Do you have children? How many? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How many children do you have?

1. None for me.
28%
2. One
15%
3. Two
20%
4. Three
13%
5. Four
13%
6. Five.
5%
7. Six.
3%
8. A lot.
5%

Total votes: 40
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do you have children? How many? Poll.

Post by newsgatherer »

Kenr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:48 pm ? Most of my family and friends didn’t even know where Cambodia was much less have an opinion about it.
Okay, Thailand?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:06 pm
Kenr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:48 pm ? Most of my family and friends didn’t even know where Cambodia was much less have an opinion about it.
Okay, Thailand?
They know Thailand because I used to vacation there.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:49 pm

Fair enough. Still curious if you experience that the likes of you outnumber the traffic accident type?
According to the Department of Immigration, nearly 300,000 foreigners were living in Cambodia during the first half of 2023. During that time, the department issued about 280,000 non-immigrant visas. Nearly 260,000 foreigners applied for work permits through the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training.
My guestimate is the derelicts can be counted among the few.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:28 pm

Fair enough. Still curious if you experience that the likes of you outnumber the traffic accident type?
According to the Department of Immigration, nearly 300,000 foreigners were living in Cambodia during the first half of 2023. During that time, the department issued about 280,000 non-immigrant visas. Nearly 260,000 foreigners applied for work permits through the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training.
Foreigners is not specific to westerners so those numbers offer little insight. That's in all likelihood mostly Vietnamese, Chinese and so on.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Guessing 5-10% Westerners, 20-30k
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kenr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:29 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:37 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am Odd subject from someone who decided not to have kids and needs reassurance they did the correct thing!
Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people.

I have four but started late and my first was born when I was in my early 30s.
Really? You think people who don't have kids are selfish because the world needs more people?

I'll bet that the 12 million+ children in the United States who are food insecure would disagree. So would the 390,000 or so kids in the Unite States who are in the foster care system on any given day, along with the approximate 25,000 kids who age out of the foster care system every year who don't have anywhere to call home.

Before we start judging people for not having children and claiming we need more people in the world we should probably be taking care of the people that are here now.
Lol @ "food insecure" ref ...
Do you even know what that means? But then I guess it's easy for someone who is kicking back and collecting VA disability and SSDI checks to laugh about children starving.
What he said (in video) ...

simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I fit into the 'A lot!' category, in that I have 4 'blood' children,2 Thai step-daughters whom I raised from birth (because their mad mother was .. er ... mad!), and 2 Thai nieces whom I raised from about 3 years old because their parents were shite-poor and were unable to care for their kids. The father is the brother of the mad mother (see above), and they were living in a one-bed bamboo shack that they built by the side of the road. I was living just down the road, so I became guardian of these nieces and they lived with me.

Sadly, the youngest niece died in my arms 2 years ago from TB that was undetected until it was too late :( But the 7 others are now in their 20's and doing well with college and/or businesses.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:28 pm

keep in mind Chinese are considered foreigners in Cambodia> and i bet , ( NO proof) out of the 280,000 Non im visas 250,000++ goes to them,
westerners, 10,000 at most
the rest between Japanese, Koreans and Vietnamese

when i used to live in Kep never got to the girly bars as when i was in kampot it was always before 2 pm, but they all seem concentrated in the old market area where the tents where, outside that 2-3 blocks, never saw any but did hear there were some over the river.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

simon43 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:28 pm I fit into the 'A lot!' category, in that I have 4 'blood' children,2 Thai step-daughters whom I raised from birth (because their mad mother was .. er ... mad!), and 2 Thai nieces whom I raised from about 3 years old because their parents were shite-poor and were unable to care for their kids. The father is the brother of the mad mother (see above), and they were living in a one-bed bamboo shack that they built by the side of the road. I was living just down the road, so I became guardian of these nieces and they lived with me.

Sadly, the youngest niece died in my arms 2 years ago from TB that was undetected until it was too late :( But the 7 others are now in their 20's and doing well with college and/or businesses.
question for ya and not to pry but, as u have posted u were living in Burma a few years, an island dont recall the name and laos a few times>
where any of them with you ?

having and raising a child thru 18 was a unique wonderful experience, but not easy as a single parent
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:57 pm
Kenr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:29 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:37 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am Odd subject from someone who decided not to have kids and needs reassurance they did the correct thing!
Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people.

I have four but started late and my first was born when I was in my early 30s.
Really? You think people who don't have kids are selfish because the world needs more people?

I'll bet that the 12 million+ children in the United States who are food insecure would disagree. So would the 390,000 or so kids in the Unite States who are in the foster care system on any given day, along with the approximate 25,000 kids who age out of the foster care system every year who don't have anywhere to call home.

Before we start judging people for not having children and claiming we need more people in the world we should probably be taking care of the people that are here now.
Lol @ "food insecure" ref ...
Do you even know what that means? But then I guess it's easy for someone who is kicking back and collecting VA disability and SSDI checks to laugh about children starving.
What he said (in video) ...

It’s kind of like you, someone who has to lie and make up stories about their life because their true reality is boring?

You’re a fake and a fraud, stop inventing stories to make yourself feel important and relevant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic