Russians ordered to leave Sri Lanka within two weeks.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Russians ordered to leave Sri Lanka within two weeks.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Sri Lanka ends visas for hundreds of thousands of Russians staying there to avoid war

Investigation launched into order asking Russians to leave country amid blacklash over ‘whites only policy’

by Shweta Sharma
28/02/24

Sri Lanka has told hundreds of thousands of Russians and some Ukrainians staying in the country to escape the war that they must leave in the next two weeks, immigration officers said.

The immigration controller issued a notice to the tourism ministry asking Russian and Ukrainian people staying on extended tourist visas to leave Sri Lanka within two weeks from 23 February.

Just over 288,000 Russians and nearly 20,000 Ukrainians have traveled to Sri Lanka in the last two years since the war began, according to official data.

Commissioner-General of Immigration said the “government is not granting further visa extensions” as the “flight situation has now normalised”.

However, the office of president Ranil Wickremesinghe ordered an investigation of the notice to the tourism ministry in an apparent bid to prevent diplomatic tensions.

The president’s office said that the notice had been issued without prior cabinet approval and the government had not officially decided to revoke the visa extensions, reported the Sri Lankan newspaper Daily Mirror.

The exact number of visitors who extended their stay beyond the typical 30-day tourist visa duration remains unclear.

However, concerns have been raised over thousands of Russians and a smaller number of Ukrainians staying in the country for an extended period of time and even setting up their own restaurants and nightclubs

Tourism minister Harin Fernando told Daily Mirror that the ministry has been receiving complaints of some Russian tourists running unregistered and illegal businesses in the southern part of the country.
In a bid to boost tourism and recover from its worst economic crisis since 2022, Sri Lanka began granting 30-days visas on arrival and extensions for up to six months.

In April 2022, the nation defaulted on its $46bn (£36 bn) foreign debt. The economic crisis triggered violent street protests for several months and ultimately culminated in the resignation of then-president Gotabaya Rajapaksa three months later.

Raids were conducted by the authorities following discussions with the Immigration Department, he said.

It comes amid a furious social media backlash over Russian-run businesses with a “whites only” policy that strictly bars locals. These businesses include bars, restaurants, water sports and vehicle hiring services.

In a bid to boost tourism and recover from its worst economic crisis since 2022, Sri Lanka began granting 30-days visas on arrival and extensions for up to six months.

In April 2022, the nation defaulted on its $46bn (£36 bn) foreign debt. The economic crisis triggered violent street protests for several months and ultimately culminated in the resignation of then-president Gotabaya Rajapaksa three months later.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/sout ... 03665.html#
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Russians ordered to leave Sri Lanka within two weeks.

Post by Random Dude »

So 288,000 Russians will be looking for a new home very soon. Wonder where they'll end up, or if countries like Thailand are urgently looking at changing their visa policy to keep them out.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Smart people. Nobody want to die for the war industry interests. Poland and Europe is full of young Ukrainians avoiding war also. Its not their war.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

War is stupid ... can't say I blame them. I love partying with both Ukrainians and Russians ... super fun people.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:55 pm So 288,000 Russians will be looking for a new home very soon. Wonder where they'll end up, or if countries like Thailand are urgently looking at changing their visa policy to keep them out.
they just changed immigration to allow them visa free exempt entry for 90 days!!

personally dont blame them one bit for fleeing their country to avoid dying for a maniac.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:30 pm
Random Dude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:55 pm So 288,000 Russians will be looking for a new home very soon. Wonder where they'll end up, or if countries like Thailand are urgently looking at changing their visa policy to keep them out.
they just changed immigration to allow them visa free exempt entry for 90 days!!

personally dont blame them one bit for fleeing their country to avoid dying for a maniac.
I don't blame them either, good luck to them I say. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they were wearing out their welcome in Thailand though, I'd have thought the idea of another 288,000 would be alarming. But, I suppose that as long as they can pay their way they're probably great for the tourism industry. I'm sure the majority of them are probably no worse than tourists from any other country.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The locals were pissed off by the "Whites Only" event at a night club.
It will all soon blow over and be back to normal.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/sri- ... rcna140640

It is also unclear whether the end of the visa extensions was related to the recent outcry, but one of those nightclubs was at the center of the outrage over a planned party.

A poster advertising a “White Party” last weekend at the Sarayka Lounge in Unawatuna, a coastal town about 3 miles from the southern tourist hub of Galle, specified a white dress code as is typical for such events.

But the poster, which was shared widely on social media and seen by NBC News, also included a line that said “Face Control: White,” drawing outrage from social media users who interpreted it to mean that only white people could attend the event.

Three Russian DJs were expected to play at the event, according to the poster.

In a post on Instagram last Friday, the bar said it had canceled the event and “will never support various racist statements or organizations.”
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The first thing that came to mind was how quickly it can all change when living in another country. And while this particular instance of visa issue and withdrawal isn't typical because of the war Russia is involved in, it does remind you it can all change in the blink of an eye - that sticker or stamp in your passport is no magical monkey paw guaranteeing you any kind of real security.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:40 pm The first thing that came to mind was how quickly it can all change when living in another country. And while this particular instance of visa issue and withdrawal isn't typical because of the war Russia is involved in, it does remind you it can all change in the blink of an eye - that sticker or stamp in your passport is no magical monkey paw guaranteeing you any kind of real security.
Indeed.

Which is why this clothed ape stays to renting and not owning.
Always with enough money stashed to skip dodge and setup in a new place.

It wouldn't be the first time.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

As far as I'm concerned, they're all welcome in Cambodia. Russians are good people, and I have zero qualms against any of them (neither does every Khmer person I know)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic