Boarding requirements flight BKK-PNH 16-03-24

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Boarding requirements flight BKK-PNH 16-03-24

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:21 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:49 pm
cabron wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm
johnny lightning wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:23 am Nobody carries cash anymore. Perhaps a sweeping statement that's just a tad hyperbolic? Just a bit? Let us know how your VOA goes without it.
Traveling without cash obviously your not a savvy traveler.
I wouldn't leave the house, much less the country without cash+
atm & CC
Sure, I often go to small shops and stalls, good luck getting them to take anything except cash. 8)
I have yet to find a shop or stall in Siem Reap without their ABA QR. I actually went two weeks without ever having a riel in my pocket. It was like being back in the USA
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sure, but I don't live in a tourist area.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:13 am
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:31 am
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:14 pmThats the biggest crock of shit Ive seen on any message board in 20 years.

How do you figure? Authorities have been cracking down on vice tourism and trying to encourage a higher class element since at least the end of COVID, that is why it is theorised there was originally a 4k deposit in the first place (though they later lowered it to 2k before eliminating it outright to encourage post-COVID growth).

Afterall, Cambodia can't ever compete with Thailand on vice and debauchery tourism in the first place (I think more tourists went to Pattaya alone than the entirety of Cambodia in 2023), so this country tries to find its niche with older, more family-oriented travellers or those who like the relatively unspoiled rainforest environment.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501294324/ ... formation/

So to reiterate: Yes, such tourists are not only uncatered to, but no longer welcome. The days of Heart of Darkness, KPS beer guzzling by the beach, and Happy Herb Pizzas is long over.
You have no idea of what you are talking about. Thats as kind as I can be when confronted with folks who expose blatant stupidity in a forum where folks are supposed to have a basic idea of the subject matter..

Happy PIzza is still open in Siem Reap by the way.
Heart of Darkness is still open too; My point wasn't to say that those establishments were "closed" or that such vice was extirpated (as that would be blatant autism to assume such the context as speaking literally when one can do a quick google search), but my point was that Cambodia has little public tolerance for such things in a way they once did in the past, nor are authorities seemingly proud of it the way Thailand's government is.

Back then, Happy Pizza was openly advertised and promoted as a destination; Now, it's obtained almost mythical status, with some people even wondering if it still exists, Whereas once you even had tourists come here to shoot AK47s at animals and openly participate in child sex tourism; now, even something as relatively mundane as riding elephants at Angkor is no longer allowed.

In that sense, those such days are long over, as the Royal Government does its best to shed such a repugnant image remnant of Cambodia's post-war days of desperation, and much like the hippies in January of 1970 after the Altamount Free Concert, some people haven't gotten the memo yet.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

If you have to explain the point you were trying to make,, it's usually not correct anyway
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:06 am If you have to explain the point you were trying to make,, it's usually not correct anyway
That's a very indirect way of admitting you were wrong in your assumptions, but I'll take it anyway. I forgive you (also, my apologies for forgetting that some people only have an attention span to read text the length of a notecard before losing interest).
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

my apologies for forgetting that some people only have an attention span to read text the length of a notecard before losing interes
Some? Looking around I would say most people. Trained by Facebook, TikTok and all that other low time span content junk. Reading a book? No way, waiting for the movie or at least for the audio book, that will get listened to in the background, while checking the latest news on social media
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:57 am
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:06 am If you have to explain the point you were trying to make,, it's usually not correct anyway
That's a very indirect way of admitting you were wrong in your assumptions, but I'll take it anyway. I forgive you (also, my apologies for forgetting that some people only have an attention span to read text the length of a notecard before losing interest).
well here since your attention span is so short, and clearly, your educational level so deficient, I'll rephrase it. Your your post was stupid and erroneous and your attempts to explain it away are equally dumb.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:14 pmThats the biggest crock of shit Ive seen on any message board in 20 years.

How do you figure? Authorities have been cracking down on vice tourism and trying to encourage a higher class element since at least the end of COVID, that is why it is theorised there was originally a 4k deposit in the first place (though they later lowered it to 2k before eliminating it outright to encourage post-COVID growth).

Afterall, Cambodia can't ever compete with Thailand on vice and debauchery tourism in the first place (I think more tourists went to Pattaya alone than the entirety of Cambodia in 2023), so this country tries to find its niche with older, more family-oriented travellers or those who like the relatively unspoiled rainforest environment.

So to reiterate: Yes, such tourists are not only uncatered to, but no longer welcome. The days of Heart of Darkness, KPS beer guzzling by the beach, and Happy Herb Pizzas is long over.
Just scratch the surface a little bit and vice entertainment is readily available for locals and tourists. It's big business in Cambodia. Even the smallest town has a KTV or beer garden that doubles as a brothel.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:28 pm
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:13 am

You have no idea of what you are talking about. Thats as kind as I can be when confronted with folks who expose blatant stupidity in a forum where folks are supposed to have a basic idea of the subject matter..

Happy PIzza is still open in Siem Reap by the way.
Heart of Darkness is still open too; My point wasn't to say that those establishments were "closed" or that such vice was extirpated (as that would be blatant autism to assume such the context as speaking literally when one can do a quick google search), but my point was that Cambodia has little public tolerance for such things in a way they once did in the past, nor are authorities seemingly proud of it the way Thailand's government is.

Back then, Happy Pizza was openly advertised and promoted as a destination; Now, it's obtained almost mythical status, with some people even wondering if it still exists, Whereas once you even had tourists come here to shoot AK47s at animals and openly participate in child sex tourism; now, even something as relatively mundane as riding elephants at Angkor is no longer allowed.

In that sense, those such days are long over, as the Royal Government does its best to shed such a repugnant image remnant of Cambodia's post-war days of desperation, and much like the hippies in January of 1970 after the Altamount Free Concert, some people haven't gotten the memo yet.
Cambodia deserves a better Brand Manager.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic