instability ... and recently the guns. Thailand seems to have a lot more gun violence than it did, say 10 years ago.

Cambodia my con is still TBD ... only been here a year ... so far, it's been really good. There have been some minor speed bumps, sure, but found a great wife, great golf training facility, some great restaurants, got a great dad-pad, great live music scene, made a few expat and locals friends.

By this time next year, I should be in Okinawa, building my retirement compound. At least that's the plan.

Good luck in your move to SEA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic