Passports and paternity

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Passports and paternity

Post by Khmu Nation »

Im trying to get a UK passport for my son and its proving to be a nightmare. The evidence I need to provide is so endless if I have another kid it might be beneficial to record myself having sex with the mother to be so I can submit the video as evidence of paternity.

Ive asked this question several times to HMPO (His Majesty's Passport Office) and never get an answer so I will ask here as maybe one of you know -

With DNA tests being almost 100% accurate, as well as standing up in a court of law, rather than asking for about 100 pieces of paper evidence why dont they ask for a DNA test from me and my child?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Passports and paternity

Post by phuketrichard »

"......be beneficial to record myself having sex with the mother to be so I can submit the video as evidence of paternity."
that doens't prove its urs :-) LOL ( all in jest)

Seems its getting harder an harder to get whats rightly do ur kids nowadays>
ie; citizenship of ur country thru birth.

good luck, our's is not to reason why............
Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

I chortled at the sex video thing, I am going through it as well.

I think if you are in the UK they would ask you to go to the nearest clinic and get a DNA test done. Here, not so straight forward and as far as I am aware they are no designated DNA testing labs for that, like getting certified translations.

I have to send more pictures of us together before the kid was born, we have been together for 9 years, plus more proof that I was around during her pregnancy, I have not left the country since 2017.
Plus proof of residence, although her ID card, driving licence don't match!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:19 am Im trying to get a UK passport for my son and its proving to be a nightmare. The evidence I need to provide is so endless if I have another kid it might be beneficial to record myself having sex with the mother to be so I can submit the video as evidence of paternity.

Ive asked this question several times to HMPO (His Majesty's Passport Office) and never get an answer so I will ask here as maybe one of you know -

With DNA tests being almost 100% accurate, as well as standing up in a court of law, rather than asking for about 100 pieces of paper evidence why dont they ask for a DNA test from me and my child?
For a DNA test not only the test has to be 99.9999% reliable, but they also have to establish your identity with a 100% certainty, as well as your kid's before taking the samples. I think that's where the doubt is for HMPO concerning DNA tests from this region.

But I feel your pain. Getting a passport for my kid was a pain too, for other reasons, but still. A major pain which took nearly a year. The Cambodian passport was a breeze compared to the foreign one.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:19 am Im trying to get a UK passport for my son and its proving to be a nightmare. The evidence I need to provide is so endless if I have another kid it might be beneficial to record myself having sex with the mother to be so I can submit the video as evidence of paternity.

The UK passport office are most unreasonable to all their subjects it seems; you and countless others all sing the same song

My kids' first passports took around 5 minutes and just needed mine, mums and kids birth certificates (with the Khmer ones translated to the language of my home nation) and a few pics along with application form

possibly too easy; but that's another thread entirely
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

And bear in mind that some jurisdictions might require that the putative mother also has a DNA test to prove maternity.

This is not as crazy as it sounds.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Passports and paternity

Post by jah steu »

Kammekor wrote: For a DNA test not only the test has to be 99.9999% reliable, but they also have to establish your identity with a 100% certainty, as well as your kid's before taking the samples. I think that's where the doubt is for HMPO concerning DNA tests from this region.
Yes this is very important. I faced this situation trying to get an Australian passport for my daughter here. They rejected the initial application but gave me the option of doing a DNA test. The mother and daughter had their samples taken here, in front of an Australian embassy person, and had their ID documents verified. Their samples were then sent to an embassy-approved lab in Australia. My sample (I was in Australia) was also sent to this same lab. Once the positive result came through, Aus citizenship was confirmed immediately. Very efficient process but not cheap, at about $850.
I would strongly guess that the UK authorities have a similar process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:19 am Im trying to get a UK passport for my son and its proving to be a nightmare.
While the excess of bureaucracy is a pain in the rectum, I don’t see their procedures being radically changed. Not in the short term.

You’ve not specified what the problems are that you’ve encountered. I and a few others have recently completed the process successfully. In my case I filled a 20 pocket plastic organiser with the various documents, and 90 photos. HMPO fucked up a lot, as did VFS global. But their fuckups are inconsistent, and some have sailed through.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:49 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:19 am Im trying to get a UK passport for my son and its proving to be a nightmare.
While the excess of bureaucracy is a pain in the rectum, I don’t see their procedures being radically changed. Not in the short term.

You’ve not specified what the problems are that you’ve encountered. I and a few others have recently completed the process successfully. In my case I filled a 20 pocket plastic organiser with the various documents, and 90 photos. HMPO fucked up a lot, as did VFS global. But their fuckups are inconsistent, and some have sailed through.
This time, and this my 2nd submission, I didnt provide enough photos and I didnt provide my wife's birth certificate. Both of these items are surely IRRELEVANT?

My son is British through his DNA being of mine, not whether I am a present person in his life. Even if I had never met him he still qualifies for a UK passport.

What does my wife's birth cert have to do with the 'Britishness' of my son as he doesnt qualify through her. She doesnt have a birth cert and to get one she will have to go to the district she was born in - right up in the mountains of Northern Laos. It takes about 12 hours to get there.

As the UK establishment is so into righteous DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) schemes, along with London endless bragging about its multi culturalism, along with asylum seekers and immigrants being in every town of every county it seems surprising that to obtain a UK passport the HMPO start from a 'guilty until proven innocent' you're scamming us position.

And of course getting to talk to a human being at HMPO is utterly impossible.

They couldnt make this process any harder.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

So very happy I don't have kids. And especially not with a local woman in a foreign country... :Yahoo!:

Anyway, what's the big advantage of getting a British Passport anyway? Just to cross more borders more easily? Certainly, it won't confer any rights or advantages to your kids except the ease of accessing the higher education system, perhaps?

Good luck guys !
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic