Is it feasible to take advantage of cheaper Orthodontics while I'm there teaching?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BlueJay
Tourist
Canada

Is it feasible to take advantage of cheaper Orthodontics while I'm there teaching?

Post by BlueJay »

Good day folks,
I plan to come to Phnom Penh in 2025 to spread my linguistic expertise in the domain of English, and am hoping to take advantages of the more reasonable costs of services there, specifically in dental work. I'm almost in my late 20's and require two wisdom teeth extracted, and straightening of the teeth (braces I guess you could say), in hopes that it will cost me around $3500 USD or less.

I am mainly curious if anyone can think of issues that should impede or cause me to rethink this plan relating to:

- Difficulty acquiring braces due to being a foreigner (language barrier perhaps creating issues)
- Payments/plans
- Some kind of interference with my teaching
- Being confined to Phnom Penh because of frequent braces adjustments needed (not sure if you can go do this at any ortho dentist)
- Cautionary quality of orthodontic work there (?)
- Would I be better off to get them done in an adjacent country (like in Bangkok) and do periodic excursions there for my adjustments?

Or anything else you may think of...I value the opinions of expats since you guys likely have experience with the dental work in Cambodia. I got a cleaning and filling when I travelled to Bangkok and was super happy with the cost and service so this makes sense if I'm going to be living outside of the West for some time. All that said, if any of you have anecdotal experience or thoughts that may relate to this please chime in! THANKS
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Is it feasible to take advantage of cheaper Orthodontics while I'm there teaching?

Post by Username Taken »

The quality of dental work in Cambodia is second to none. And, very affordable.
I had about 2000USD of work done about 8 years ago. The same work done in Australia would have cost around 30,000AUD.

You can search this forum for Dentists to get the names of several recommended dental clinics.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is it feasible to take advantage of cheaper Orthodontics while I'm there teaching?

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

You are better off traveling to Thailand for dental work. The dental work here is cheap, and you get what you pay for.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I've had great services at Roomchang dental on Street 184 in Phnom Penh. Nowhere near the cheapest in Cambodia but still a fraction of the cost back in the West. If anyone in Cambodia is doing braces, it would be them.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Cooldude wrote:I've had great services at Roomchang dental on Street 184 in Phnom Penh. Nowhere near the cheapest in Cambodia but still a fraction of the cost back in the West. If anyone in Cambodia is doing braces, it would be them.
Do your feel they would offer quality service for dental Implants?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Cooldude wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:04 am I've had great services at Roomchang dental on Street 184 in Phnom Penh. Nowhere near the cheapest in Cambodia but still a fraction of the cost back in the West. If anyone in Cambodia is doing braces, it would be them.
I prefer Roomchang to the local dental practice back in the UK
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:23 am You are better off traveling to Thailand for dental work. The dental work here is cheap, and you get what you pay for.
Sure, why not fly to Cedars Sinai while you're at it?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Do your feel they would offer quality service for dental Implants?
Yes.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I used Roomchang dental back in 2008 for a lower front bridge<
still fine,,,,
had a Korean dentist
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

BlueJay wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:35 pm Good day folks,
I plan to come to Phnom Penh in 2025 to spread my linguistic expertise in the domain of English, and am hoping to take advantages of the more reasonable costs of services there, specifically in dental work. I'm almost in my late 20's and require two wisdom teeth extracted, and straightening of the teeth (braces I guess you could say), in hopes that it will cost me around $3500 USD or less.

I am mainly curious if anyone can think of issues that should impede or cause me to rethink this plan relating to:

- Difficulty acquiring braces due to being a foreigner (language barrier perhaps creating issues)
- Payments/plans
- Some kind of interference with my teaching
- Being confined to Phnom Penh because of frequent braces adjustments needed (not sure if you can go do this at any ortho dentist)
- Cautionary quality of orthodontic work there (?)
- Would I be better off to get them done in an adjacent country (like in Bangkok) and do periodic excursions there for my adjustments?

Or anything else you may think of...I value the opinions of expats since you guys likely have experience with the dental work in Cambodia. I got a cleaning and filling when I travelled to Bangkok and was super happy with the cost and service so this makes sense if I'm going to be living outside of the West for some time. All that said, if any of you have anecdotal experience or thoughts that may relate to this please chime in! THANKS
Expensive dentist clinics here with amazing facilities and extraordinarily pretty staff and super wealthy clients may not provide the best service and certainly don't provide the best value for money. I'm specifically referring to Malis and Roomchang here

Similarly; a perfectly ordinary little clinic may provide better dental care than any dental clinic on the NHS in the UK - OR - be a horror-show with some evil prick trying to damage your teeth with a dental pick in order to extract max value from you

I've experienced all three here and I have a nice and homely clinic I visit in Phnom Penh when I need dental work nowadays who charges so little it's almost free. She's pretty busy so no more sharing her clinic or name on forums or Facebook for me

That said, you don't need to stay in PP to have braces adjusted - it's a once a month thing iirc - and there are good dentists in every province now
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic