Cambodian Police respond to South African DJ's claims of assault, corruption

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Police respond to South African DJ's claims of assault, corruption

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I see this story making the rounds on Facebook and pissing off a lot of locals at the police, so perhaps they finallu decided to respond:
KhmerTimes wrote:Phnom Penh Police respond to ‘false information’ by South African DJ, who claimed he was assaulted and incorrectly fined

National March 3, 2024
Phnom Penh Police respond to ‘false information’ by South African DJ, who claimed he was assaulted and incorrectly fined
(Khmer Times)

Phnom Penh Municipal Police have responded to the posting of what it says is false information by a foreigner living in Phnom Penh – which it says damages the honor of law enforcement officers who were performing their duties correctly.

The rebuttal from the Phnom Penh Municipal Police came in response to a message posted on social media by South African DJ/MC FRANCO DU TOIT, who performs at a number of Phnom Penh venues

Mr Du Toit claimed that “KHMER police take my phone and pulling on my neck. Wanting to take me to jail after i finish work. tell me to pay into personal ABA. Please help to resolve this. SCAM.
Only no helmet
They took my phone from me telling me i can not leave if i dont pay. Grabbed my neck and pushed me to the sidewalk. Told me i can not take video or picture, they grabbed my phone out my hand when i called my girlfriend.
Police man told me to drive on Mao Tse Toung Blvd street 245. I was driving on a small road on my way home. I drive that road almost every night after work”

Mr Du Toit also posted a screenshot of the $250 he claims he was forced to pay to police.

The Information and Quick Reaction Team of the Phnom Penh Municipal Police Commission, however, states that on the night of March 1, 2024, the Boeung Keng Kang District Police Inspectorate, led by Major General Sor Samnang, Deputy Commissioner and Lieutenant Colonel Vuth Phosavorn, Boeung Keng Kang District Police Inspector, implemented the road traffic law and checked for alcohol on Mao Tse Tung Road at the corner of Street 105, Khan Boeung Keng Kang,

Police therefore stopped a foreigner was driving a big blue motorcycle with license plate Phnom Penh 1BH-9456,

The man was driving at high speed and not wearing a helmet, so the police stopped him for questioning.

Police asked him to take the test for alcohol and found 0.91 mg of alcohol per liter of air.

They explained to him that he would be fined 1 million Riels for driving under the influence of alcohol under the regulations pertaining to the new Article 10 of Sub-Decree No. 39

The man was also informed that he will not be allowed to drive the motorcycle onward, and that he will have to leave the motorcycle at the police station.

Authorities then issued a fine of 1 million riel, during which he did not protest.

At that time, he took an illicit photo of the police and sent it to his friends via telegram.

The police saw it and asked him to delete it.

Later, the police advised the foreigner to call his non-alcohol affected friends to assist him.

After a while, his friends came to pick him up and the authorities allowed the foreign friends to ride his motorbike and take him away.

For the above foreigners, the police found out that he worked as a DJ at a club, but he was fired by the club and went to work in another club

He has been requested to come to the Phnom Penh Police for questioning because law enforcement authorities apply the law to the public, whether Cambodians or foreigners, and all must participate in respecting the law.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Police respond to South African DJ's claims of assault, corruption

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The South African expat living in Phnom Penh, Jacobus Francois Du Toit, has issued a heartfelt apology to the Cambodian people and the police, saying he has changed his mind and now realizes he driving drunk, and the police are good and were just doing their job. Franco Du Toit has written a statement down and made a video, which he shared on social media.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Police respond to South African DJ's claims of assault, corruption

Post by Lost50 »

I can never forgive such poor writing skills.

Hope he's not 'teaching' when not spinning de tunez.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Is his surname pronounced "Twat"? If not, it should be.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:22 pm Is his surname pronounced "Twat"? If not, it should be.
It probably is.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I sure hope his apology was heartfelt.
SiemReapLOL
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SiemReapLOL »

Alex wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:09 pm I sure hope his apology was heartfelt.
Definitely heartfelt. Not even a little coerced by the incorruptible competent authority. No doubt the grief is keeping him up at night
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I'm sure he is seriously regretting his foolishness now while he is sat waiting in his cell at the Immigration Detention Centre pending deportation (Overstay and working illegally - expired visa EOS, no WP).
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:27 pm I'm sure he is seriously regretting his foolishness now while he is sat waiting in his cell at the Immigration Detention Centre pending deportation (Overstay and working illegally - expired visa EOS, no WP).
What a bloody muppet. I'd have thought rule number one of being an overstayer and illegal worker, or anything illegal for that matter, would be not to draw police attention to yourself.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

There is a lotta wankery in the world.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic