Seeking advice

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Seeking advice

Post by Jerry Atrick »

DavidMurphy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:10 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:57 pm
DavidMurphy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 am May I ask how long you have been in Cambodia?
I'll bite. Over 12 years. I wake at 4:30, exercise, coffee and rice soup. Back to the room for a herbal cigarette. The sky Sheila woke at 3:00, took my $800 phone and $400 cash and presumably got on a bus to Prey Veng to celebrate with her family. Any more questions, sparky?
??
u said" .....my bicycle, my laptop, my motorbike, my phone, my room, my cash, my security"

OK phone and cash BUT
how did she get all those?? didn't know rooms could be stolen>>> how did she get the bicycle AND motorbike at the same time and than on a bus??
:please:
I said I lost them, not that she stole them.
It was a domino effect. Having had an $800 phone and $400 cash stolen by her, I had to replace the phone, sell the laptop ($130), bicycle ($120), moto ($100 coz no owner docs). Then rent day arrived a week before payday and I had to gtfo. FYI, if you kip at a pagoda, there's a two night limit. Did 4 temples, 2 nights each, then my pay arrived and I rented a room.
next time just borrow the rent, or ask landlord for an extension after explaining the situation; particularly if all of this came to a head just a week before payday

the information omitted is far more entertaining than what is shown i reckon; presuming no walter mitty sock
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:57 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 am May I ask how long you have been in Cambodia?
I'll bite. Over 12 years. I wake at 4:30, exercise, coffee and rice soup. Back to the room for a herbal cigarette. The sky Sheila woke at 3:00, took my $800 phone and $400 cash and presumably got on a bus to Prey Veng to celebrate with her family. Any more questions, sparky?
??
u said" .....my bicycle, my laptop, my motorbike, my phone, my room, my cash, my security"

OK phone and cash BUT
how did she get all those?? didn't know rooms could be stolen>>> how did she get the bicycle AND motorbike at the same time and than on a bus??
It was a domino effect. Having had an $800 phone and $400 cash stolen by her, I had to replace the phone, sell the laptop ($130), bicycle ($120), moto ($100 coz no owner docs). Then rent day arrived a week before payday and I had to gtfo. FYI, if you kip at a pagoda, there's a two night limit. Did 4 temples, 2 nights each, then my pay arrived and I rented a room.
next time just borrow the rent, or ask landlord for an extension after explaining the situation; particularly if all of this came to a head just a week before payday

the information omitted is far more entertaining than what is shown i reckon; presuming no walter mitty sock
I think it was clear that I was looking for advice for my friend, not financial advice for myself from you lot.
I work part-time online and make just enough to pay for my beer, my food, my smoke and my $40 rent. Before the Covid 19 pandemic, I was bagging a cupla grand++ a month, had $7,000 in my Acleda account, rented a beautiful $200 seafront room in Kep, then all went to shit. Almost all my students in China got the virus and all of the staff at Language Master did. Uhoh!
Once a decade, I have a financial crisis like the one I described but my future is secure. When my 97 year old mother pops her clogs in a few years, a third of the €1.5m house she owns will be mine. I painted every room in that house, washed the windows, hoovered the upstairs (a sister did the ground floor), dug the vegetable garden, mowed the other three gardens in summer, planted the trees and roses, repaired any electrical issue, any minor plumbing issue etc. back in the '70s and '80s because Dad was busy at work and Mum was laid up most days with a slipped disc after slipping on the ice one January morning. Us kids filled and emptied the dishwasher and washing machine.
I put the clothes on the clothesline and my sisters did the ironing. We mopped the kitchen floor and front porch for our parents because of Mum's condition.
I think we deserve our inheritance.
No more rice whisky and rice soup for me after that point. Fillet steak, prawn salad, 18 year old single malt Bushmills and top grade smoke!
Thanks to the nine members who offered genuine advice. Bollix to the rest of you!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

DavidMurphy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:27 pm

??

OK phone and cash BUT

I think it was clear that I was looking for advice for my friend, not financial advice for myself from you lot.
I work part-time online and make just enough to pay for my beer, my food, my smoke and my $40 rent. Before the Covid 19 pandemic, I was bagging a cupla grand++ a month, had $7,000 in my Acleda account, rented a beautiful $200 seafront room in Kep, then all went to shit. Almost all my students in China got the virus and all of the staff at Language Master did. Uhoh!
Once a decade, I have a financial crisis like the one I described but my future is secure. When my 97 year old mother pops her clogs in a few years, a third of the €1.5m house she owns will be mine. I painted every room in that house, washed the windows, hoovered the upstairs (a sister did the ground floor), dug the vegetable garden, mowed the other three gardens in summer, planted the trees and roses, repaired any electrical issue, any minor plumbing issue etc. back in the '70s and '80s because Dad was busy at work and Mum was laid up most days with a slipped disc after slipping on the ice one January morning. Us kids filled and emptied the dishwasher and washing machine.
I put the clothes on the clothesline and my sisters did the ironing. We mopped the kitchen floor and front porch for our parents because of Mum's condition.
No more rice whisky and rice soup for me after that point. Fillet steak, prawn salad, 18 year old single malt Bushmills and top grade smoke!
Thanks to the nine members who offered genuine advice. Bollix to the rest of you!
#amen
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Marx wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 am On the other side of our compassion, however easy or difficult it is to arrive at, is this: My wife, despite (or perhaps because of) her steadfast tread on the Eightfold Path, is truly incensed when westerners claim refuge in Cambodia’s temples. Why? Because they are built and maintained on the sweat and labour and hopes and fears of the poor, and using them to sleep off a particular bad hangover (or a series of poor life choices…) is deeply insulting, so she and her family see it. ‘They should go home to do that’. And, I must assume, many others like her see it that way, it’s possibly why the monks send westerners on after two nights, to avoid antagonising their local supporters too much. How many Khmer people really do want to give a bowl of rice to a paddy who’s had a bad run-in with a bar girl?
Many of my western friends feels the same about "foreigners", I don't particularly agree.

Now I wonder how much foreign aid Cambodia receives from European countries alone (not counting the what, 100 million USD from the US) every year, vs how much meals Cambodian pagodas hands out to westerners in need? Can your wife answer that, perhaps?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

DavidMurphy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:47 am I made a foolish mistake a few months ago and trusted a shrewd provincial bar girl. Of course, she turned me over. I lost everything - my bicycle, my laptop, my motorbike, my phone, my room, my cash, my security. Serves me right, I know! I don't seek sympathy. I ended up sleeping on the street and in temples, eating when I could and smoking a cigarette when I was offered one. No drama. I'm a big boy and sucked up the discomfort. I was treated like a feral dog by most people until I rented a room 5km West of the airport a fortnight ago and met a diamond geezer called Bunnat. A smart 44 year old country boy from a poor family who rode a cyclo for years, then bought a motorbike, then a tuk tuk, now a minivan. The man fed me, clothed me and lent me money. Now, we are best friends (understandably).
I want to repay him. He operates a taxi service but he has few customers. His van is spotless and he has a reasonable command of the English language. I want to advise him how to promote himself but I don't know how. Google? Facebook? Tripadvisor? Where? Any advice would be gratefully received.
haha this sounds like something scammer steve would post.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

RedBull wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:22 am
xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:03 am
RedBull wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:51 am Hahah. Yeah, sorry. But haha
Just out of curiosity, an no animosity meant at all, I swear, but an honest question - how does it make you feel when you reply like that to a post about a guy that lost everything and ended up sleeping on the streets?

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm merely fascinated about why people feel the need to respond in this way. What do they get out of it?
I get your point and feeling. I agree, it's not the nicest reply I ever posted. But I assume we're all grown ups here and for that reason I find it interesting that you manage to end up in a situation like this.

Things like this happens to gullible teenagers, unaware of the "real world" that's out there. So yeah, judge me for it, but I do find it funny that a grown ass man ends up in a situation like this.

I'm not a saint, obviously, but come on.
"...judge me for it,.."

Ok.

"But I assume we're all grown ups here..."

"Hahah. Yeah, sorry. But haha."

It probably hasn't happened to you because the ruthless, devil's daughters target "Good hearts."

You sound like you'd rip them off!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

??

OK phone and cash BUT

Mate, you didn't mention you had 500k coming.

I'll send you link and get an online video set up for him.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

DavidMurphy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:27 pm When my 97 year old mother pops her clogs in a few years, a third of the €1.5m house she owns will be mine.
While it might be true, I find your comment rather disrespectful. You might want to look into taxes involved too. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:57 pm ??

OK phone and cash BUT

Mate, you didn't mention you had 500k coming.

I'll send you link and get an online video set up for him.
Just my personal opinion.

I wouldn’t want wishing counting on the death of my parents as my retirement plan.

I would hope to enjoy retirement in Siem Reap on my own efforts, not someone else’s.

Good job climbing out of the hole that the wrong girl got you into.
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 pm
DavidMurphy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:47 am I made a foolish mistake a few months ago and trusted a shrewd provincial bar girl. Of course, she turned me over. I lost everything - my bicycle, my laptop, my motorbike, my phone, my room, my cash, my security. Serves me right, I know! I don't seek sympathy. I ended up sleeping on the street and in temples, eating when I could and smoking a cigarette when I was offered one. No drama. I'm a big boy and sucked up the discomfort. I was treated like a feral dog by most people until I rented a room 5km West of the airport a fortnight ago and met a diamond geezer called Bunnat. A smart 44 year old country boy from a poor family who rode a cyclo for years, then bought a motorbike, then a tuk tuk, now a minivan. The man fed me, clothed me and lent me money. Now, we are best friends (understandably).
I want to repay him. He operates a taxi service but he has few customers. His van is spotless and he has a reasonable command of the English language. I want to advise him how to promote himself but I don't know how. Google? Facebook? Tripadvisor? Where? Any advice would be gratefully received.
haha this sounds like something scammer steve would post.
Who is scammer Steve?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic