Westerners spend twice as much time on beaches than at Angkor

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Westerners spend twice as much time on beaches than at Angkor

Post by Alex »

That baffles me. I don't see any reason why a Western tourist would want to come to Cambodia specifically for the beaches. There are more and better beaches in other countries, both near and far.

Is it that they come for Angkor Wat, then find that they don't really need as much time for exploring it as they had anticipated, and head to the beaches, where they then end up spending more time? That's certainly something that could have happened to me.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Alex wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:10 am That baffles me. I don't see any reason why a Western tourist would want to come to Cambodia specifically for the beaches. There are more and better beaches in other countries, both near and far.

Is it that they come for Angkor Wat, then find that they don't really need as much time for exploring it as they had anticipated, and head to the beaches, where they then end up spending more time? That's certainly something that could have happened to me.
A lifetime ago, when I was a tourist here for the first time, I spent the same amount of time at the temples as the beaches (a week each) & it was too much fucking time at the temples. A day,maybe two, is enough temples for me in a year or five unless there's hidden treasure to be found
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i first visited Cambodia didn't visit the temples or the beach, later trip in 2006 PP and temples<
didn't visit a beach, ( SHV) till i moved there in 2008

real numbers
Cambodia attracted some 5.43 million international tourists in 2023, a sharp increase of 139.5 percent from 2.27 million in 2022, a Ministry of Tourism report showed on Friday.

Thailand topped the chart among foreign arrivals to the Kingdom with 1.82 million, followed by Vietnam (1.01 million), China (547,789), Laos (372,285) and the United States (184,780), read the report.

Over 1.86 million total foreign tourist arrivals were made via the three international airports, while the rest entered Cambodia on border gates and waterways, the report added.
https://tourismcambodia.org/official-ac ... ts-in-2023

Doubt any Thai's visited the beach
Doubt any Vietnamese visited the beach
Chinese might have gone to SHV, but not for the beach

Americans went everywhere LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
KunKhmerSR
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by KunKhmerSR »

Yes I keep saying to anyone that'll listen that the biggest thing currently slowing the growth of tourism in Cambodia is the lack of beach destinations. I was down in Sihanoukville two weeks ago and from what I've seen there is still plenty of space and possibilities to westernize some parts along the beach especially now that the Chinese have massively reduced their investments in the area. Or make a totally new destination somewhere along the coast.

The problem with the Angkor Wat complex is that for Cambodians it is essentially the center of their world. Historical, Cultural, and especially Spiritual. A lot of them simply don't understand that for westerns it's a beautiful pile of rocks that makes for a great background on their Instagram pictures. Which is why Siem reap is struggling so much to get back on it's feet. Tourist numbers where already down pre-covid due to the hefty increase in ticket prices and now with the new airport adding a significant extra cost many people will just opt to skip it especially when you factor in that there isn't much else to do in Siem reap/Cambodia (we're a tourist town and dont even have a proper nightlife lol) and that our neighbors don't charge for visas.

And as long as the people in charge stay ignorant to these issues our Tourism sector will never catch up to our neighbors'....
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

KunKhmerSR wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:36 pm Yes I keep saying to anyone that'll listen that the biggest thing currently slowing the growth of tourism in Cambodia is the lack of beach destinations. I was down in Sihanoukville two weeks ago and from what I've seen there is still plenty of space and possibilities to westernize some parts along the beach especially now that the Chinese have massively reduced their investments in the area. Or make a totally new destination somewhere along the coast.

The problem with the Angkor Wat complex is that for Cambodians it is essentially the center of their world. Historical, Cultural, and especially Spiritual. A lot of them simply don't understand that for westerns it's a beautiful pile of rocks that makes for a great background on their Instagram pictures. Which is why Siem reap is struggling so much to get back on it's feet. Tourist numbers where already down pre-covid due to the hefty increase in ticket prices and now with the new airport adding a significant extra cost many people will just opt to skip it especially when you factor in that there isn't much else to do in Siem reap/Cambodia (we're a tourist town and dont even have a proper nightlife lol) and that our neighbors don't charge for visas.

And as long as the people in charge stay ignorant to these issues our Tourism sector will never catch up to our neighbors'....

Where is the sense of adventure for tourists if every destination was like a trip to London. Some / many tourists want to travel to places that have not caught up to their neighbours . Take a look back 10 or 20 years ago, or even more, at the popular tourist destinations , and they were mostly in undeveloped countries and the tourist did not care if there were any hi-rise concrete buildings as is in Sihanoukville .
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

When i came first time here i did go to visit Angkor Wat, it was 2014. Since then i have been in SHV probably 6 times, indeed. I feel no need to visit Angkor Wat again, but a nice beach-town attracts me always. And i dont care about highrise concrete buildings, either about writing in Chinese. A beach-town is always nice to get out of PP city (with or without some (130/136°) girl. Will go sure again this year, altough i wanted to visit for many years Vung Tau, if i do the numbers probably its cheaper to fly or drive to VT for a week then doing SHV. Cancun, Benidorm, Cartagena, Pattaya are all full with hirise, no ??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Khunkhmer SR wrote: A lot of them simply don't understand that for westerns it's a beautiful pile of rocks that makes for a great background on their Instagram pictures.
I think it's you that doesn't understand. Most westerners who visit Angkor Wat have a greater appreciation of art & culture than that. The first time my son was at Angkor he said "It's just a pile of old rocks." However he was only about three years old at the time. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:23 pm
Khunkhmer SR wrote: A lot of them simply don't understand that for westerns it's a beautiful pile of rocks that makes for a great background on their Instagram pictures.
I think it's you that doesn't understand. Most westerners who visit Angkor Wat have a greater appreciation of art & culture than that. The first time my son was at Angkor he said "It's just a pile of old rocks." However he was only about three years old at the time. 8)
I’d agree with that. Every time I’m in SR now and have time free I’ll spend a morning/afternoon at the temples. So many really beautiful areas outside the big 3 or 4. Now that I get the free pass it’s a no brainer for me - At $40 a pop I wouldn’t do it so much, but when it’s free I’m all over it. I’ll either run there early in the morning or borrow a bicycle and sweat profusely all morning on the bike.
I enjoy it more when my family aren’t with me, even though they are Khmer I seem to appreciate it more.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Tourism in Cambodia, and other countries in the region, boomed because they were cheap, adventurous places to go, where people could get away with partying in ways that they couldn’t at home.
It’s not that cheap anymore, it’s much less exotic than it used to be, and the party has died down substantially.

Nobody needs to fly all the way to Cambodia to go to a beach, and stay at a resort that costs nearly as much as one in Spain, Mexico, or the Caribbean would. People who just want sun and sand can find it closer to home.

There’s no Ankor Wat anywhere else, but for most people, seeing it once is enough, and for many other people, who just want a relaxing vacation, it’s not something the have to see at all.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sure, just go to Malaga if you want sun and sand. You do you.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic