glass marbles

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

glass marbles

Post by SINUS »

When I was just a kid, in the then USSR we had a cool game - glass marbles.
We used them for different purposes - for playing "marbles", collected them, exchanged them for other marbles, and even used them as a kind of children's currency.
with these balls you could “buy” anything from other boys - tin soldiers, model cars, a toy pistol, some kind of sweet bun, anything, they even exchanged them with each other for postage stamps. :)
and the thought was constantly present in our conversations - where do they come from, these balls?
There were many different incredible versions, even to the point that these were alien probes dropped on our planet and collecting information about earthlings. :)
The girls secretly shared their version - this is what fairy glass goats poop. There are very few glass goats in nature, which is why balls are very rare. :) and you can’t argue...
in short, what am I talking about? :)
Today I closed for myself this “childish” question about the purpose of the balls!
I used a knife to open a used aerosol can of paint and there were two balls in it!
Of course, you can laugh at this story, but everyone had a childhood and it’s great that people find answers to their long-standing questions. :)

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: glass marbles

Post by Ghostwriter »

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SINUS wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:15 am I used a knife to open a used aerosol can of paint and there were two balls in it!
..... and it’s great that people find answers to their long-standing questions. :)

ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Very much remember these games!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Nowadays they always seem to come attached to a string; what is that all about, I just want to play marbles, not have to spend half a morning cutting them free.
:shock:

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:34 am Nowadays they always seem to come attached to a string; what is that all about, I just want to play marbles, not have to spend half a morning cutting them free.
:shock:

They look a lot like something I've seen in a shop in Bangkok. :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic