Seeking advice

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Seeking advice

Post by yongchi »

Good on you for looking out for your friend as well. Should I ever find myself in a pickle like that, I hope I can meet a kind soul like him too.

I just had a look on Grab (Psar Tmey->Airport).
They appear to only have car and SUV. I would contact them anyway, to see whether he can get on board (perhaps even as a car for the time being), if the numbers make economic sense at all.

If he does the airport route, maybe he can also meet smaller groups that might need a longer tour.

Also, if it turns out that the van is not viable in the long run, he could consider downsizing to a car, or depending on his van even an SUV. Could be also be used for Cambodia tours.

I second what folks have said before, def. get a Facebook page. Are there any SEA travel groups on Facebook in your country? Perhaps a small ad budget?

In addition, I would also make a simple web site. In some countries, ppl. prefer that. I do.
Create a Google business profile...

All the best of luck to your friend, and you as well, sir.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I highly recommend he use business cards. A little story - I lived in PP for 5 years, used tuktuks, just grabbed one off the street when needed. One time, the tuktuk guy gave me a business card, said to call him whenever I needed a ride. Great guy, Mr. Li is his name. Careful driver, polite, kept the tuktuk washed and clean. I was impressed. Kept the card. For the past 6 years, when I need a ride, i call him. Get your friend some business cards. Another thing - he has a number on the card that can be called, the person on the other end speaks English (Mr. Li doesn't) if you need a translation.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

RedBull wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:51 am Hahah. Yeah, sorry. But haha
Just out of curiosity, an no animosity meant at all, I swear, but an honest question - how does it make you feel when you reply like that to a post about a guy that lost everything and ended up sleeping on the streets?

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm merely fascinated about why people feel the need to respond in this way. What do they get out of it?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rgrowden wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:38 am I highly recommend he use business cards. A little story - I lived in PP for 5 years, used tuktuks, just grabbed one off the street when needed. One time, the tuktuk guy gave me a business card, said to call him whenever I needed a ride. Great guy, Mr. Li is his name. Careful driver, polite, kept the tuktuk washed and clean. I was impressed. Kept the card. For the past 6 years, when I need a ride, i call him. Get your friend some business cards. Another thing - he has a number on the card that can be called, the person on the other end speaks English (Mr. Li doesn't) if you need a translation.
Since that's what all the drivers do it won't let him stand out.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:02 am
rgrowden wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:38 am I highly recommend he use business cards. A little story - I lived in PP for 5 years, used tuktuks, just grabbed one off the street when needed. One time, the tuktuk guy gave me a business card, said to call him whenever I needed a ride. Great guy, Mr. Li is his name. Careful driver, polite, kept the tuktuk washed and clean. I was impressed. Kept the card. For the past 6 years, when I need a ride, i call him. Get your friend some business cards. Another thing - he has a number on the card that can be called, the person on the other end speaks English (Mr. Li doesn't) if you need a translation.
It won't make him stand out, and it's not a major selling point. However, it works as far as garnering repeat custom. Much easier to contact the guy that gave you a card than the guy that didn't.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:19 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:02 am
It won't make him stand out, and it's not a major selling point. However, it works as far as garnering repeat custom. Much easier to contact the guy that gave you a card than the guy that didn't.
Maybe if he's great. Everytime I drive a new taxi / van I get a card. How many of those did I keep do you think?
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:03 am
Just out of curiosity, an no animosity meant at all, I swear, but an honest question - how does it make you feel when you reply like that to a post about a guy that lost everything and ended up sleeping on the streets?

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm merely fascinated about why people feel the need to respond in this way. What do they get out of it?
I get your point and feeling. I agree, it's not the nicest reply I ever posted. But I assume we're all grown ups here and for that reason I find it interesting that you manage to end up in a situation like this.

Things like this happens to gullible teenagers, unaware of the "real world" that's out there. So yeah, judge me for it, but I do find it funny that a grown ass man ends up in a situation like this.

I'm not a saint, obviously, but come on.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

DavidMurphy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 am May I ask how long you have been in Cambodia?
I'll bite. Over 12 years. I wake at 4:30, exercise, coffee and rice soup. Back to the room for a herbal cigarette. The sky Sheila woke at 3:00, took my $800 phone and $400 cash and presumably got on a bus to Prey Veng to celebrate with her family. Any more questions, sparky?
12 years and you only joined CEO last year, were you on TOF!

I hope you get your stuff back, doubtful, but if you have been here 12 years that is a pretty rookie mistake to make, sparky.
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

YaTingPom wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:40 am
DavidMurphy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 am May I ask how long you have been in Cambodia?
I'll bite. Over 12 years. I wake at 4:30, exercise, coffee and rice soup. Back to the room for a herbal cigarette. The sky Sheila woke at 3:00, took my $800 phone and $400 cash and presumably got on a bus to Prey Veng to celebrate with her family. Any more questions, sparky?
12 years and you only joined CEO last year, were you on TOF!

I hope you get your stuff back, doubtful, but if you have been here 12 years that is a pretty rookie mistake to make, sparky.
I wish I could be more like you, right?
A self-righteous pompous douchebag who never erred in his entire puff.
Fuck you very much 😛
(All tongue in cheek, needless to say)
Stuff ain't coming back. Don't miss it.
Got new stuff. Moved on.....
Cheers!

P.S. I remembered the comment, "Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people."
I thought, "What a dumb illinformed tosser!"
Yesterday you proved my opinion to be a valid one.
Last edited by DavidMurphy on Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

RedBull wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:22 am
xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:03 am

I get your point and feeling. I agree, it's not the nicest reply I ever posted. But I assume we're all grown ups here and for that reason I find it interesting that you manage to end up in a situation like this.

Things like this happens to gullible teenagers, unaware of the "real world" that's out there. So yeah, judge me for it, but I do find it funny that a grown ass man ends up in a situation like this.

I'm not a saint, obviously, but come on.
You're just digging a deeper hole for yourself and revealing just how self-righteous and pitiless you are. Let's hope you don't let your guard down for one second and get rightly turned over, right? I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even a tragic excuse for a human being like your good self.
Have a great day and stay away from mirrors, young man. You might accidentally catch a glimpse of the real you.
Ya get me?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic