Moving from Thailand to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Moving from Thailand to Cambodia

Post by Randolphgb »

I've lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years but recently I've become so tired of their pretentious culture and the swathes of know-it-all expats and posers.

Has anyone ever been in this position and decided to move to Cambodia? How did it go?

I've visited Phnom Penh regularly since probably 2018 and occasionally Siem Reap. I much prefer the people and the general feeling of the country. And have more interest in the Khmer history than anything from Siam.

My business is online based so moving country would not be much of an issue, with the right paperwork.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving from Thailand to Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I lived in 🇹🇭 thailand for 10 years also , I moved here 13 years ago and regret it now , but still
because of their pretentious culture and the swathes of know-it-all expats and posers it was a good choice at the time
and now since there are many things better here than there i can accept it and they accept me .
Not the same as there with all of the hoops to go thru , Plus using american 🇺🇸 money helps among other things
I can use visa credit card 💳 many places not having to go thru the ATM and exchange rates .
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good luck>>>
tried it for 17 months ( till nov 2022)
glad to be back in Phuket

"......the swathes of know-it-all expats and posers." i avoid an always have, these types :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I still love living in Thailand after almost 18 years, but wouldn't have any trouble moving to Cambodia if I had to.

Pretentious culture, that's a good one. I thought the same when I saw the first ATM on temple grounds, one week in or something.

Expats are best avoided with few exceptions, here as well as there.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

I moved to Siem Reap from Bangkok in January. Everyones circumstances are different, but for me its been a plus, major ones being the air is better, immigration system is easier, its overall cheaper, easier to get around and I get a free Temple Pass.

The food is worse in Siem Reap. There is no Thermae or Nana (good for budget though). There are less tourists.

On the other hand I wouldnt move from Thailand to PP
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Randolphgb »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm I moved to Siem Reap from Bangkok in January. Everyones circumstances are different, but for me its been a plus, major ones being the air is better, immigration system is easier, its overall cheaper, easier to get around and I get a free Temple Pass.

The food is worse in Siem Reap. There is no Thermae or Nana (good for budget though). There are less tourists.

On the other hand I wouldnt move from Thailand to PP
Is Siem Reap busier than before? I was concerned the new air port and all the tourism promotion would make it too crowded.
Art
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Art »

Randolphgb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 pm I've lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years but recently I've become so tired of their pretentious culture and the swathes of know-it-all expats and posers.

Has anyone ever been in this position and decided to move to Cambodia? How did it go?

I've visited Phnom Penh regularly since probably 2018 and occasionally Siem Reap. I much prefer the people and the general feeling of the country. And have more interest in the Khmer history than anything from Siam.

My business is online based so moving country would not be much of an issue, with the right paperwork.
I'm moving back to Phnom Penh after an eight-year absence. It sounds like the visa situation is changing which would be normal but if anyone can inform me about the yearly visa extinction and what is required, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, in advance.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Art wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am
Randolphgb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 pm I've lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years but recently I've become so tired of their pretentious culture and the swathes of know-it-all expats and posers.

I'm moving back to Phnom Penh after an eight-year absence. It sounds like the visa situation is changing which would be normal but if anyone can inform me about the yearly visa extinction and what is required, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, in advance.
I moved here from Vietnam in Feb 2023 ... made rookie error coming in on tourist visa (30 days) ... then had to leave and return with normal visa (another 30 days) ... then got it converted to 1 year retirement visa ($350) via agency. I think it is $185 if you DIY. But for sure my visa experiences have been superior in Cambodia to all other countries I have lived/worked. Good luck with the move.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Art wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am

Thanks, in advance.
on arrival pay $35 an get the Business 30 day visa
over 55??
convert to 1 year extension for $285-290 via any travel agent, no other paperwork required other than reporting ur stay on the FPCS app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... v.kh&pli=1
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Art wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am It sounds like the visa situation is changing which would be normal but if anyone can inform me about the yearly visa extinction and what is required, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, in advance.
Here is a basic summary for general Foreigners wishing to stay long term, work, retire, study, etc...

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa. $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month. (Note: this Visa is often incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa). There are no supporting documentation requirements for the majority of Nationalities, no passport picture is required. Ensure that you have the Visa fee in crisp, new, clean USD bills, preferably exact change.

With effect 12th Jan 2023, the E-type (Ordinary) Visa can also be applied for online in advance by all Nationalities on the official www.evisa.gov.kh website. Note that certain Nationalities have different supporting documentation requirements.

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country
- EP (Proposal - seeking employment/business opportunities) 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, can convert to EB EOS with the necessary supporting documentation.

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time for EOS applications, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic