Do you have children? How many? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How many children do you have?

1. None for me.
28%
2. One
15%
3. Two
20%
4. Three
13%
5. Four
13%
6. Five.
5%
7. Six.
3%
8. A lot.
5%

Total votes: 40
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do you have children? How many? Poll.

Post by newsgatherer »

It depends on the type of people you are raising. The world needs more educated people. Especially engineers and scientists. Those who develop new AI algorithms to improve factory farming, or a zero-carbon jet engine. You want to raise your children to become ladies and gentlemen who spread an international atmosphere of peace and understanding. We need talented creatives who spread ideas of trust and confidence to others. What we don't need are uneducated criminals, postmodern narcissistic jet setters are also hitting a low point on my personal meter. I face daily conflict trying to make my family understand our modern world and the challenges we face. We don't have a population problem, we have an inequality and poverty problem, since only 10% of the world's population can even afford to travel by airliner. Think about who's the real problem here. It might just be a lot of western folks flying to the third world for an easy lay.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm amazed that nobody has selected the "lot" of kids option

I, as always, provided incorrect info as I suspect the OP is datamining us slowly over the years with all of these hacker type polls to brute force our passwords

that was a joke btw, on you
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:34 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:14 pm
This country is littered with left behind children, and no they don't grow up to be english teachers. They grow up in the countryside with gramma and grampa while mom is working in the bar.

But I realize this is a side of Cambodia we like to pretend don't exist, and if it does exist at least it has nothing to do with us good expats that are simply here to spread the wealth and teach English to the locals.

I find it hard to believe that countless numbers of Western descendants are deprived of opportunities and lost out on the countryside. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of stories about mixed Asian kids in the West who got into trouble because of ethnic barriers. I think most Westerners would have some sort of plan before impregnating a Riverside lady? There are no readily available statistics, so any discussion is purely subjective. But I imagine you've seen a lot of mixed foreign children lost in the countryside here? Do you work with an NGO? Does anyone have access to statistics or is it purely speculation?
I have simply talked to a lot of girls, and asked them about their families.
Go into any hostess bar and strike a conversation you will find this situation is quite common indeed.

Guy meets bar girl. She tries to get pregnant hoping it will trap the guy. He runs way. Baby gets sent back home, and girl goes back to the bar and tries the same thing again. Back home it's all good, babies are like an insurance for the future. When they grow up they can help on the farm or go to fuck foreigners in the bars. It's all good. Remember gramma and grampa are the same people that made mom go to work in the bar to begin with.

Of course there is also moms getting monthly allowances even though dad has fucked off, I've met a few of these girls but not so much in the bar scene.

Then on the other hand you have the poor suckers that got stuck taking care not only of their Cambodian kid but also their siblings, as looney mom fucked off to keep doing her thing. Or the ones where mom is basically holding the kid hostage to pressure the well meaning barang dad for money.

And I shouldn't forget, the few dads that managed to get their kids out of the country and is now blocking mom from interacting with them because mom is a crazy ho.

Indeed, there are many broken homes and kids growing up with some really fucked up adult role models. Believe what you want, I'm really just commenting on the ridiculous idea that making babies is by default a non-selfish act.

Peace be with you.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

This is a place here where lower class white people come to spend their money on poor families, I agree. It's a thin line that stretches for a few blocks, where many white people don't stray very far. You will find psychotic behavior from women who have been disappointed too often in their lives. I would still like to see some figures. I know a lot of girls are willing to get a few hundred a month for their child, and you see the world's oldest craft being passed down from generation to generation. But this is no longer the common factor. But it seems to be the preferred location for many people abroad. As for living beyond these areas, I can say that I always get exact and correct change when I buy eggs and bread.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:37 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am Odd subject from someone who decided not to have kids and needs reassurance they did the correct thing!
Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people.

I have four but started late and my first was born when I was in my early 30s.
Really? You think people who don't have kids are selfish because the world needs more people?

I'll bet that the 12 million+ children in the United States who are food insecure would disagree. So would the 390,000 or so kids in the Unite States who are in the foster care system on any given day, along with the approximate 25,000 kids who age out of the foster care system every year who don't have anywhere to call home.

Before we start judging people for not having children and claiming we need more people in the world we should probably be taking care of the people that are here now.
Lol @ "food insecure" ref ...
Do you even know what that means? But then I guess it's easy for someone who is kicking back and collecting VA disability and SSDI checks to laugh about children starving.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:36 am This is a place here where lower class white people come to spend their money on poor families, I agree. It's a thin line that stretches for a few blocks, where many white people don't stray very far. You will find psychotic behavior from women who have been disappointed too often in their lives. I would still like to see some figures. I know a lot of girls are willing to get a few hundred a month for their child, and you see the world's oldest craft being passed down from generation to generation. But this is no longer the common factor. But it seems to be the preferred location for many people abroad. As for living beyond these areas, I can say that I always get exact and correct change when I buy eggs and bread.
Well it's easy access, the bar girls and freelancers speak english and have nothing but time to spend with you.
Meeting a "regular" woman here takes a bit more effort, unless maybe you're a sexy beast with a fat wallet, but I don't see too many of those expats around Kampot lol

But numbers would be interesting, ie what % of western visitors / expats hangs around the bars with ladies of the night and other westerners vs those having integrated more with Cambodian society and living in stable relationships.

I imagine there is a fair amount on CEO living the regular family life here in Cambodia, or elsewhere with a Cambodian wife.
However, having been a bar fly in Kampot for an extended time, I get the impression there is a majority of alternative #1.

Just the fact that every other place in Kampot town is a lady bar kind of speaks for itself.

Could be wrong though.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

This is where I feel like you have limited experience in the field, because I don't think they speak English very well most of the time. However, they are good at pretending to listen, but if you check on them, they don't even care. In 'every other place' !?!. The bars in Kampot, these girls have a family and a younger boyfriend, the white people make a lot of money, even the idiots. This seems amplified by a few seedy service locations. But take your average white narcissist, reality TV show contestants are just as promiscuous, if not more so. The price is just higher. I'd be happy to hear about any loser getting ripped off for a quick ride on the elevator of youth and deception.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:44 am
newsgatherer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:36 am This is a place here where lower class white people come to spend their money on poor families, I agree. It's a thin line that stretches for a few blocks, where many white people don't stray very far. You will find psychotic behavior from women who have been disappointed too often in their lives. I would still like to see some figures. I know a lot of girls are willing to get a few hundred a month for their child, and you see the world's oldest craft being passed down from generation to generation. But this is no longer the common factor. But it seems to be the preferred location for many people abroad. As for living beyond these areas, I can say that I always get exact and correct change when I buy eggs and bread.
Well it's easy access, the bar girls and freelancers speak english and have nothing but time to spend with you.
Meeting a "regular" woman here takes a bit more effort, unless maybe you're a sexy beast with a fat wallet, but I don't see too many of those expats around Kampot lol

But numbers would be interesting, ie what % of western visitors / expats hangs around the bars with ladies of the night and other westerners vs those having integrated more with Cambodian society and living in stable relationships.

I imagine there is a fair amount on CEO living the regular family life here in Cambodia, or elsewhere with a Cambodian wife.
However, having been a bar fly in Kampot for an extended time, I get the impression there is a majority of alternative #1.

Just the fact that every other place in Kampot town is a lady bar kind of speaks for itself.

Could be wrong though.
My Ethiopian brother; not every second bar in Kampot is a hostess bar

It's closer to every third bar in Kampot being hostess bar

And most of the hostesses have ended up there at the tail of a career spanning PP-SKV-KPT so that group and the detritus of their various families and partners is, I would venture, not representative of the majority of mixed families here but rather a concentration of both the less desirable elements of "western" and Khmer cultures

But that's just like my opinion, man
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

You really should get off your "white people" soap box. What class of people do you feel you represent?
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I'm not trying to represent any particular class, other than the one that looks at the typical bias and claims that the average Western, liberated individual is doing just fine, despite all the newcomers arriving in droves with one problem after another. It is hot air with a taste of kerosene.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic