Blood Tests

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Blood Tests

Post by Born-Confused »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:43 am
Born-Confused wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:06 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:27 am I wanted to pay for a doctor and blood tests for a girl who has some health problems, but when I see the price of each test they do I understand why so many Cambodians go directly to the pharmacy to self medicate. Why would they charge so much for each test, as I always thought that it was just a matter of programming the computer on the blood testing machine to do whatever tests you require done.
In Australia I have a full blood test analysis done once a year, which is over 50 items and it's all free.

Do they charge for each and every test like that in Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
None of these tests are "free" in Australia. You only, don't pay for them as they are covered through Medicare and many of the standard tests are subsidised through the Medicare Benefits Schedule. There are quite a number of tests that are not on the MBS, and so will have to be paid for by the patient.
Pathology services are not just a machine that will run blood through - there are all sorts of kits, substrates and antibodies, which are required for these tests. Each test also has to run to a set of standards, to ensure that the range is correct.
So the pricing schedule that you have listed looks on par, if not cheaper than the cost in another Western country.

Consultant with a Central Hospital doctor is $ 45 , which equates to around about 25 % of a factory workers monthly salary . A monthly salary in Oz would be around about A $4,000 . I have never heard of an Australian paying 25% [ $1,000 ] for a doctors appointment.

The 6 to 10 blood tests required would cost over $100 ,, which is about 50 % of a factory workers salary. I have never heard of an Australian worker on the min monthly wage paying 50 % [ $2,000 ] for 6 to 10 blood tests.

Perhaps the comparison in your prices is being made with a western country I am unfamiliar with.
So, are you saying that a new iphone in Cambodia should cost $50, and you should peg everything to what a person earns a month?
Your question was about blood tests, not consultation costs. That is entirely unrelated to your original question.
Re blood tests - The Pasteur Institute get all of their reagents, test kits and so forth from the same suppliers that will provide pathological services in Paris. For 6 to 10 blood tests in Australia, it would cost $100, the same. You only don't pay, as the hospital pathology testing is mostly covered under the MBS. That is a fact. The kits/reagents/standards used will be the same or similar to what they will use in a reputable facility, like the Pasteur.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Blood Tests

Post by John Bingham »

Go to Paramed on 154, they are not only inexpensive, they are where samples from a whole lot of private hospitals are processed anyway (besides Pasteur Institute), but they of course are going to have to charge more just for the hassle of sending your bio-fluids across to them and back, typing everything out nicely and interpreting the data, and advising solutions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic