Do you have children? How many? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How many children do you have?

1. None for me.
28%
2. One
15%
3. Two
20%
4. Three
13%
5. Four
13%
6. Five.
5%
7. Six.
3%
8. A lot.
5%

Total votes: 40
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do you have children? How many? Poll.

Post by Kenr »

What typical bias? What does "doing fine" mean?
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

People fly in and spend all their time in a few places where they can find eggs, bacon, toast and beer in abundance. It's not much different from the average working-class life a few miles from the inflation-hit coastal areas back home. You'll find the same seedy behavior there. Give me some numbers and statistics again.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And I have absolutely no numbers or statistics to provide to you because, again, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:06 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:44 am
newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:36 am This is a place here where lower class white people come to spend their money on poor families, I agree. It's a thin line that stretches for a few blocks, where many white people don't stray very far. You will find psychotic behavior from women who have been disappointed too often in their lives. I would still like to see some figures. I know a lot of girls are willing to get a few hundred a month for their child, and you see the world's oldest craft being passed down from generation to generation. But this is no longer the common factor. But it seems to be the preferred location for many people abroad. As for living beyond these areas, I can say that I always get exact and correct change when I buy eggs and bread.
Well it's easy access, the bar girls and freelancers speak english and have nothing but time to spend with you.
Meeting a "regular" woman here takes a bit more effort, unless maybe you're a sexy beast with a fat wallet, but I don't see too many of those expats around Kampot lol

But numbers would be interesting, ie what % of western visitors / expats hangs around the bars with ladies of the night and other westerners vs those having integrated more with Cambodian society and living in stable relationships.

I imagine there is a fair amount on CEO living the regular family life here in Cambodia, or elsewhere with a Cambodian wife.
However, having been a bar fly in Kampot for an extended time, I get the impression there is a majority of alternative #1.

Just the fact that every other place in Kampot town is a lady bar kind of speaks for itself.

Could be wrong though.
My Ethiopian brother; not every second bar in Kampot is a hostess bar

It's closer to every third bar in Kampot being hostess bar

And most of the hostesses have ended up there at the tail of a career spanning PP-SKV-KPT so that group and the detritus of their various families and partners is, I would venture, not representative of the majority of mixed families here but rather a concentration of both the less desirable elements of "western" and Khmer cultures

But that's just like my opinion, man
Looking at the center of town, old market area, virtually 100% hostess/freelancer bars. If you expand your search a bit I will settle for maybe every 2.5th bar :D

But I wasn't insinuating that majority of mixed families were represented here. Rather wondering what portion of westerners are just fucking around rather than being good family men.

I realize the integrated westerners with mixed families probably aren't as visible to someone like me who only rarely goes out and always to some shady place.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

The prejudices often associated with Western newcomers generally seem to paint a less flattering picture of the culture here. They emphasize a few areas and make it look like the norm. But in reality, most children are doing just fine. It's an information society, the colonial era is looking more and more like an old rotary telephone. Cambodia’s future is one of a growing economy and a young population. It may currently be one of the best places in the world to have children. Especially if you seek to rid yourself of typical western prejudices against SEA.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:02 am This is where I feel like you have limited experience in the field, because I don't think they speak English very well most of the time. However, they are good at pretending to listen, but if you check on them, they don't even care. In 'every other place' !?!. The bars in Kampot, these girls have a family and a younger boyfriend, the white people make a lot of money, even the idiots. This seems amplified by a few seedy service locations. But take your average white narcissist, reality TV show contestants are just as promiscuous, if not more so. The price is just higher. I'd be happy to hear about any loser getting ripped off for a quick ride on the elevator of youth and deception.
I did not say they are all fluent, but they're generally way easier to communicate with than your average Sreymom that doesn't know a word of english and has little to no interest in an aging westerner that gives fuck all about her culture, language and everything else except her pussy.

My question being, does the majority of western men in this country fit that description, or is majority well meaning family men with a genuine interest for the local culture beyond the obvious favorable economic situation?

Did not quite get your reference to reality tv, or losers getting ripped off. As for the girls stories and reasons for working the bar, they do vary a lot.

But I think it's quite rare that punters asks questions about such things, they mostly just talk about themselves and are happy that someone pretends to listen.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I came for the weather and personal freedom. Too old to integrate into society, but the children are doing well. I'm not too old to spend the extra free time I have teaching them what I believe are right values. Give them free internet access and a nice computer. It's really not that hard work. I don't have to worry about school shootings. Or people lumping my kids in with Long Beach hip-hop culture and the expanded tattoo regime, etc. The school they attend makes them realize the differences in our culture and gives me hope that there is a future that is more positive than the average biased Western perspective would offer.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Marx »

I realize the integrated westerners with mixed families probably aren't as visible to someone like me who only rarely goes out and always to some shady place.
I think that those kind of people aren't very visible as posters on CEO. A hard core of regular posters, including some mods, do seem to have a vast wealth of experience of girly bars - prices, quality of girls, declining quality of girls/service, history over the last decade, etc. - that they're usually keen to share, whatever the original subject of the post. This is only of very limited interest to those of us who choose to live in places, with our families, where that kind of bar doesn't exist. And, when they're in Phnom Penh, look at the clientele occupying the outdoor seats with a kind of fascinated horror, the way you have to look at bad traffic accidents.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:46 pm I came for the weather and personal freedom. Too old to integrate into society, but the children are doing well. I'm not too old to spend the extra free time I have teaching them what I believe are right values. Give them free internet access and a nice computer. It's really not that hard work. I don't have to worry about school shootings. Or people lumping my kids in with Long Beach hip-hop culture and the expanded tattoo regime, etc. The school they attend makes them realize the differences in our culture and gives me hope that there is a future that is more positive than the average biased Western perspective would offer.
What is this biased Western perspective you keep referring to? Most of my family and friends didn’t even know where Cambodia was much less have an opinion about it.

You seem to be the who has the bias and prejudice against Western men here.
Last edited by Kenr on Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Marx wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:39 pm
I think that those kind of people aren't very visible as posters on CEO. A hard core of regular posters, including some mods, do seem to have a vast wealth of experience of girly bars - prices, quality of girls, declining quality of girls/service, history over the last decade, etc. - that they're usually keen to share, whatever the original subject of the post. This is only of very limited interest to those of us who choose to live in places, with our families, where that kind of bar doesn't exist. And, when they're in Phnom Penh, look at the clientele occupying the outdoor seats with a kind of fascinated horror, the way you have to look at bad traffic accidents.
Fair enough. Still curious if you experience that the likes of you outnumber the traffic accident type?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic