Do you have children? How many? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How many children do you have?

1. None for me.
28%
2. One
15%
3. Two
20%
4. Three
13%
5. Four
13%
6. Five.
5%
7. Six.
3%
8. A lot.
5%

Total votes: 40
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Do you have children? How many? Poll.

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:20 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:18 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:09 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:07 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:03 pm

I tried to write a non-judgemental post about my own experience, but I agree I question the decisions of some guys in their late sixties or early seventies as well.

On the other hand, who am I to judge them? Maybe they deposited 100k USD in a trust for the kid. You can't judge a book by its' cover.
That makes sense, I would be doing the 50 cent beer as well if I just had to give up 100K USD :plus1:
Some people love the frugal style while having large sums stocked up....
Yea I'm sure that did happen at some point in time :thumb:
Even if you're right, which is likely, the question still is: who am I to judge them?
A decent human being that don't like to see kids produced left and right and then left behind? Or something along those lines.

If you have money and you want to have a kid and provide the best future you can for this kid .... you don't go to fucking Kampot and bang up a bar girl. Ffs.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:25 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:07 pm

That makes sense, I would be doing the 50 cent beer as well if I just had to give up 100K USD :plus1:
Even if you're right, which is likely, the question still is: who am I to judge them?
A decent human being that don't like to see kids produced left and right and then left behind? Or something along those lines.

If you have money and you want to have a kid and provide the best future you can for this kid .... you don't go to fucking Kampot and bang up a bar girl. Ffs.
When I see a 60+ year old with a young girl I can not make that up from what I see.
You seem to have inside information on some cases, ok. I don't.

When I am in Phnom Penh I sometimes see guys in their sixties or seventies with a baby. I have my own thoughts about it, but what do I know?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

YaTingPom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am Odd subject from someone who decided not to have kids and needs reassurance they did the correct thing!
Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people.

I have four but started late and my first was born when I was in my early 30s.
Really? You think people who don't have kids are selfish because the world needs more people?

I'll bet that the 12 million+ children in the United States who are food insecure would disagree. So would the 390,000 or so kids in the Unite States who are in the foster care system on any given day, along with the approximate 25,000 kids who age out of the foster care system every year who don't have anywhere to call home.

Before we start judging people for not having children and claiming we need more people in the world we should probably be taking care of the people that are here now.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

It's interesting how it is looked down upon for older people to have children, but I think many of them could make a living teaching English. I have seen a few children grow up to be exactly that. It is a dynamic economy with a young population. The middle class is growing exponentially, giving way to newcomers with international experience. Don’t forget doing business online, where English is even more dominant. I see a lot of opportunity as long as there is reasonable support from the father, ie. retirement plans, savings, etc.

Btw
It's not everyone here who's on 50cent beer and eggs with bacon every morning and two packs of cigs a day 😄
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:58 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:25 pm

When I see a 60+ year old with a young girl I can not make that up from what I see.
You seem to have inside information on some cases, ok. I don't.

When I am in Phnom Penh I sometimes see guys in their sixties or seventies with a baby. I have my own thoughts about it, but what do I know?
Either way, as I said, kudos to the good parents!
I know there are many of them here, who respects their partners, and who want the best for their offspring.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newsgatherer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:20 pm It's interesting how it is looked down upon for older people to have children, but I think many of them could make a living teaching English. I have seen a few children grow up to be exactly that. It is a dynamic economy with a young population. The middle class is growing exponentially, giving way to newcomers with international experience. Don’t forget doing business online, where English is even more dominant. I see a lot of opportunity as long as there is reasonable support from the father, ie. retirement plans, savings, etc.

Btw
It's not everyone here who's on 50cent beer and eggs with bacon every morning and two packs of cigs a day 😄
Well, it's one thing if "it happens", and you do the best of it, whether you're 30 or 80.
It's another thing if you as a 70 year old alcoholic go to a poor country to have babies with a poor woman because it makes you feel young again, or whatever.

This country is littered with left behind children, and no they don't grow up to be english teachers. They grow up in the countryside with gramma and grampa while mom is working in the bar.

But I realize this is a side of Cambodia we like to pretend don't exist, and if it does exist at least it has nothing to do with us good expats that are simply here to spread the wealth and teach English to the locals.

Again not trying to shit on the good parents up in here, just keeping it real.

Also, guys of all ages do this shit, I'm not trying to say it's a problem exclusive to older dads.
That was simply how this little sidetrack started.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I fit in the group of '' not having any kids '' and '' raising 4 Cambodian kids '' if that makes any sense. The oldest now supports herself but the youngest 3 sisters still rely on me as their only means of support. Hasn't been easy raising 4 girls as none of them came with operating instructions but by the time I hit 85y I hope I will be able to say successful mission accomplished.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:14 pm
This country is littered with left behind children, and no they don't grow up to be english teachers. They grow up in the countryside with gramma and grampa while mom is working in the bar.

But I realize this is a side of Cambodia we like to pretend don't exist, and if it does exist at least it has nothing to do with us good expats that are simply here to spread the wealth and teach English to the locals.

I find it hard to believe that countless numbers of Western descendants are deprived of opportunities and lost out on the countryside. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of stories about mixed Asian kids in the West who got into trouble because of ethnic barriers. I think most Westerners would have some sort of plan before impregnating a Riverside lady? There are no readily available statistics, so any discussion is purely subjective. But I imagine you've seen a lot of mixed foreign children lost in the countryside here? Do you work with an NGO? Does anyone have access to statistics or is it purely speculation?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kenr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am Odd subject from someone who decided not to have kids and needs reassurance they did the correct thing!
Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people.

I have four but started late and my first was born when I was in my early 30s.
Really? You think people who don't have kids are selfish because the world needs more people?

I'll bet that the 12 million+ children in the United States who are food insecure would disagree. So would the 390,000 or so kids in the Unite States who are in the foster care system on any given day, along with the approximate 25,000 kids who age out of the foster care system every year who don't have anywhere to call home.

Before we start judging people for not having children and claiming we need more people in the world we should probably be taking care of the people that are here now.
Lol @ "food insecure" ref ...
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

YaTingPom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am Personally I think non breeders are selfish as the world needs people.
Give it a second thought: the world is already dramatically overpopulated, the Earth Overshoot Day in 2013 was in August. I recently had this discussion with a Muslim, who strongly supported to have multiple children and the answer to the supply issue was trade and import. I am still scratching my head from which planet we should import food and other ressources to keep the world population alive without fucking up the planet, especially when putting into consideration that we want to go back to organic farming.
Not getting children is the most logical thing, you can do for our planet at the moment. Giving the ball back, I would state that getting more than one child is actually selfish, since you put your personal desires of unnecessary reproduction above the benefit of the planet and the earth population.

Disclaimer:
No personal offence to anyone. Before answering give a logical and emotionless thought on the facts
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic